A Few Thoughts about the Cowboys Game, in no particular order

Virgil

30 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Why does every time this guy post its like a #$@$n novel....

Aint nobody got time for that!

Maybe next

one will have pictures in it for you. GREAT WRITE UP

Edited by mjpbills
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thank you for these write ups Virg!  

I always look forward to them...even going back to the "Bill days" these have become part of my complete game day experience...thank you for keeping the tradition rolling.  Two in one week is amazing work.

Something about that game yesterday just felt special...prime time against America's team for everyone to see.  The text messages from friends started rolling in mid-3rd quarter....but the Bills fan in me just couldn't accept this was happening until the final kneel-down.  Even the wife (who humors me watching the Bills all these years simply because I do) even commented "geez...their quarterback is really good eh?" ....its been many years since we could say that and it feels great!!   It totally agree with you....feels like perhaps the biggest win in 20 years.    

Happy Thanksgiving weekend down there to you and yours!

Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I liked the white face mask too but still not a fan of the mono look especially the all reds. 

I don't care what they wear as long as they play like they did last night.....

43 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Why does every time this guy post its like a #$@$n novel....

Aint nobody got time for that!

Is English your first language?

Go away - Virgil's write ups are something to look forward to

While acknowledging everything else, the predominant view I had of this game was the difference in Josh's passing.

He usually throws high, and often high and outside, especially early in every game.

Receivers have had to break stride, adjust to the high ball, catch it and re-accelerate, usually unsuccessfully.

This game he hit guys in the numbers, ins stride resulting in much better runs after catch.

Looked completely different, and extremely effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great work as always @Virgil

Re: kicking woes, at this point of the season it would be hard to find an upgrade to Hauschka but I wouldn't be opposed to them kicking the tires on Chase McLaughlin again. I thought he was fine in camp/preseason, just not good enough to supplant an established starter here. He's gone out and done relatively well as a multi-week fill in for both the Chargers and 49ers (kick into the tunnel aside), and as an added bonus already has some familiarity with Ferguson and Bojorquez from being here already. At the very least, I would be disappointed if they don't try to get him back in the fold for the off-season unless he signs elsewhere 

55 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I watched Good Morning Football on the NFL Network today expecting to see some accolades for the Bills.  There were some, but the dominant theme was that the Cowboys laid an egg. 

from "blogging the boys" @ SB Nation:  This is the summary of their "Grading the Cowboys" blog.   I get that they are bent out of shape at the Cowboys and want to grade them an F.  But they dissed the Bills too.   Not cool.

"Summary: F

An utterly inept performance in every way where a mediocre Buffalo Bills team thoroughly dominated the Cowboys in all three phases of the game. Reports before the game were that Jason Garrett wouldn’t be fired until the end of the season regardless of results. That’s too bad."

Edited by Georgia Bill
typo

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I think all of those audibles on the last drive were just window dressing honestly.  We were just running down the clock.  I’m sure if he saw a specific blocking assignment, he’d call it out.  But they were running regardless. 

Could have been certainly.  Just making their D think audible to see what they'd do or just to mess with them.  Sneaky sneaky!

Excellent write up, Virgil, as usual. 

I will be honest and admit that I didn't expect the Bills to win.  My hope was that it would at least be a close game.   I thought that the Cowboys, after getting embarrassed in the previous game, playing at home on Thanksgiving, and with Jerry Jones' "frustration" the story of the week, would come out loaded for bear.   Well, it looked like that all right -- for the first drive.  After that, though, it was all Bills.  They administered a certified butt-whooping reminiscent of the kind that the Glory Years Bills regularly dished out to then hated rivals like the Raiders and Fish.

I totally agree with Sherpa that Josh Allen seems to have made a remarkable transformation over the last 3 weeks, especially in his decision making and short/mid range accuracy.  If he never becomes an accurate long passer, that's something that the team can deal with.  What a team can't deal with is a QB who continually makes poor decisions that put his team in holes no matter how well he throws long balls.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Excellent write up, Virgil, as usual. 

I will be honest and admit that I didn't expect the Bills to win.  My hope was that it would at least be a close game.   I thought that the Cowboys, after getting embarrassed in the previous game, playing at home on Thanksgiving, and with Jerry Jones' "frustration" the story of the week, would come out loaded for bear.   Well, it looked like that all right -- for the first drive.  After that, though, it was all Bills.  They administered a certified butt-whooping reminiscent of the kind that the Glory Years Bills regularly dished out to then hated rivals like the Raiders and Fish.

I totally agree with Sherpa that Josh Allen seems to have made a remarkable transformation over the last 3 weeks, especially in his decision making and short/mid range accuracy.  If he never becomes an accurate long passer, that's something that the team can deal with.  What a team can't deal with is a QB who continually makes poor decisions that put his team in holes no matter how well he throws long balls.

It only looks like a "remarkable transformation" to folks that didn't see the compounding effect of Josh's week-to-week incremental improvements, of which there were a great many.

And his deep throws have been fine the last 3 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Georgia Bill said:

from "blogging the boys" @ SB Nation:  This is the summary of their "Grading the Cowboys" blog.   I get that they are bent out of shape at the Cowboys and want to grade them an F.  But they dissed the Bills too.   Not cool.

"Summary: F

An utterly inept performance in every way where a mediocre Buffalo Bills team thoroughly dominated the Cowboys in all three phases of the game. Reports before the game were that Jason Garrett wouldn’t be fired until the end of the season regardless of results. That’s too bad."

Let them keep underestimating us.  The players have said they notice and it motivates them.   

My son just introduced me to your page.  I loved your response to a really fun game.  Watching national coverage this morning on ESPN, it's too bad that they want to talk a lot more about what Dallas did wrong than what Buffalo did right.  Allen gets a nod in passing, but the whole team should be getting kudos for a solid win.  Those of us in Buffalo have to celebrate our victory and move on to the next.  Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 2

I don't spend much time on this form but I make it a point to come here a day after every game to read these thoughts, Virgil. Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Reliving a game like this is great for the soul. Many thanks and happy holidays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Virgil stepped up his game just like Josh did yesterday.  Good stuff.

As for the game: we had the better QB.  It’s that simple to me.  I’ll say it again: there has been no game this year where I thought the other team’s quarterback was materially better than ours.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Virgil: awesome.

My big takeaway - remember the days, not so long ago, when we'd talk about the Bills losing games in the most Billsy way possible?

This year it's been our opponents doing the vast majority of "Billsy" (Cowboys-ey?) things. Dak trying to thrown one away, right into the hands of Star. Haushka missing FGs and extra points, but not nearly so often as the Titans kicker. Etc, etc. Other than, of course, the Pats game, but we get at least one more chance this year to even that score.

• Thank you (+1) 1

#7. I also was surprised to see Milano track down Zeke. The dude is just an athlete. I really think if he wanted to, he could play RB and be a good one. Speed size and can make athletic plays on the ball. He's become one of my favorite players. Might have to get a jersey, haven't bought one in 7 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, NC Book said:

#7. I also was surprised to see Milano track down Zeke. The dude is just an athlete. I really think if he wanted to, he could play RB and be a good one. Speed size and can make athletic plays on the ball. He's become one of my favorite players. Might have to get a jersey, haven't bought one in 7 years. 

Milano as fullback would be fun to watch.

Or Ed with his LB speed.

The other one is John Brown as a CB.  The dude is really strong and tough, not just fast.  If his past were different I could see him as a standout cover guy, ball hawk and good tackler.