Gameplan for the Cowboys

Virgil

You beat talented offenses, especially talented rushing offenses, by committing to the run and controlling the clock. Build an early lead on long sustained drives and put their back against the wall. Based on last week I think Daboll finally figured out we have a really good rush offense. So I'm hopeful he'll have the right game plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

The Cowboys are like us. They beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams. It will be really interesting to see who comes out on top.

They have the advantage on offense, us on defense. They're at home. I give the edge to the Cowboys, but either team could win.

makes sense, one of the few on here.... :D

35 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

The Dallas Cowboys will be feasting on Buffalo this Thanksgiving Day.  Get ready for a butt whooping guys not going to be pretty

Statements like this are just idiotic. You can believe the Cowboys will win. It's just dumb to have such smug confidence in a prediction.

If the Bills can hang with the Patriots they can hang with anyone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This is simply a game in which we're playing a better team.  I don't think they're "a lot," better, however, so I think it will boil down to minimizing mistakes on our end (especially drive-killing penalties and drops) and capitalizing on mistakes that they make.

If Andre Roberts can give us decent starting field position, Haushka continues to kick well and Bojo can be consistent, those things certainly won't hurt.

What I DON'T want to see is Daboll outcoaching himself.  I don't want to see cute college-level trickery.  I don't want to see QB-keepers on any downs in which we need more than two yards.

We will likely see Duke on the field again and I hope they play to his strength.  We know he's not a deep threat, per se, but he does have good hands and is a big target.  Take advantage of those things.

We cannot fall behind too much, too early.  We need to be able to run the ball like we did last week.  Daboll did a nice job of mixing it up with Gore and Singletary.  I'd love to see a few sustained drives during which we pound their defense for 5-6 minutes.

Solid fundamental football will win this game.  I hope they play their most disciplined game.  If they do, they'll win.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hope it's a good game for the second half

again with 3-8 Denver touted as a good team

3 and frickin' 8 Mr. Bigglesworth

I think you're missing the point of what he said. 

Denver wasn't being touted as a good team - they were touted as a "good defense" which they are. they were the number 5 overall defense in the league going in to last week, and our offense had a day.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

And the Cleveland game then?

sometimes you just have to let a winnable game slip away....

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I think you're missing the point of what he said. 

Denver wasn't being touted as a good team - they were touted as a "good defense" which they are. they were the number 5 overall defense in the league going in to last week, and our offense had a day.

when it becomes another garbagetime drubbing, the winning O pulls back on the reins and just grinds the clock out

that's how you get a 3-8 team with great D stats....

usually...

i look forward to this super Bills team bringing the hammer down on Dallas and Baltimore

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

when it becomes another garbagetime drubbing, the winning O pulls back on the reins and just grinds the clock out

usually...

i look forward to this super Bills team bringing the hammer down on Dallas and Baltimore

Yeah, but they haven't had really any "drubbings". I think five of the games they lost were in the fourth quarter. They lost by 8 to oakland, 11 to GB, 2 to chicago, 2 to jax, 2 to indy, 5 to cle, and 4 to min. 

The only "drubbings" were against KC (lost by 24) and Buffalo (lost by 17).

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

usually...

Hasn't Denver lost a bunch of close games? When are the opposing offenses pulling back?

Just checked... 4 of their 7 losses before last weekend were by less than a TD. Denver has been playing teams tough - because of a very good defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Philo said:

Hasn't Denver lost a bunch of close games? When are the opposing offenses pulling back?

Just checked... 4 of their 7 losses before last weekend were by less than a TD. Denver has been playing teams tough - because of a very good defense. 

Only real blowout before the Buffalo game was KC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hope it's a good game for the second half

again with 3-8 Denver touted as a good team

3 and frickin' 8 Mr. Bigglesworth

He said a good defensive team. They were the 4th ranked defense going in.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sick and tired of reading about why we should be worried about Dallas.  They should be worried about a top ranked pass D that can shut down Prescott.  They should be worried about an offense that piled up over 200 yards on the ground against a good defensive team in Denver.  They should be worried about how to defend the top WR for yardage in the AFC.  They should be worried about a young QB who can beat you with his arm and/or his legs.  

Rose colored glasses. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Of all the teams we face this season, I worry that the Cowboys present the biggest mis-match for our team.  They have three legitimate receivers and a punishing back in Zeke.  They've had solid success with the deep ball and have a reliable TE.  While we have Tre to take Cooper out of the equation, I worry about the other two receivers and if we can contain both of them while stopping the run.  Honesty, I'm surprised at how poor their record is and it makes me think of both the Eagles and Browns games where the talent is there, but mistakes slow them down.  You remove those mistakes, and they can beat anyone.

With that, I think our overall strategy needs to be the "bend but don't break" type where we will give up yards, but not touchdowns.  Get them into 3rd and short and then stop them there.  I don't see there being a lot of 3 and outs.

Unfortunately, their bigger weakness isn't one we can take large advantage of; which is their defense.  While we've seen improvement with our offense, I don't think we are capable of winning a shootout.  The strategy there is similar to what we did against the Broncos last week.  Control the clock and don't let their offense get into rhythm.

I'm curious to see how the rookies and Allen handle playing in that type of stadium with a different rhythm and gameday theatrics. 

They're actually almost identical to Cleveland's weapons except for Cleveland was missing their star tight end.