10 days to prepare for Lamar and Ravens

DJB

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I have a feeling this will be the main game broadcast for CBS next Sunday for most of the country.

should be... CBS will be carrying five games total in the 1 PM slot and ours is easily the most attractive matchup of the 5:

EARLY

Denver @ Houston 

Cincinnati @ Cleveland 

Miami @ NY Jets 

Baltimore @ Buffalo 

Indianapolis @ Tampa Bay 

• Like (+1) 1

Lamar can pass, for sure. He has a great arm and is accurate, but one would have to be really starstruck to not see it's the efficient running that opens up the Ravens pass game! I doubt that as "pure passer" that he would read defenses well and all that. Of course, stopping their running attack isn't exactly easy as saying so ha ha. But yes it's the goal, no doubt. The Bills Offense can help if they make the Ravens play from behind but then, scoring points has always been a key to victory (doh!)

20 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

They can look at Steelers tape, he threw 3 pics, had a 54 rating and they needed overtime to win in Oct.

I don't know that that will necessarily help. Around the same time they were blown out by the Browns. Teams have had both tapes for weeks and the Ravens have been destroying teams still.

That said. I have a good feeling about this game just like I did going into yesterday's game. Bills are going to surprise some people again. I think we put the clamps down on the Ravens offense just enough. Hold them to about 20 and we win something like 24-20.

This game will be playoff intensity.  Bills have to stop Ingram first.  He can make it a long day if they let him get started.  Need to gang tackle him too.  And Milano or Edmunds have to spy Lamar.  

If I'm Frazier I sell out to stop the run, and try to take away the Ravens TE.  Let our CB's and Ravens WR's decide the game.

You want to force Lamar to have to pass outside the numbers and make sure the edge rushers leverage him back inside  I'm fine with him toting the football 20 times for a 100 yards between the tackles  On  frozen field every time he hits that turf its going to take its toll. Milano and Edmunds are going to have to be impeccable to spy on him but not give up those easy passing lanes between the hashes.

It might take something strange to stop the ravens but if I was going to start drawing up a plan, I’d probably look to bringing all hands on deck with the D line. I’d run 5 and 6 D lineman at times and have only Edmunds and Milano running around free behind them. I would take my chances 1 on 1 on the outside and use 8 and 9 man boxes all day. I know Lamar Jackson can throw but I’m not letting him beat me with his legs. If the ravens WRs can beat our corners 1 on 1 and Lamar Jackson beats us with intermediate throws...fine. But I would not let him run. I’d run D lines out there that had 3 or 4 DTs on the field at once. Just anything to control the line of scrimmage and fill every run gap. Keep the blockers off of Milano and Edmunds and make them beat us through to the air. They are a very unconventional offense, it will take an unconventional defense and game plan to slow them down. I do think we can do it though. Little 6-1 front with 9 man box and dare him to throw at Tre.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If throwing was his strong suit they’d have him do it more. 

Guys, right now Lamar Jackson doesn't have a weakness.  He will destroy you with his legs or his arm.  He is playing at a legendary level both running and passing.  

They are the best team in the league right now.  BUT if they beat the 9ers, then we beat them, that makes US the Best team in the league!!!

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Passer rating does not incorporate rushing, true. QBR does. 

Right and Lamar Jackson is 3rd in th NFL in passer rating which goes to my point that saying "just force him to pass" shows you don't understand how much that Lamar has improved in that area. 

Im excited to see how 49ers handle him Sunday. I'm not confident they can. Im benching 49ers D in fantasy for the first time this week (they are 2nd in scoring) and grabbed Eagles D vs Miami. We really need them to help at least draw us a partial blueprint on how to stop them if we have any chance at winning. How they blew out the Patriots was scary.

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Right and Lamar Jackson is 3rd in th NFL in passer rating which goes to my point that saying "just force him to pass" shows you don't understand how much that Lamar has improved in that area. 

Im excited to see how 49ers handle him Sunday. I'm not confident they can. Im benching 49ers D in fantasy for the first time this week (they are 2nd in scoring) and grabbed Eagles D vs Miami. We really need them to help at least draw us a partial blueprint on how to stop them if we have any chance at winning. How they blew out the Patriots was scary.

Indeed. And I wasn't meaning the disagree with that. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How to beat the Ravens.

We need to keep running our up-tempo offense and similar play calling. If we slow down and run all the time we are toast against their defense.

I was going to say we need to run 8-9 in the box and we may on occasion but doing so frequently will compromise our defense. We still need to crowd the box and crush the pocket around Jackson but i think we should run a 7 man front instead of our usual 6 man front consisting of  4-2-5.

However instead of a 4-3, to which the LBs outside of Milano and Edmunds are so-so, we should run a 5-2-4.

By putting an extra lineman on the line this will clog up their lanes more and put bigger and more importantly better players on the field and keep lineman off our LBs to flow freely to the ball and pass defend like they normally do.

Personally, I don’t think playing a scheme that they aren’t familiar with is a great idea. I would probably use the same run blitzing game plan that they have been using since the second Miami game. Baltimore has a very diverse running game so I think the best bet is to be aggressive and try to dictate the play. If you can create a negative play, then they have to pass. Also, if the offense can jump on them and get in front then you can potentially force them to throw it more than they would like.

• Like (+1) 1