Bills have been one of the least injured teams in the NFL since McD got here...coincidence or showing the value of their cutting edge training/health programs?

Big Turk

Bills and injuries  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Have the Bills been able to significantly reduce their man games lost to injury due to cutting edge sports science?

• Yes, sports science had helped a lot
    • No, its luck
    • Maybe, its a combination of both

32 minutes ago, Big C said:

You can help prevent some injuries with better training, stretching, hydration (looking at that hammy Shady!), etc. This also includes proper technique. Of course plenty of injuries are also sheer luck (Ty getting rolled on) and some are because a previous injury wasn't properly handled.

Definitely think in our case it is a bit of both. 

I think the biggest thing they have done is have players wear GPS devices in practice and then based on various factors and science they can schedule down time for the players based on how active they are and what the science says in regards to when they should be resting.

This is done to prevent injuries from occurring by giving the players rest BEFORE they get to the point of hurting themselves where the point is determined by many factors.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably a little of both plus players have more incentive to get back on the field when they actually have something to play for  Feels like our roster would get wiped out after slow starts many seasons  As a player I would be in no rush to get back to a losing team

It’s kind of an urban legend about the correlation between training staff and injuries.  They had dr cho on nfl network talking about this and that was his take.    It’s partly luck and partly that this regime values players who don’t miss a lot of games due to injury.  Lots of guys on final year or one rly early deals.   Those players want to get paid and you don’t do that on the sideline.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

For the last 3 years, the Bills have been exceptionally healthy which coincides to McBeane getting here and removing a lot of the "old guard" in terms of trainers and strength and conditioning coaches so they could bring in guys who wanted to follow the newest science and research to develop programs to ensure players stay as healthy as possible and attempt to limit injuries.

They include everything in this...tracking players movement in practice so they can implement down time at the appropriate time for each player, what they eat, when they eat, when they train, the exercises they do, etc etc....

McBeane has talked about this before and truly believe this is making a difference in terms of their players staying healthier.  

While there is no objective proof, it appears based on games lost to injury over the past few years that it is working as intended.

In 2017 the Bills had the 9th fewest games lost to injury. Last year they had the 2nd fewest games lost to injury and this year they have the 5th fewest games lost to injury.

In addition they have had very few serious injuries, with Phillips tearing his ACL being the only real big one in this time (that i can recall)

Do you believe they have been able to reduce their injuries by their cutting edge sports science programs or do you think this is just luck?

I believe strongly in sports science and its ability to help reduce injury by not only helping the body recover better but also in providing these recovery periods at the proper time right before the body would become injured.

I was one who was pissing and moaning for years about our inept training staff and pleading to change it.  Far as I am concerned, I think my complaints were validated by the substantial reduction in injury issues through the upgrade in our staff and facilities to how it’s helped both prevent injuries and treat injuries.  

Plenty mocked my complaints, but I’m gonna just say it:  I told you so.  

Plenty of inept things by the old staff from misjudging Shaqs shoulder before draft, mishandling the injury and recovery of Watkins, etc etc.  It was a joke. 

I voted for Sports Science.

We looked to be 'playing faster' than the Cowboys and I think it was more than just my Homer eyes.

IMO, our players recovered faster on the short week and the trainers/sports science guys deserve a chunk of the credit.

thought about this last week

Luck from the side if you break a leg nothings helping

But from a recovery aspect feeling good body ready  Yes I think it has played a role

Teams don't waste time with things that don't work

watching video, taking steroids, filming the other teams practices - the only reason they do it - it works

I think part of it is the message McD and Beane have been sending since day 1.

If you can't stay on the field (Watkins) and play, play hurt, if you have that reputation you're not going to stick here.

I thought Foster was going to be out a month after seeing him come up lame with that hammy just FIVE DAYS ago.  And he played.  Morse played.  

In the Embedded series at the front office meetings when they're discussing UFAs you see the one personnel guy I forgot who say "he stays on the field."   So this is something they understand and value.  

• 3 weeks later...

We dodged a bullet there with Tre White!  He gave up a couple receptions after that but also had the INT with the long return (setting up that comedy-of-errors drive and the tying FG).

Although, when he was in the blue injury tent, I was thinking to myself “well, we were overdue for an injury to one of our stars...” BBFS rears its head again?