THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Answer

Shaw66

You are correct, it was the play of the game, 

Go Bills!!!

Like the point from Tiger about the schedule helping us in our development. I also think your counterpoint has merit Shaw. As always, it's probably somewhere between the two. ;)

Allen showed just how good he might become yesterday. While he's pretty obviously one of those guys who has 'competitor' running through their DNA, he is starting to know when to use that to the teams best advantage.

The D-line appears to be all getting on the same page, and operating at the sort of level last seen under Schwartz. McDermott and Fraziers mixture of blitzes and stunts, is creating regular pressure. Lawson is particularly starting to bloom.

The Secondary was spot on with the 'bend but don't break' play, and rarely actually gave easy yards, even then.

I'll take the occasional poor punt, for more of the 58 yarders that pinned the Cowgirls back to their own 10, and switched field position, after Allen had made the spectacular throw to Beasley from the Endzone.

With the exception of Hauschka, pretty much a complete team performance. There may also be some excuse for him, as the Cowgirls kicker, muffed a couple also.

I do believe this team is currently a good team. When you can beat who is in front of you, and the zebras, enough said. I feel we are about to find out just how good over the next few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic that we can gain another couple of wins, at least.

For all we have some tough games coming up, whoever we play will also be viewing those games as tough, for them.

I don't necessarily know why, but I like the Ravens matchup. We seem to play them pretty hard historically. Home field could be important.

An error free Allen, could well give the Patriots a serious run for their money, and we've already shown we can beat the team that's in front of us, and the zebras, yesterday.

The Steelers will be hard, but with QB issues, we can, and should, get past them.

The Jest have improved, and will be another harder game than it looked like it was going to be earlier in the season, but with home field advantage, we again should come through.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen a lot of crap officiating over the years but it's never been as blatantly home cooked as it was yesterday. I had a feeling the NFL would try to make it up to Dallas after the phantom tripping calls last week. This is partly why yesterday's win felt so special to me. We didn't just take down the Cowboys, we took down the entire NFL, not to mention all the people that said our record was a mirage. Only lifelong Bills fans can understand what this win means.

One of the very best football games I've ever seen, in terms of entertainment, was the Monday night loss to the Cowboys.   Incredible game.  And it was going to be a signature win.   

Finally, when the signature win happens, it's the Cowboys again, on national tv again.  

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks Shaw and happy thanksgiving!

This win and this season feels different.  We have a coach and GM on the same page with the same vision.  This vision has not been obvious over the past 2 seasons to the fan base all the time; we were told to "trust the process".  Over the past 3 games it is all beginning to make season.  This team reminds me of 1988, and while they are not running away with the East, we are seeing the beginning of something good.

I think first half strength of schedule benefitted the Bills a lot, more especially Allen and the offence in general (including Daboll). The takeaway though is not, as most in the national media concluded, that the Bills are therefore pretenders. On the contrary it gave them the opportunity, well used, to improve against lesser competition so that they could be competitive against better teams now. 

Call me crazy but I rate them at or very near even money with the Pats at this time. They actually outplayed them earlier this year except that Allen had a horrendous game with lots of TOs. He has cleaned up his ball security and has otherwise improved his game a lot. He is a very different QB now than he was then. He's a better QB than today's Tom Brady IMO. Bills will seriously challenge for the division title next year. They could very well be favoured.

Im more interested in seeing how they make out against Lamar and the Ravens because, at least in my mind, the question is whether the power run game continues to be their kryptonite. If McD and Frazier have figured out how to scheme for that the Bills will be a very dangerous team in the playoffs. 

On O things are coming together. Their talent at all positions except at QB is acceptable by NFL standards, but not more than that. Thing is they are hugely talented at the all important position and that by itself can raise the level considerably.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Hauschka missed the extra point, but somehow it felt like the game was over. 

This is an understanding fact, but it definitely is accurate... It did feel over there. I was still nervous due to years of Bills being billsy, but that felt like the big sleep for the Boys... 

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I agree that the Bills are a good football team.  However, I think they were beneficiaries of a schedule that was overloaded with weak teams early in the schedule.  Their offense was not particularly good in September.  They had nine new starters and Josh Allen was still, for all intents and purposes a rookie.  They had some talent, but they were not yet a cohesive, quality offense.  They won a lot of games because they did have a solid defense and because they had a weak schedule.  What that allowed them to do was to pile up enough wins to be a playoff contender while their offense was developing.  Fast forward to November: Buffalo's completely overhauled offensive line has learned to play together.  Josh Allen is making few mistakes and acting like a veteran.  He has chemistry with John Brown and Cole Beasley and the offense is starting to get solid contributions from Devin Singletary, and to a lesser extent Dawson Knox and Robert Foster.  In essence, they have grown into their record.  ESPN gives them a 95%  chance of making the playoffs.  I think they have a reasonable chance of making it out of wild card weekend still alive.  After that, we'll see.

This is a good post. The beauty of complimentary football is that you can bail each other out. Now Josh is ready to unleash hell and the Defense gets to reap the rewards of their hard work early this season. They're peaking at the very best time. 

Edited by whatdrought

46 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

One of the very best football games I've ever seen, in terms of entertainment, was the Monday night loss to the Cowboys.   Incredible game.  And it was going to be a signature win.   

Finally, when the signature win happens, it's the Cowboys again, on national tv again.  

That MNF cloud has hung over my head ever since that game, yes, it was a great game, unless you were a Bill's fan.  I left a whole party of people in my house that night and went straight to bed in shock after the game, people were quiet in my house, mostly all cowboy fans, they could see my pain.  I simply said...goodnight everyone, and walked straight to the bedroom.  I feel like that cloud was removed for me yesterday, I can finally move on from it.  What a Happy Thanksgiving.  Great post btw, always enjoy them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Like you - that instant the snap was muffed, I went right to the sad-sack Bill's feelings...  Then watched in awe as Allen pulled it out of the pile - and finally broke free to get the first down.

What this game did for me was reminiscent of a different '60s song than Revolution #9....  "I'm a Billiever"  This isn't the teams of futility we languished on over the past 20 years.  Even when we were 'winning' - it was always enmeshed with failure.  If this team struggles during the rest of the season, I still feel like I can finally turn the page on doubt that they have the wherewithal to pull through. Gone is the misery of watching success turn to defeat in prime time games - or just flat out getting destroyed.  For me, this game marked a turning point.  I was not expecting a win this week.  I was sure all of the heat piled on to the Cowboys and the short week where we had to travel were all going to create a loss.  The first drive did nothing to assuage that feeling as we watched Dallas cut through our defense to put up 7. I was sure the largesse of Allen's first big show was going to shake him.  I was wrong.  Allen never seemed to lose his composure at all.  He did what great leaders do, made the people around him better.  I'm not worried about this receiving corps.  Allen is learning how to use them - and was able to use his legs not to always run (which he still did effectively) but also to find the open route.

Go Bills.

(And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought about this yesterday - but Pancho was there.)

For me personally yesterday and really the whole season has always been all about Allen. His growth this year has been startling...he's clearly figuring things out. He looks composed, in command, his guys are running through walls for him, and he's only going to get better. That's what yesterday solidified for me even though I've been saying it all year- they struck gold w/Allen and now the sky really is the limit going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I was deployed when that MNF game aired. I remember being in a state of euphoric shock that the Bills managed to take the ball away so many times and were going to win. All while actually getting to watch instead of waiting and hoping AFN would air a replay or at best portions of the game. A huge game on MNF. Then - they lost.

Fast forward 12 years, and I'm deployed (again), the Bills are playing the Cowboys in Dallas (again) on a nationally televised game (again). They're winning, and have a couple amazing turn-overs that are helping (again).

Dear God, please don't let everything be the same this time.

God is great.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

I’m not sure what a “signature win” really is but yesterday’s game will help this team infinitely more than just in the win column. They now know or at least should know what level they need to play at to compete with the elite. Not saying that Dallas is elite, although they have some elite players. But the Bills out executed the Cowboys! They know how a team needs to play to be elite because they did it! I know sounds corny but it’s like riding a bike. You haven’t done it until you actually do and of course you don’t forget!

There will still be bumps in the road. More to learn and mistakes to make but yesterday this team took a giant step toward being a perennial contender; a force. This took place with many of the players but no one more key to this franchises future than Josh Allen!!

That great throw down the sideline on the run was to Foster. How about Allen’s throw on the run from our end zone to Beasley?? They were beautiful!!

• Like (+1) 1

Eerie, similar responses Shaw!

Recap. I have been a Bills’ fan, since leaving the Packers bandwagon about the early 1970s. As a Canadian, shortly thereafter gapping the CFL. My logical progression was acquiring at least two sets of Season Tickets in the early 80s and then gapping them, as I unwittingly chose Strike Years! ?? Nonetheless, I persisted, still attending single games and then re-entering Season Ticket status with a large, like minded Bills’ fan posse for the commencement of the Glory Years’ run in 1988.

Saw them live beat the Oilers on a cold, sunlit day in January, 1989 and then freeze to the Bungles.

Saw Ronnie Friggin’ Harmon drop that immortal Pass against the Brownies in a bar... buuuuuut, at the same time, saw the emergence of the wildly ahead of its time- K Gun!

Followed by 4 unbelievable years, where we all thought the Bills could win every game! 

Forward to yesterday, where I felt transported at Q1 7-0, back to my XXVII seat in Pasadena, watching these bloody Cowgirls run wild- embarrassing the Bills!

Oh noooo... not again! 

And now yesterday, because I had seen those 4 years of Glory, riddled with Canton members, I felt I knew Bills’ EXCELLENCE! So, like yourself, I thought the Bills were... Good only, based on the Division 3 stiffs they were beating. And don’t get me wrong! NO other Bills’ team was able to do so, this Millennium.

We knew the D was very good! And, oh my, did they lead the charge again yesterday, reducing + 400 yards of O, into mush! Blitzing, attacking, walling off- wonderful.

And then, there’s the QB... again a work in the evaluation progress. We know his weakness- the long ball. But gradually, before yesterday, his growing strengths have come to the fore. 
First- I call them Darts. This wonderful ability to, both in the pocket & most impressively on the run, fire these touch strikes to all manner of Receivers!

Second- The BEST, most elusive Running QB this side of Jackson & Wilson! VERY threatening to the D.

Third- The Brady success play! Finally, the Bills have a mobile, 6’ 5” beast of a QB and have figured out... you run to the line on 3rd./4th. & 1 and power ahead immediately! No navel gazing, no hand wringing TOs. Simply get up there and DO IT!

Fourth- Leadership. Every, highly successfully QB needs it and Allen has it in Spades. NO, that 4th. Down Fumble First Down was not David Tyree. But, it took yuuuuge heads up smarts & bustamontes to do ALL the right things! The type of things, your young team rallies behind & supports you 1000% in your decision making in the future.

Fifth- Minimizing Bad Decisions! 

And today? Oh, the Bills have become a VERY Good team!
Not elite.

Not yet.

But on the Road to the Playoffs and First Round W.

I would not relish the job of the elite Ravens arriving in Buffalo next weekend! 
Cold, snow, sleet, rain and 75,000 out of their mind fanatics, making for a miserable day!

Deficiencies?

* Clearly, the eedgit Kicker.

* NO elite WRs, but ones that can catch balls finally (say goodnight to the Zays & Josh... Reed stiffs of yesteryear)

And for me, ooooooh... the sweet, sweet sound of Schadenfreude over America’s most hated team on its’ most important yearly day, in its gaudy House! 
The Ghosts of the Past have been exorcised! 

BONUS ROUND! 

Like you and so many Bills’ fans, this was a literal Home game, where we Canadians laid on the Thanksgiving Bird for our family and its combo Yankee- Canuck components, some of whom had never, before experienced one! ????????

Which means, I did not attend my local Pub, where an absolutely obnoxious Get off my lawn, Cowgirls’ curmudgeon-fan resides and has ruled the roost, because of his longevity. He loves to rub it in and in fact, went from TO to big D, to attend this Thanksgiving Day Classic in person. ?

Oooooooooh, how many hours are left until Sunday?????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bring it said:

I’m not sure what a “signature win” really is but yesterday’s game will help this team infinitely more than just in the win column. They now know or at least should know what level they need to play at to compete with the elite. Not saying that Dallas is elite, although they have some elite players. But the Bills out executed the Cowboys! They know how a team needs to play to be elite because they did it! I know sounds corny but it’s like riding a bike. You haven’t done it until you actually do and of course you don’t forget!

There will still be bumps in the road. More to learn and mistakes to make but yesterday this team took a giant step toward being a perennial contender; a force. This took place with many of the players but no one more key to this franchises future than Josh Allen!!

That great throw down the sideline on the run was to Foster. How about Allen’s throw on the run from our end zone to Beasley?? They were beautiful!!

Foster, thanks.   And yes, the throw from the end zone, too.  But they all were good.   I mean, the guy looked like one of the greats, like Brees or Brady throwing 10 straight completions, including third down completion after third down completion.  He's putting it all together, and he's not done, not by a long shot.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Foster, thanks.   And yes, the throw from the end zone, too.  But they all were good.   I mean, the guy looked like one of the greats, like Brees or Brady throwing 10 straight completions, including third down completion after third down completion.  He's putting it all together, and he's not done, not by a long shot.  

His throws on the run were pin-point accurate. Like Rodgers throwing on the run. It was super-impressive. I had non-Bills fans watching with me who hadn't really seen Allen play and they were commenting on that. People are taking notice of this kid. He's a star. 

He reminds me of a mix between Favre and Rodgers. Biggest competitor on the field, but super calm and collected.

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

His throws on the run were pin-point accurate. Like Rodgers throwing on the run. It was super-impressive. I had non-Bills fans watching with me who hadn't really seen Allen play and they were commenting on that. People are taking notice of this kid. He's a star. 

He reminds me of a mix between Favre and Rodgers. Biggest competitor on the field, but super calm and collected.

Part Favre, part Rodgers.   If he gets to free agency, will the Bills be bidding against the Packers?

For the life of me, I can't see why the Cowboys pass so much. I guess everyone feels like they have to abandon the run (except Greg Roman) because that's how the "21st century offense" works. That's stupid. They have 3 guys at or near all-pro level on their OL and arguably one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL. They should be running the ball a LOT more, even if they are behind by a score or 2 in the 3rd Q.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Oliver sack, leading to the 4th and 1 conversion, leading to the incredible trick play was the best sequence I've seen from the Bills in a long time. One game changing play after another. I knew the Cowboys wouldn't be able to recover. If a phantom flag hadn't been thrown on J Phillips, the defense would have had turnovers on 3 consecutive drives. Really incredible in-game adjustments from the coaches.

That was a terrible call too.  His hand was on the top of his shoulder pads in the neck area.  I felt the crew was Dallas leaning.  The refs imo kept the game from becoming a blow out.