Bills have been one of the least injured teams in the NFL since McD got here...coincidence or showing the value of their cutting edge training/health programs?

Big Turk

Bills and injuries  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Have the Bills been able to significantly reduce their man games lost to injury due to cutting edge sports science?

• Yes, sports science had helped a lot
    • No, its luck
    • Maybe, its a combination of both

For the last 3 years, the Bills have been exceptionally healthy which coincides to McBeane getting here and removing a lot of the "old guard" in terms of trainers and strength and conditioning coaches so they could bring in guys who wanted to follow the newest science and research to develop programs to ensure players stay as healthy as possible and attempt to limit injuries.

They include everything in this...tracking players movement in practice so they can implement down time at the appropriate time for each player, what they eat, when they eat, when they train, the exercises they do, etc etc....

McBeane has talked about this before and truly believe this is making a difference in terms of their players staying healthier.  

While there is no objective proof, it appears based on games lost to injury over the past few years that it is working as intended.

In 2017 the Bills had the 9th fewest games lost to injury. Last year they had the 2nd fewest games lost to injury and this year they have the 5th fewest games lost to injury.

In addition they have had very few serious injuries, with Phillips tearing his ACL being the only real big one in this time (that i can recall)

Do you believe they have been able to reduce their injuries by their cutting edge sports science programs or do you think this is just luck?

I believe strongly in sports science and its ability to help reduce injury by not only helping the body recover better but also in providing these recovery periods at the proper time right before the body would become injured.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I voted both, but you make your own luck by smart preparation and continuing that level of proper health maintenance.

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

There may be some tie to the training regiments. We don’t know how they changed.

it may also be in part that when you are “in the mix” you don’t shelve guys as quickly

Actually we do know how they have changed.

Sal has reported numerous times about all the changes they have made.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

After some 30 years of watching football, I'm convinced that lack of injury on a team comes down to nothing more than sheer luck.  

But you didn't vote that way. Nobody has voted for the luck option yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

After some 30 years of watching football, I'm convinced that lack of injury on a team comes down to nothing more than sheer luck.  

Well to be fair, for the past 30 years there have been precious few attempts at bringing sports science in to try and prevent them. 

Edited by matter2003

I feel about this article like I do when the color commentator says something, "And the Bills have not been shut out of the end zone in the last 5 trips to the red zone" !

JINX! Happened like 3 times during the broadcast of the Browns game. I was like stop putting the bad juju on us!

I am positive conditioning plays a huge roll. But sometimes its just dumb luck!

...as soon as a couple of injuries crop up, the TBD "Fire 'Em Gang" is in full bloom.....S&C Gang has "got to go" followed by but in not preferred order...

A. Pegula-the clueless Owner

B. McDermutt- DC minded but turrible HC

C. McBeane-yada yada but too many misses

D. Rockpile Beerman-warm beer and an Allen like overthrow with my can of Blue

E.Port-A-Potty janitor-no paper or sanitizer

F. Upper Deck Concessionaire- stone cold cheese on my nachos

....it's a tough crowd no doubt...........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

IMO there is no doubt that the attention to detail with diet, training and flexibility has helped.

One of my biggest issues with Rex and Wade was their "treat them like adults" attitude about the above..........and then watched their team battle soft tissue injuries in droves all the time.

They are young men age 20-30.........let's just say not the most naturally reliable/accountable people on the planet .........they NEED guidance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

You can help prevent some injuries with better training, stretching, hydration (looking at that hammy Shady!), etc. This also includes proper technique. Of course plenty of injuries are also sheer luck (Ty getting rolled on) and some are because a previous injury wasn't properly handled.

Definitely think in our case it is a bit of both. 

• Like (+1) 1