Gameplan for the Cowboys

Virgil

Of all the teams we face this season, I worry that the Cowboys present the biggest mis-match for our team.  They have three legitimate receivers and a punishing back in Zeke.  They've had solid success with the deep ball and have a reliable TE.  While we have Tre to take Cooper out of the equation, I worry about the other two receivers and if we can contain both of them while stopping the run.  Honesty, I'm surprised at how poor their record is and it makes me think of both the Eagles and Browns games where the talent is there, but mistakes slow them down.  You remove those mistakes, and they can beat anyone.

With that, I think our overall strategy needs to be the "bend but don't break" type where we will give up yards, but not touchdowns.  Get them into 3rd and short and then stop them there.  I don't see there being a lot of 3 and outs.

Unfortunately, their bigger weakness isn't one we can take large advantage of; which is their defense.  While we've seen improvement with our offense, I don't think we are capable of winning a shootout.  The strategy there is similar to what we did against the Broncos last week.  Control the clock and don't let their offense get into rhythm.

I'm curious to see how the rookies and Allen handle playing in that type of stadium with a different rhythm and gameday theatrics. 

• Like (+1) 4

I'm most concerned about Josh Allen going into this game.  It's his first real test in the national spotlight and the worry is that he'll come in tight, or trying to play hero ball.  If he can just block out the noise and play within himself like he has the past few weeks, I think we get the win.  But I just have this irrational fear that "Bad Josh" is going to show up tomorrow

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Unfortunately, their bigger weakness isn't one we can take large advantage of; which is their defense

I believe with Vander Esch and Antoine Woods out we should have success with our running game up the middle and at the second level.  If Heath is out at SS due to shoulder injury this will help even more.  

Agree that Daboll should use same strategy he used with Broncos - hurry up, 11 formation, motion and RPO to freeze LBs

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 4

On Offense, they are basically Cleveland with a better OL. 

We’re going to need the defense we’ve seen in the past few games that is solid against the run and has developed a legit pass rush or else it’s going to be on our Offense to score around 30. 

On Offense, with Woods and Vander Esch out, I think we might see another run heavy game with Singletary/Gore and some jet sweep action from McKenzie. 

Sounds like their defense struggles against mobile QBs as well, so it might be another game where Josh looks to pick up some running yards when they’re available.  

That being said, National TV, climate controlled environment.. I can’t shake the feeling that Allen airs it out, especially if we can establish a run game and get them to bite on play action. 

I think you beat the Cowboys by playing man coverage and blitzing Edmunds and Milano frequently and often. Force Dak to beat you with his arm. I think you leave TreDavious on an island while giving Levi extra safety help. Key is to remove/limit Zeke as much as possible.

On offense I think you pound the ball and execute lots of play action. It looks like LVE is out so I think Singletary should get 20-25 touches to set up the play action. I’d like to see us take some shots deep and take the top off the defense. Lots of sweeps and short crossing routes to Beasley, Foster and McKenzie. 

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm most concerned about Josh Allen going into this game.  It's his first real test in the national spotlight and the worry is that he'll come in tight, or trying to play hero ball.  If he can just block out the noise and play within himself like he has the past few weeks, I think we get the win.  But I just have this irrational fear that "Bad Josh" is going to show up tomorrow

I think hes gonna be amazing. I think that after tomorrow he begins his true ascent into a true franchise qb. 

• Like (+1) 3

I’m sick and tired of reading about why we should be worried about Dallas.  They should be worried about a top ranked pass D that can shut down Prescott.  They should be worried about an offense that piled up over 200 yards on the ground against a good defensive team in Denver.  They should be worried about how to defend the top WR for yardage in the AFC.  They should be worried about a young QB who can beat you with his arm and/or his legs.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

The Dallas Cowboys will be feasting on Buffalo this Thanksgiving Day.  Get ready for a butt whooping guys not going to be pretty

The only feasting for the Cowboys will be the Johnnie Walker Blue dousing poor Mr. Jones' much maligned liver ca. 8pm EST...

hesitate 2018 nfl GIF by NFL

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I got a bad feeling bout this one.

hope it's a good game for the second half

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sick and tired of reading about why we should be worried about Dallas.  They should be worried about a top ranked pass D that can shut down Prescott.  They should be worried about an offense that piled up over 200 yards on the ground against a good defensive team in Denver.  They should be worried about how to defend the top WR for yardage in the AFC.  They should be worried about a young QB who can beat you with his arm and/or his legs.  

again with 3-8 Denver touted as a good team

3 and frickin' 8 Mr. Bigglesworth

The Cowboys are like us. They beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams. It will be really interesting to see who comes out on top.

They have the advantage on offense, us on defense. They're at home. I give the edge to the Cowboys, but either team could win.

• Like (+1) 3