Turning point in the game

Big Blitz

Dallas going for it on their own 19.  

Maybe it would have played out like it did anyway but I'm not so sure.  Dallas is up 7-0 with the first quarter winding down.  They have about 130 yards of offense already.  3rd and 8 at their own 12.  They get 7 yards and the quarter comes to an end. 

Its 4th and 1 -- at their 19.  They go for it and get it.  After this play Dallas got another 1st down but then punted. 

We got the ball and marched 85 yards right down the field and there was no looking back.

I haven't seen anyone ask McD about that decision to go for it by Dallas.  I do think this was a turning point for us.  Sure the analytics crowd probably loved the call by Garrett, who on the previous drive punted on 4th and 6 at our own 43---I guess the math was telling him something else there?

So yea....you probably(?) should get the yard and make a statement.  But you went for it at your own 19.  You can't measure what impact that decision may have had on the other sides manhood and how it could flip a switch....wake them up.  I think this happened tonight. Curious to hear if anyone talks about that this week.  

Again, maybe it plays out like it did idk...but I do know after that series we were a totally different team.  A lesser group of men may have rolled over after that, deflated, possibly thinking they're about to get run out of the building.  Bills fans have seen that movie especially in primetime several times over the last 2 decades.  

Speaks to our team and character in so many ways that the exact opposite happened and it was us running them out of their building.  We got smacked in the mouth by the big boys for 15 minutes and in response we did not fold.  Instead we stood up and smacked them right back for the next 45 minutes.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Process said:

They got the first down bud..

Yes.  I said that.  Then I said they got one more.  

The defense then goes to the sideline and I'm sure you can imagine the anger and the "that's it man.....they don't respect us at all" rallying cries.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the turning point was Oliver’s strip sack.  Dallas sort of had the momentum after Stars INT with us going backwards on offense and then the missed FG.

Oliver put some stank on Frederick and gave  us the ball back...then scored a TD.

I think I remember this right.  I had a special cookie and a few Weihenstephaner beers.  I couldn’t figure how to untie my shoe so I did the the big toe in the heel and kick it off.  My show went flying and knocked over one of the empty beer bottles shattering it.  It’s going to suck in the morning having to clean it up.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

The defense then goes to the sideline and I'm sure you can imagine the anger and the "that's it man.....they don't respect us at all" rallying cries.  

You realize it's a huge stretch to try and make the case that the other team converting a fourth down was the turning point for us?

I get what your saying, I'm mostly just messing with you. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Process said:

You realize it's a huge stretch to try and make the case that the other team converting a fourth down was the turning point for us?

I get what your saying, I'm mostly just messing with you. 

No I know I get it.  

I'm trying to say how significant this team turning the tide after that series was.  I was pretty fired up in my living after we did force the punt.  I said at the time watch this team is going to rally around that call.  

100 percent sure they got just a tad bit extra motivation having Dallas go for it like that.  That's disrespect more than it is believing in your guys.  

Your own 19.  Up 7. 

Edited by Big Blitz

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The only reason they went for it was because it was fourth and six inches not fourth and one. If it was a full yard they would have punted. I didn't think it was controversial or disrespectful at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

I felt like it was when Josh fumbled then muscled forward for the 1st. When he unleashed that emotion I knew this was something different. 

The cameras showed him on Dak’s first drive, did anyone else get the vibe that he was distancing himself from the game in an attempt to keep his nerve? His face looked relaxed and focused.

Edited by CommonCents
  • Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The only reason they went for it was because it was fourth and six inches not fourth and one. If it was a full yard they would have punted. I didn't think it was controversial or disrespectful at all. 

And they have the oline and a big boy at QB. I was a bit surprised they went for it but like you say... it was less than the length of a football they needed. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree.  I fully expected them to go for it.   They we’re moving the ball.   The call made sense.  In fact, they moved the ball the entire game but except the first and last drive they could not finish it off.  

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

I felt like it was when Josh fumbled then muscled forward for the 1st. When he unleashed that emotion I knew this was something different. 

Yes absolutely no doubt about that.  

Wonder if he knew too yea you ain't disrespecting us like that this is a new team under new management and leadership.  Starting with him.  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the turning point was Oliver’s strip sack.  Dallas sort of had the momentum after Stars INT with us going backwards on offense and then the missed FG.

Oliver put some stank on Frederick and gave  us the ball back...then scored a TD.

I think I remember this right.  I had a special cookie and a few Weihenstephaner beers.  I couldn’t figure how to untie my shoe so I did the the big toe in the heel and kick it off.  My show went flying and knocked over one of the empty beer bottles shattering it.  It’s going to suck in the morning having to clean it up.

I had 2 special cookies ?

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the turning point was Ed's strip sack. We had already had one short field from Star's pick and not made it count. The very next time Dallas get the ball there we are again - turnover. That time we turned it into the lead. A lead we never relinquished. 

Good teams make turnovers count...This is how we have lost games in the past....This time, we made it count.   

One of Marv's famous quotes in the comeback game was:  It was not good enough to get the turnover, but it more important to know what to do next !!!

• Like (+1) 1

What that play by Dallas, going for it on fourth and one at their own 19, showed me, was that Dallas was worried about us.  If they think their defense can handle us, they play it the normal way, punt away, and expect to stop us.  

I agree with the people saying the turning point was the Oliver strip-sack.  That guy seems to have figured things out.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

For the rest of the season, 4th and inches anywhere on the field and Garrett will probably have to go for it out of pure fear of being fired on the spot right there.  Do I recall correctly that the punting unit was already coming onto the field and the offense was going off?  Like he felt Jerry's laser eyes burning on his backside and said "Ouch, hot hot! Dak get back out there"

Tough choice between Star's pick and Ed's strip sack, IMO.  The pickle was like the tossing a bunch more kindling and big log on a low fire and the strip sack was when it all lit up and went WOOSH!  At both those moments it's a good thing I have a one-level house on a nice slab.  My 250 pounds was jumping up and down so hard I'd have busted clear through to the basement if was a just a wood floor.  I had the house all to myself for the first half with no wife or kids to scare so I held NOTHING back.  Man, that was a fun game! 

Last night, it didn't matter what your religious or political views, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, zip code, hairstyle, shoe color preference, or whatever was.  Us Bills fans were all completely united, swelled up with massive pride that we've grown accustomed to living without for a few decades now.  An extremely proud moment made even sweeter that it was a butt-head team like the Cowboys we were whoopin' up on in front of the whole country.  World, meet the new Buffalo Bills!  Get used to seeing this.  We plan to be here for quite awhile.

(Not that any of are differences really matter to us all anyway. Bills fans are built different too.)

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2