Josh Allen’s footwork

billvernsays

Does anyone else notice that Josh Allen doesn’t drop-back and set in the pocket? 

the traditional 3, 5, and 7 steps drops are replaced with a stationary snap and fire, a minor 1 step shuffle, and a shuffle and a half. 

I love the guy and think he’s great but I’ve noticed other mobile QB’s take their 5 step drop which opens up running lanes for them. 

Could the Bills be doing this because they doesn’t like JA’s footwork? 

• Like (+1) 1

I started looking into this because it always seems he has the pocket collapsing on him even though our OLine is pretty good. When I watch other teams, even the ones I know our OLine is better than, I don’t see the pocket engulfing their QB as much. 

Edited by billvernsays

26 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

Does anyone else notice that Josh Allen doesn’t drop-back and set in the pocket? 

the traditional 3, 5, and 7 steps drops are replaced with a stationary snap and fire, a minor 1 step shuffle, and a shuffle and a half. 

I love the guy and think he’s great but I’ve noticed other mobile QB’s take their 5 step drop which opens up running lanes for them. 

Nope his footwork is pretty good. Just how the coaches want him to drop back in our system. We run the most one step drops in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Nope his footwork is pretty good. Just how the coaches want him to drop back in our system. We run the most one step drops in the NFL.

Ok so that’s what I’m getting at.

My question is If it’s a system thing doesn’t that take away from his natural ability to take off and run as the rush lanes open up because with a 1 step drop there’s less space? 

Edited by billvernsays

I think the oline is getting better at understanding his tendencies and are doing a way better job opening little lanes for him when he’s scrambling back there. 

Took a little while but the oline and Josh are definitely gelling way more as a group. 

That will make him feel more comfortable and he can relax a bit, not try to do too much often leading to mistakes. The oline will feel more comfortable and won’t try to do too much and that will lead to less whiffs (leading to mistakes). 

I guess what I’m saying is, there were so many new players on that offense and I’m starting to see them come together in a way that’s very encouraging for the future. 

I dont know what that means for this game, I’m not quite sure we’re ready to go score for score with a team like the Cowboys. But I am pretty excited about the growth i’m seeing each week. 

That with the 80mil or whatever we have to hopefully bring in some needed pieces next offseason I’m thinking we’re going to see a huge jump next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billvernsays said:

Ok so that’s what I’m getting at.

my question is If it’s a system thing doesn’t that take away from his natural ability to take off and run as the rush lanes open up because with a step drop there’s less space? 

I think they call too many 1 step drops. Hopefully it is more even down the stretch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I noticed Josh hopping (bouncing) around 

I call it happy feet 

like Peyton Manning did 

Brady bounces, Manning looked like he was almost running in place. To me, Josh’s pocket presence nor footwork look like either TB or PM. 

I do however notice that he takes super long strides when making his drops. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Brady bounces, Manning looked like he was almost running in place. To me, Josh’s pocket presence nor footwork look like either TB or PM. 

I do however notice that he takes super long strides when making his drops. 

the guy has a HUGE stride.  Perhaps that makes a 1 step for him equivalent to a 3 step for other QB's?  

Honestly, his footwork is much improved since college.  You are starting to see less and less of 5 and 7 step drops as a whole in the NFL.  Offenses are now being designed to be more quick hit, get the ball out in order to limit the pass rush.

With Allen, they have simplified this even further.  They are using his long stride to their advantage.  Because of his stride length, he can get to prper depths a little quicker with less steps.  This keeps him on platform more often as he doesn't have to think about his feet as much.  As for the bouncing, many great QBs do this.  It keeps the QB on his toes and ready to move his feet at any given moment.  Allows the QB to stay active and engaged the entire play.

But yeah, overall, Allen's footwork, while not perfect all the time, is night and day better than where it was in college and it has translated to improved throws this season.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, billvernsays said:

This is a really great observation.