McDermott's in game adjustments...

Hebert19

There are a lot on here that give McDermott a hard time about his in game coaching but I think hes improved dramatically.  He has always been able to get the most out of his players and is a phenomenal leader of men...but yesterday showed his in game improvements as well. 

1.  This D always adjusts during game.  They are amazing at getting things right after first drive or a tough first half. 

2.  He won a challenge.  Wow.  Ha

3.  The challenge he didnt win.  It was the right thing to do.  Romo was spot on.   Who cares about the timeout there.  It was close and worth a look as game is over if we got.  

4.  When to kick and when to go.   He knows hauschka is struggling and has been more aggressive as a result.

5.  When to call a player out.  The move with oliver a few games back has lit a fire.  Same with star having less snaps.  

I for one think hes in the top 3 spots right now for coach of the year.  Great work by him.  This team is always ready to play. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I agree about sending a clear message to Star and Oliver. Those two have really stepped up their game and are a big reason our defense is so disruptive. They are forcing more movement upfront and giving our DE's more opportunities. They are also giving Milano and Edmunds chances to pursue to the ball and make plays.

Right now he's gotta be in the discussion for Coach of the Year.

In the conversation: Harbaugh, Shanahan, Payton, Tomlin if he wins a few more with those QBs, Belichick - even though he seems like old news, the D is historic right now and though Brady seems pretty mediocre they've still only lost once.

The fact that most people underestimate the actual talent on the Bills and assumed the Bills were going to be terrible should play in McDs favor. I think if he beats either the Ravens or the Patriots (granted that's a huge if) and ends up with 11 or 12 wins, he'll be coach of the year. He may get it even if he loses to both, though in that case, I would guess Harbaugh wins it, assuming the Ravens don't lose more than one other game.

11 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Someone dunk on me if I'm way off base, but is anyone getting the sense that he treats the first opponent drive of the game a little differently? Not that he want the opponent to score, but is he purposely not dialing up his best stuff as he gathers information?

I heard that same sentiment on the WGR post game show.

During the game the announcers were also praising McD for the play of the defense.  While not to take away anything from him being the overall leader, I do wonder though how much is actually him vs Fraiser?  Obviously if your background is on defense, you're going to spend more time on that side of the ball, but how much in game tweaks are on him (or any coach)  vrs coordinators.

That's not just true of McD but of all coaches in the league too.

I do give McD full credit for the challenge wins and deciding when to go or not go for it on 4th down and other things going on outside the game itself. 

30 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Someone dunk on me if I'm way off base, but is anyone getting the sense that he treats the first opponent drive of the game a little differently? Not that he want the opponent to score, but is he purposely not dialing up his best stuff as he gathers information?

It's almost like the reverse of the old Bill Walsh first 15 players are scripped regardless of what happens WRT down and distance, etc.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I said in the 2nd half game day thread yesterday before the half started how I felt confident going in because McDermott does a good job adjusting and getting the team prepared. I felt he would make better adjustments than the Cowboys staff at the half and he sure did. 

Obviously it's the work the entire coaching staff's putting in but it starts at the top with McDermott. I've picked up from his pressers he's a very smart, detail oriented person. Always talking about technique and strategies. Now that he has the talent it's showing what his coaching philosophy is capable of especially with the coaches and players he surrounds himself with. 

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Whatever he said or changed the last 3 games is working wonders. We honestly look like a new team. The defense is getting a ton of pressure and sacks and the offense of firing on all cylinders 

He told the team to play fearless. And I think that's been the change. They aren't just playing fearless, but coaching fearless as well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's almost like the reverse of the old Bill Walsh first 15 players are scripped regardless of what happens WRT down and distance, etc.

I think most teams have done this on defense since the 90s. The offense scripts plays to test matchups. The defense scripts to hide their real game plan.

Edited by vincec

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He told the team to play fearless. And I think that's been the change. They aren't just playing fearless, but coaching fearless as well.

This is probably the biggest, and best change.  McD has largely ditched the Jauron-esque play not to lose method of coaching.  He still has to get rid of the prevent defense tendencies, but one step at a time I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's not forget that HC's can be rookies and go through a learning process as well as a player. I think he's just learning as he goes and it's starting to show.

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is probably the biggest, and best change.  McD has largely ditched the Jauron-esque play not to lose method of coaching.  He still has to get rid of the prevent defense tendencies, but one step at a time I suppose.

I think the prevent is fine if you have a 3 score lead late in the 4th. That last TD by Dallas was of no consequence. I thought giving up short completions was the right move.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

It really seems that way doesn't it.