Buffalo Tesla plant not exactly the picture of harmony

stuvian

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I live on the east side and this stuff isn't the norm. White people don't mob blacks or Latinos in mass

White people don't hate black people in Buffalo and you're just making it worse

It's not that inherent 

There are racists in every city it's not inherent. I had a black person call me a cracker and put a gun to my head are they all racist

Well we have something in common. But where did I say all whites are racist? 

Go to any love joy, south buffalo, Cheektowaga, Lancaster or Tonawanda bar. Go to pretty much any factory or warehouse. Go to riverside or black rock. Try North Tonawanda. 

Picking an area that is mostly African American and saying you don’t see whites being racist is pretty weak. Of course they won’t be open with it there they are outnumbered. 

There may not be lynch mobs all over and not all are vocal with it. Most will smile in your face and n- word this and racist comment that as soon as they get back in the house. 

https://ppgbuffalo.org/files/documents/data-demographics-history/a_city_divided__a_brief_history_of_segregation_in_the_city_of_buffalo.pdf

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So people take 1 section and can construe it to all of Buffalo is a big racist city?

I have white neighbors on the east side who would help out any single black person in need

The answer's in the middle.  I grew up there and lived half of my 51 years there.  Go back every month or so.  It can be VERY racist and segregated.  I think segregated is really the word.  Especially the suburbs.  My wife graduated from Lackawanna High.  Myself West Seneca.  Yet they all border on each, now mix in Orchard Park on that line.  There are definitely color lines and barriers especially when compared to where I live the last 25 years... Buffalo area is very VERY defined. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Well we have something in common. But where did I say all whites are racist? 

Go to any love joy, south buffalo, Cheektowaga, Lancaster or Tonawanda bar. Go to pretty much any factory or warehouse. Go to riverside or black rock. Try North Tonawanda. 

Picking an area that is mostly African American and saying you don’t see whites being racist is pretty weak. Of course they won’t be open with it there they are outnumbered. 

There may not be lynch mobs all over and not all are vocal with it. Most will smile in your face and n- word this and racist comment that as soon as they get back in the house. 

https://ppgbuffalo.org/files/documents/data-demographics-history/a_city_divided__a_brief_history_of_segregation_in_the_city_of_buffalo.pdf

Exiled has the word right..it's segregated which is different than racism

Much different

There is some racism (like I said it's everywhere) but it's mostly segregated

The suburbs got bigger in the 50s and the white people flooded them 

And because of economics most black families couldn't. Now there are lines , and I'm not saying that's right either

That's how buffalo spread 55 years ago

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

The answers in the middle.  I grew up there and lived half of my 51 years there.  Go back every month or so.  It can be VERY racist and segregated.  I think segregated is the word.  Especially the suburbs.  My wife graduated from Lackawanna High.  Myself West Seneca.  Yet they all border on each, now mix in Orchard Park on that line.  There are definitely color lines and barriers especially when compared to where I live the last 25 years... Buffalo area is very VERY defined. 

• Like (+1) 2

It has a lot to do with economics, property values, etc... It's changing now... And in some places like W.Seneca people are steaming mad!  So they white flight and move farther out.

It's happening (always been) here in Illinois.  My house built brand new in 1996 lost $40,000... Because of white flight.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exiled has the word right..it's segregated which is different than racism

Much different

There is some racism (like I said it's everywhere) but it's mostly segregated

The suburbs got bigger in the 50s and the white people flooded them 

And because of economics most black families couldn't. Now there are lines , and I'm not saying that's right either

That's how buffalo spread 55 years ago

Unlike Chicago... Detroit, where the Great Migration from South after the 1920s to the manufacturing jobs of the North put AAs on the South Sides.  Buffalo is more geographically isolated and radiates out east.

But till this day... South Chicago and South Buffalo, Predominantly Irish have stayed the same segregated way.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It has a lot to do with economics, property values, etc... It's changing now... And in some places like W.Seneca people are steaming mad!  So they white flight and move farther out.

It's happening (always been) here in Illinois.  My house built brand new in 1996 lost $40,000... Because of white flight.

Unlike Chicago... Detroit, where the Great Migration from South after the 1920s to the manufacturing jobs of the North put AAs on the South Sides.  Buffalo is more geographically isolated and radiates out east.

But till this day... South Chicago and South Buffalo, Predominantly Irish have stayed the same segregated way.

well I'm white and not Irish and my father always told me to stay out of those South Buffalo bars lol

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

well I'm white and not Irish and my father always told me to stay out of those South Buffalo bars lol

Crap... We are white and felt really out of place in a South BFLo bar.  South BFLo, as does South Chicago leave me with a creepy vibe... But I am Polish heritage... My family worked on railroad... Predominantly Irish workforce hated the Polish.

They all picked their tribal corners.  If my mother would bring an Italian date home... My grandfather wouldn't say a word. He'd get off his chair... Go to the bedroom and closed the door until they left.  My mother inlaw is Italian from Olean.  Father inlaw South BFLo Irish... It was HUUGE ta-do when they married in the early 1960s.  Hard to believe, right.  My MiL could tell you stories of how Olean was segregated between ethnic lines.  Too much to get into here... I will just bow gracefully out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Crap... We are white and felt really out of place in a South BFLo bar.  South BFLo, as does South Chicago leave me with a creepy vibe... But I am Polish heritage... My family worked on railroad... Predominantly Irish workforce hated the Polish.

They all picked their tribal corners.  If my mother would bring an Italian date home... My grandfather wouldn't say a word. He'd get off his chair... Go to the bedroom and closed the door until they left.  My mother inlaw is Italian from Olean.  Father inlaw South BFLo Irish... It was HUUGE ta-do when they married in the early 1960s.  Hard to believe, right.  My MiL could tell you stories of how Olean was segregated between ethnic lines.  Too much to get into here... I will just bow gracefully out.

Yeah as a polack  myself I was always very careful about going into a  South Buffalo Irish bar

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah as a polack  myself I was always very careful about going into a  South Buffalo Irish bar

Yeah... The lines were, are drawn.

My Polish/German last name is purposely pronounced to sound Irish for one fact alone: So my grandfather and his brothers could work on railroad.  Once they found out they weren't Irish... The fist fights would ensue.  Back then things were handled that way... Then you proved yourself with trust and doing the job, but not before things had to be resolved with fists first.  Being simply a different skin color would have closed that employment door immediately, especially in a place like BFLo.  I can't imagine how difficult it would be for people of color, non-Euro ethnicity...

I get what you are saying... I not trying to disparge my hometown... It's very different here in Illinois in a way... But very much the same, the game is just 1,000 times bigger so the warts are hidden.  You gotta figure, the ChicagoLand area is like going from Niagara County to the Pa Line. Years upon years of mixing.  BFLo area is very parochial. South Buffalo is the center of that parochial attitude.

Parochial is the word. Geography plays a part in how areas start out and grow too.  Other factors too historically how an area like BFLo, WNY played out.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Have you ever been to Buffalo with people that aren’t white?

Many times and a few came to my wedding.  I am in a mixed marriage by the way.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

You must be deaf or lying because they’re are a lot of racists in this area.

I don’t leave the house much in the last year because I’m disabled but when I could there wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t hear someone making racist comments. Maybe it completely changed in that year but I highly doubt it because there’s still a ton of people that say otherwise 

How many people per ton?  Do smaller people get more say because more fit per ton?

This is exaggeration to try to prove your point. You must be blind or lying.