MNF: Once the best, now the worst show on TV

PromoTheRobot

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

it was always overrated, we only had 3 channels and 3 newspapers of record and they dictated whatever narrative they chose

There were also standards of what was required to be considered a news outlet, prior to deregulation of the FCC. In many ways the information was superior.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

There were also standards of what was required to be considered a news outlet, prior to deregulation of the FCC. In many ways the information was superior.

yup

so ABC came up with this and then told us how it was the most amazing thing ever, almost cured every disease known to man

mediocre MNF football games and Muhammad Ali carrying some load for 15 rounds... nothing was better than that ever, all on ABC

6 hours ago, Aireskoi said:

They should get this game back on ABC and get new announcers.  I haven't watched MNF in years, I just listen to one of the teams radio broadcast online.

it’s all Disney so not sure being on ABC would make a difference.  ESPN can change the announcers...

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yup

so ABC came up with this and then told us how it was the most amazing thing ever, almost cured every disease known to man

mediocre MNF football games and Muhammad Ali carrying some load for 15 rounds... nothing was better than that ever, all on ABC

Roone Arledge always thought a lot more of his products than the rest of us did.

Let's address the elephant in the room.  It's on ESPN!!! ESPN is on Cable.  People are dropping cable by the millions, particularly young people.  That means no one can watch the game anymore.  

You lose that 18-35 demographic and you are toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lamar Jackson could've farted in Joe Tessitore's egg salad sandwich and the guy would've thanked him for it. I agree with others that feel the announcers need to be unbiased but there are narratives to be pushed. These guys run production meetings and outline their talking points and probably get told to focus a certain amount of time and attention towards certain players and situations. It's lame. 

I actually can't stand listening to most of them. Al Davis on SNF is my guy and I used to not mind Collinsworth until he turned into a PFF shill and acts like every other play is the most incredible display of strength and skill he's ever seen. I wanted to throw a bowling pin at Rich Gannon this past Sunday. I wouldn't mind if Adam Archuleta had a bad taco and had to deal with the Hershey squirts for 72 hours. Even the hometown guy John Murphy I can't stand. He just doesn't sound good. I haven't heard much of Eric Wood but he seems to be doing well. Most games I keep the volume low and try not to pay attention to the commentary. 

Sounds shallow - but for me some of it is just missing the sound of an iconic broadcasting voice, separate even from what they are saying

I used to love listening to Al Michaels, Dan Diedorf and Frank Gifford. 

Since we're on the subject, what the hell is wrong with all the announcers now? Is it just me thinking everything was better in my youth, or are they all sh*t now? 

I like Romo, I like Michaels and don't actually mind Collinsworth. 

I miss guys like Enberg and Summerall. There must be some really talented guys doing college football radio or something. Where the hell are the talent spotters? It's like they just want guys to call the games now. With football games being 3 hours long they have all those stories and drama that develop over the course of a game. You need people who can explain the drama, people who can fill in the blanks during stoppages and time-outs, people who can make a game fun even when it's a blowout or a punt fest.

• Like (+1) 1