Smart hubs & smart speakers

LabattBlue

Someone enlighten me and tell me the wonderful life changing ways you personally use these products(smart hub or smart speaker)?

I had an echo dot hooked up for a couple weeks last year, and then disconnected it with all the paranoia about big brother listening/recording.

Edited by LabattBlue

18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Someone enlighten me and tell me the wonderful life changing ways you personally use these products(smart hub or smart speaker)?

I had an echo dot hooked up for a couple weeks last year, and then disconnected it with all the paranoia about big brother listening/recording.

Never use ours. We have a really nice Bluetooth speaker we just carry from room to room if we want music. Was a big waste of money

20 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Our Alexa is an idiot. We asked it to play Christmas music yesterday, and it started talking about how May 4th is Star Wars day. 

It must be remembering the Star Wars Christmas Special.  The one Lucas wishes had never escaped the black hole singularity.

We have an Alexa echo and love it.  I keep it in the kitchen and take it outside with me whilst grilling in the warmer months.

The music selection with Amazon Prime is excellent.  It's great to have a song pop into my head that I haven't heard in a while and just tell Alexa to play it.  Does great with genres, too.

Our cell phones were listening to us long before Alexa was.  I honestly couldn't care less.

We have a bunch of the Google speakers and Chromecast on all tvs. It's great, especially with the Kids. They go up Nd ask going to play a song or play a movie/show and it's on. If your posting on an internet message board it means you have the internet and possibly a cell phone, your already being tracked or watched on those devices already, no one here is really that important that the government or big brother is actively listening and following you.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

We have an Alexa echo and love it.  I keep it in the kitchen and take it outside with me whilst grilling in the warmer months.

The music selection with Amazon Prime is excellent.  It's great to have a song pop into my head that I haven't heard in a while and just tell Alexa to play it.  Does great with genres, too.

Our cell phones were listening to us long before Alexa was.  I honestly couldn't care less.

do you need to have it synced to a phone or anything? Or does it just connect to the WiFi-internet? 

thinking about getting an echo for my 8-year old daughter Mostly for music, but it won’t have access to a phone with iTunes or anything. 

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

do you need to have it synced to a phone or anything? Or does it just connect to the WiFi-internet? 

thinking about getting an echo for my 8-year old daughter Mostly for music, but it won’t have access to a phone with iTunes or anything. 

You just need wifi.  But you'll need Amazon Prime to get music if it's not synched to a phone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

The music selection with Amazon Prime is excellent.  It's great to have a song pop into my head that I haven't heard in a while and just tell Alexa to play it.  

You have to broaden your horizons. There’s more to life than show tunes.

We have a google home device.  For some reason it stopped working and I haven’t bothered figuring out why. We used it to turn lights on or off, and ask it about the weather forecast.  My wife has no interest in using it to make shareable shopping lists or appointment reminders, but I know people who like it for those things. 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:57 PM, LabattBlue said:

I won one as a door prize. So far the only real use it had is telling it what to add to our grocery list and playing whatever reason stream during breakfast.

For about $25 you can buy a pack of 8 plug in controllers that will turn stuff like lamps on and off by way of your smart speaker. Honestly can't figure why if get that.