Why is is not important to lose to an NFC team ?

Cygnus99

3 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

We play the Dallas cowboys today . 

Scenario number one : We win today against the  Cowboys and we lose against the Ravens  

Scenario number two : We lose  today against the Cowboys but we win against the Ravens 

I do not understand why playing an NFC team is not as important as playing an AFC team 

Scenario number 2 is better than scenario number 1 ? Why ? 

I am trying to figure this out 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 

For your own teams purpose it is always good to get the win no matter where. For the AFC foes you always want them to lose to NFC and vise versa unless there is some crazy circumstance that I cant even think of right now lol

The Ravens game helps if we were able to somehow claw back into the divisional race.  One tiebreaker is the combined record of all wins.  Beating Baltimore would be huge, as the Pats lost to them.  In addition, if we somehow won the AFCE, that win against the Ravens would provide a head-to-head tiebreaker for seeding.

Crazy as it sounds, if anyone else beats the Pats, and the Bills run the table, they would be the #1 seed in the AFC.

15 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

For your own teams purpose it is always good to get the win no matter where. For the AFC foes you always want them to lose to NFC and vise versa unless there is some crazy circumstance that I cant even think of right now lol

Thought it was the other way around.  For AFC foes, you want them to have worse conference records.  It's how the Chargers missed the playoffs two years ago.

Edited by The Red King

10 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The Ravens game helps if we were able to somehow claw back into the divisional race.  One tiebreaker is the combined record of all wins.  Beating Baltimore would be huge, as the Pats lost to them.  In addition, if we somehow won the AFCE, that win against the Ravens would provide a head-to-head tiebreaker for seeding.

Crazy as it sounds, if anyone else beats the Pats, and the Bills run the table, they would be the #1 seed in the AFC.

Thought it was the other way around.  For AFC foes, you want them to have worse conference records.  It's how the Chargers missed the playoffs two years ago.

Correct

5 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

We play the Dallas cowboys today . 

Scenario number one : We win today against the  Cowboys and we lose against the Ravens  

Scenario number two : We lose  today against the Cowboys but we win against the Ravens 

I do not understand why playing an NFC team is not as important as playing an AFC team 

Scenario number 2 is better than scenario number 1 ? Why ? 

I am trying to figure this out 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING 

Uhh its pretty simplistic. Tie breakers for the playoffs usually have a conference record component high up so losing to an NFC team doesn't have much of an effect compared to losing to an AFC team.

However, unlike some on this board that hope for Bills losses to NFC teams so we don't ruin our playoff chances, its always better to win regardless. But if you have to lose its better to do so to NFC teams.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

?‍♂️

It's just slightly less important. Tie breakers only come into play if you actually get enough wins, which means you need to beat as many opponents as possible. And if you handle your business, tie breakers don't even have to come into play.

I think this game is a little more winnable than the Patriots and the Ravens games, so I think it is important we go out there and get a win.