McDermott's in game adjustments...

Hebert19

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Whatever he said or changed the last 3 games is working wonders. We honestly look like a new team. The defense is getting a ton of pressure and sacks and the offense of firing on all cylinders 

better coaching ?

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is probably the biggest, and best change.  McD has largely ditched the Jauron-esque play not to lose method of coaching.  He still has to get rid of the prevent defense tendencies, but one step at a time I suppose.

I mean not really, it's smart to play prevent D when you are up 2+ scores halfway through the 4th. 

I know sometimes it gets scary, and even there are times when it could blow up in your face -- but overall he is playing the odds by going prevent with the lead in the 4th. To say that is wrong I can't agree with. 

I don't like it as a fan because I don't like seeing Allen get shut down with 8+ minutes left on the clock (run run run + prevent D), but I understand it. It's smart. 

Edited by BillsFan692

9 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Someone dunk on me if I'm way off base, but is anyone getting the sense that he treats the first opponent drive of the game a little differently? Not that he want the opponent to score, but is he purposely not dialing up his best stuff as he gathers information?

That what the great ones do. Mcdermott is a schemer. Belichick does the same thing. People forget that our coach is growing too

57 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Let's not forget that HC's can be rookies and go through a learning process as well as a player. I think he's just learning as he goes and it's starting to show.

I think the prevent is fine if you have a 3 score lead late in the 4th. That last TD by Dallas was of no consequence. I thought giving up short completions was the right move.

I agree that HC's go through rookie learning curves and that is what we've seen from McD the past two years.  Hopefully he's coming around.

The late TD by Dallas may have been of no consequence, but do you see Belichick, Carroll, Payton, or Harbaugh doing the same?  Not usually, and they're not afraid to blow out another team.  This is the type of mindset that I would like to see McD acquire.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I mean not really, it's smart to play prevent D when you are up 2+ scores halfway through the 4th. 

I know sometimes it gets scary, and even there are times when it could blow up in your face -- but overall he is playing the odds by going prevent with the lead in the 4th. To say that is wrong I can't agree with. 

I don't like it as a fan because I don't like seeing Allen get shut down with 8+ minutes left on the clock (run run run + prevent D), but I understand it. It's smart. 

Why is the prevent D smart?  I honestly cannot see how that is.  You also eluded to taking your foot off the gas on offense (run, run, run, punt).  If you play a conservative offense halfway through the 4th, as well as a prevent D, you're inviting the opponent back in the game.  Super Bowl winning coaches tend not to do that.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I don't think we've lost a game from this position either. As in it hasn't backfired. 

Edited by london_bills

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is probably the biggest, and best change.  McD has largely ditched the Jauron-esque play not to lose method of coaching.  He still has to get rid of the prevent defense tendencies, but one step at a time I suppose.

I have noticed a difference in execution since the 'fearless' call. I've noticed players playing better since then. I've noticed great defence and more blitzing and the offence also getting way better. Under mcdermott Ive noticed more 4th down calls this season. 

I hadn't noticed this change you mention from the 'jauron esque' play not to lose coaching that you mention? Could you elaborate? 

I wouldn't call him jauron like at all as a person but if defensive/cautious is what you mean as a coach I'm not sure I've seen a huge change in that philosophy? 

Edited by london_bills

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I have noticed a difference in execution since the 'fearless' call. I've noticed players playing better since then. I've noticed great defence and more blitzing and the offence also getting way better. Under mcdermott Ive noticed more 4th down calls this season. 

I hadn't noticed this change you mention from the 'jauron esque' play not to lose coaching that you mention? Could you elaborate? 

I wouldn't call him jauron like at all as a person but if defensive/cautious is what you mean as a coach I'm not sure I've seen a huge change in that philosophy? 

Look at the past three weeks games against Miami, Denver, and Dallas.  Compare those to the Cleveland, Philly, and Cincy games; night and day difference in his approach both on offense and defense.

The Jauron-esque comment was largely directed toward the defense, though also on offense with his approach to JA being a game manager (don't make mistakes) to allowing Josh to be a more attacking type QB (which he naturally is.)  Jauron  also ran a very vanilla d-line scheme with not much stunting or blitzing; McD largely followed suit that past two years.  

McD has adopted a more aggressive defense the past few weeks, something he was reluctant to do in the past, where he tended to rely largely on coverage (which is what Jauron did.)  So, I think that is a significant change in philosophy.  This should be noticeable.  I do hope McD stops with his prevent D when he gets a 10-14 point lead, as well as his run, run, run, punt go-in-a-shell offensive tendency; this only invites the opponent back in the game.

I don't think Jauron and McD are the same person, just that they have a tendency to be very conservative/cautious.   I do think McD is a much better coach and prepares his team in a manner Jauron did not do.  Maybe McD is still learning how to be a successful NFL coach and working through growing pains like a rookie player would.

I mean, it's been a LONG time - but we finally have the holy triumvirate of champions:  a smart GM, a franchise QB, and a great coach.

Yesterday was such a big test:  national TV, huge audience, down by 7 to a desperate team.  Watching how McD and Allen both stepped up and had perhaps the best games of their professional careers made me feel very confident about how this team will be come playoff time, when the lights & noise get jacked up to 11.