So please tell me again, how McD is Dick Jauron

Reader

As we all know, Dick "It's hard to win in the NFL" Jauron was the king of run run pass, bend don't break and exhilarating games that ended 17-14.

Here we have McD, one of the most aggressive coaches on 4th down. A coach who seems to trust Daboll and wants a clock controlling strategy when up while not being afraid to take risks as well.

What is most baffling to me is this narrative of Jauron = McD even when the direct facts contradict it. Yesterday someone in the game thread complained, as we were losing, about how we doing conservative football. That drive was a 3 and out of a run, a pass and a pass. Both passes aimed for past the sticks. Do I simply not understand what conservative football is? 

Sean gets conservative with just grinding out small leads because he's got a great defense and he's insanely afraid of getting a turnover.

Example:  last week Denver game up 3 possessions with 7 minutes left he just runs straight ahead into a 10 man front over and over.   Not necessarily bad, just boring football.

He can seem JauronEsque for that approach.   

Got him 3 more wins than last year already tho....im not complaining.

He never was, also... He’s evolving. 

The conservative play, on that late 3rd down, was to run the ball, let the clock roll and kick the FG to go up 19.  

He let Allen throw for the TD.  We didn’t convert, but he trusted Allen to go for the punctuation mark when all we needed was a FG to basically end the game. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Sean gets conservative with just grinding out small leads because he's got a great defense and he's insanely afraid of getting a turnover.

Example:  last week Denver game up 3 possessions with 7 minutes left he just runs straight ahead into a 10 man front over and over.   Not necessarily bad, just boring football.

He can seem JauronEsque for that approach.   

Got him 3 more wins than last year already tho....im not complaining.

Actually, over the last three weeks, they have run uptempo, no-huddle offenses with small leads - and played more conservative only when they had comfortable leads late in the game - which is smart football. 

As someone who has made the comparison, and even some memes about it, McD is changing/learning/evolving, which is wonderful and what I wanted to see.

Even when I was criticizing McD for being too conservative, I always said he shouldnt be fired and given at least a couple more years to continue to learn and grow as a new Head Coach.

Just like those of us who criticized Daboll through the first half of the season. Daboll was underperforming, and then made some changes, went back up to the booth, implemented the no huddle, and things have improved. That's GREAT! That's exactly what fans should want to see from our criticisms. Doesnt mean those earlier criticisms were wrong or inaccurate.

I'd argue that with the changes we've seen from the staff, the criticisms were fair and accurate. Even better that the coaches were able to see and address it as well.

Having staff learn and grow is much better than having to fire them and rebuild.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He isn't. Never was. People just like making up things because they have nothing better to do.

21 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It was a crap comparison to begin with.  The only similarities are the fact that they both come from a defensive background.  

Oh, BS.

Not only defensive backgrounds, they run almost the exact same soft, bend-but-dont-break, Tampa-2 defensive scheme.

They are both risk-averse

They both struggle with clock and TO management at the end of halves

They both dial it back once merely a one-score lead is established

They both like to keep it close, keep the clock running, and then see what happens since "it's tough to win games in the NFL"

They were even more alike before the last few weeks, but credit to Sean for being willing to change and make adjustments. That is the key differentiator that we didnt see out of previous failed coaches.

I look forward to keeping McD around and watching him grow away from being like Jauron, and more like being his own self and winning HC.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, BS.

Not only defensive backgrounds, they run almost the exact same soft, bend-but-dont-break, Tampa-2 defensive scheme.

They both like to keep it close, keep the clock running, and then see what happens since "it's tough to win games in the NFL"

They were even more alike before the last few weeks, but credit to Sean for being willing to change and make adjustments. That is the key differentiator that we didnt see out of previous failed coaches.

I look forward to keeping McD around and watching him grow away from being like Jauron, and more like being his own self and winning HC.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ask Sotier....he will pound the table they are twins.

Opps, forgot to log out and back in as Sotier... CRAP!

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh, BS.

Oh BS

They are not bend break defense.   They are one of the stingiest defenses in the league in yardage and points.

And your misperception of him being conservative is exactly that, a misperception.

They played to the talent level of their team, they were less talented therefore the play calling etc was for the team they had, as their talent level rose the play calling and aggressiveness followed.

like I said, lazy analysis for anyone to believe that MCD is anything like Jauron.   Not to mention that the culture that he has brought to the team is vastly different.

11 minutes ago, seven&nine said:

I like where McDermott is as a coach now - but I will never understand punting in OT against the Colts two years ago. It somehow worked out but that was the ultimate Jauron move.

Because it was the right move.   Bills defense had been shutting them down and our offense had been struggling.  The idea was to punt and pin them down, stop them, get the ball back and score.

Guess what?  That’s what ended up happening

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know about the comparison, but I think there is a marked difference in the offense, and maybe the team overall, since he told them to start playing fearless a few weeks back.  I think he realized they needed to play a more aggressive style on O if they want to achieve their goal this year.  It's working...

Edited by TPS