New kicker

Joaquin1119

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

Things could always be worse.  Haushka hasn’t missed one in the clutch that we really needed.  Shaky day in Dallas though.

He cost them the Browns game.  Hopefully they called-in some kickers for tryouts today.

• Like (+1) 1

Kicking around the NFL is terrible these days.

But yes, Hauschka is looking like he's done. He looked that way toward the end of last year too. Many of us attributed that to injury, but it's looking less and less likely.

But look around. What's out there isn't better. Justin Tuckers aren't sitting out there for the plucking.

If you pay attention to Haushka's kickoffs , he still has a leg strength. This isn't like what happened to Steve Christie or Lindell at the end where the leg got weaker. I think his problems are akin to a golfer losing his concentration on his swings. The problems are in his head and they are transferring to his leg. Or they could be lingering effects from his injury to his hip vs the Jets. I really don't think he has been the same since then.

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

He's 34 and hit the wall.  It happens to kickers too. 

The Bills need to "GM aggressive" too and sign someone during this ten day break.

New England doesn't even have a healthy kicker and the falcons guy stinks too. There are non available except guys who are just as bad or worse... It's an off-season thing

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

If you pay attention to Haushka's kickoffs , he still has a leg strength. This isn't like what happened to Steve Christie or Lindell at the end where the leg got weaker. I think his problems are akin to a golfer losing his concentration on his swings. The problems are in his head and they are transferring to his leg. Or they could be lingering effects from his injury to his hip vs the Jets. I really don't think he has been the same since then.

He hasn't missed a kick short yet.  It's all accuracy.  And I doubt it's concentration.  He just can't be relied on anymore. 

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

definitely should be top priority this off season.

haus money is cashed out!

Haus money was cool in 2011-2017, but he has absolutely no leg and is abominable.

Good thing kickers vs. the Bills this year may actually have been worse.  Yesterday Dallas' kicker gifted us 6 points (and lest we forget the Jets & Titans games). 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Haus money was cool in 2011-2017, but he has absolutely no leg and is abominable.

Good thing kickers vs. the Bills this year may actually have been worse.  Yesterday Dallas' kicker gifted us 6 points (and lest we forget the Jets & Titans games). 

He's got the leg strength, again as evidence by the kickoffs and FG's all having the distance.  It's the accuracy and that's something that's just as hard to get back.

Oh and the 2nd missed FG by Maher was tipped (ever so slightly).

13 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

he has the leg. he's not handling the pressure. it would be wise to turn the leaf this off season as it would not be good to be in a play off game on the line and not trust in your kicker. I don't trust him anymore.

I remember him missing a 43 yarder short in RW last year.  

Over 50 and they would barely clear and he is missing them anyways.  

16 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Should be taking a very long look at McLaughlin once Robbie Gould returns for the 49ers. 

from 20-29 chase is 4-4

30-39        3-3

40-49 Chase is 5-9. Yes 5-9 

50-59        1-1    Too small of a sample to say he's consistent from long range.

From 20-39 Hauschka is 3-3

30-39       4-5

40-49       7-8

50-59       1-5  Yes 1-5

My point here is Chase isn't any better that Hauschka. In fact where it really counts(40-49), he's been inconsistent. Hauschka doesn't have the leg Chase does, but he's a lot better in the 40-49 situations. Chase isn't any better than Hauschka, so I doubt the staff will let emotions get the better of them. If they can find a better kicker, fine, but Chase isn't it. It was really amusing how this board wanted Chase after kicking a FG in the Seahawks game only to lose that game with a shank. Did Hauschka miss in the Browns game? Sure, but Chase lost a game the same week and isn't any better. I'll take the consistency in the 40-49 range over Chase's shaky showing. IMO Chase isn't any better than what we already have.

I agree that Hauschka has struggled this season, and a replacement should be considered.  I think the Bills are in a bit of a bind with respect to his contract.  It's not that Buffalo can't afford to cut him.  They can, but if Beane starts to jettison multiple contracts with time left, the Bills could find themselves in a situation like Beane inherited, with an onerous dead cap situation.  I don't think anything is going to happen during the season.  Anybody Buffalo is likely to find on the market is probably a retread from somebody else.  Beane will wait until after the season and assess the dead cap from Hauschka's deal in light of all the other changes he feels he needs to make.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

from 20-29 chase is 4-4

30-39        3-3

40-49 Chase is 5-9. Yes 5-9 

50-59        1-1    Too small of a sample to say he's consistent from long range.

From 20-39 Hauschka is 3-3

30-39       4-5

40-49       7-8

50-59       1-5  Yes 1-5

My point here is Chase isn't any better that Hauschka. In fact where it really counts(40-49), he's been inconsistent. Hauschka doesn't have the leg Chase does, but he's a lot better in the 40-49 situations. Chase isn't any better than Hauschka, so I doubt the staff will let emotions get the better of them. If they can find a better kicker, fine, but Chase isn't it. It was really amusing how this board wanted Chase after kicking a FG in the Seahawks game only to lose that game with a shank. Did Hauschka miss in the Browns game? Sure, but Chase lost a game the same week and isn't any better. I'll take the consistency in the 40-49 range over Chase's shaky showing. IMO Chase isn't any better than what we already have.

Yes all this. This has been a rough year for a lot of kickers. There is not a lot of talent on the 32 teams, let alone kicking at the local high school field staying warm. 

Hauschka is our guy for this year. 

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I agree that Hauschka has struggled this season, and a replacement should be considered.  I think the Bills are in a bit of a bind with respect to his contract.  It's not that Buffalo can't afford to cut him.  They can, but if Beane starts to jettison multiple contracts with time left, the Bills could find themselves in a situation like Beane inherited, with an onerous dead cap situation.  I don't think anything is going to happen during the season.  Anybody Buffalo is likely to find on the market is probably a retread from somebody else.  Beane will wait until after the season and assess the dead cap from Hauschka's deal in light of all the other changes he feels he needs to make.

Hauschka cost 1.25 million to get rid of next year if they want to find someone better.

Can we please stop with the whole let's get a new kicker in-season thing...

... Vinatieri is struggling at his range as well as accuracy....Hauschka is still an above avg kicker, believe it or not, that's hit big kicks in big games; in cold weather and in domes for his career. He still has distance for up to 55 yards.

Give the guy a break

24-hour rule 

Edited by r00tabaga