Joe Cribbs = Devin Singeltary

Stallions

19 hours ago, finn said:

Singletary reminds me more of Thurman Thomas. Same low center of gravity, shiftiness, patience, and knack for repositioning his feet under his body. Neither had/have breakaway speed, both adept catching the ball, although Thurman probably was better in that respect. He was also three inches taller. Same weight, though. The coaches seem concerned Singletary can't handle a full load, but he had a million carries in college, and he has plenty of weight on that short body. Tough to tackle. A promising back. 

I felt the same way about his stature and durability but after him seeing him move a pile of DTs five or six yards downfield before they could bring him down I have to say I am impressed.

Watching those highlights sure brought back some memories.  Cribbs, Fergie, Curtis Brown, Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, even Phil Vilipiano with that weird padding around his neck...  I loved watching those guys as a kid.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. In Cribbs' rookie year, NFL teams averaged 30.5 fumbles per season.

Whereas last year, teams averaged around 19.75 fumbles per season.

Those were different times. Defenders were allowed to do pretty much everything not involving automatic weapons.

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. In Cribbs' rookie year, NFL teams averaged 30.5 fumbles per season.

Whereas last year, teams averaged around 19.75 fumbles per season.

Those were different times. Defenders were allowed to do pretty much everything not involving automatic weapons.

Defenders could use their elbows and helmets as weapons.  And, no replay to see if a knee was down before the fumble!

3 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Watching those highlights sure brought back some memories.  Cribbs, Fergie, Curtis Brown, Frank Lewis, Jerry Butler, even Phil Vilipiano with that weird padding around his neck...  I loved watching those guys as a kid.

I loved Ferguson's quick release, almost a wrist throw that was deadly accurate!

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Joe Cribbs was a fun player to watch. 

It was too bad he became a malcontent in only his second year.

So true.  Money got in the way of his career.  And, Ralph didn't like that crap at all.

22 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

To answer your question regarding if I think That McDermott is better than Chuck Knox. I do. Simply by comparing their win/loss records after 2 full seasons and 11 games in Buffalo. Knox's record is 20 wins 23 losses no playoff appearance through the first two seasons. McDermott has a 23 wins and 20 loss record with 1 playoff appearance. Knox's body of work is greater than McDermott's up to this point, simply because he has been a HC longer and he had some great seasons with the Rams. But when comparing their time with the Bills. I believe that McDermott is a better coach.

as a side note. I also believe that we have more talent now on this team then what was on the team during Cribbs early years with the Bills. But that is comparing apples to oranges. Since The era's are so different. But for that time there was a lot of talent on the team when Joe was drafted.

crazy

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Joe Cribbs was a fun player to watch. 

It was too bad he became a malcontent in only his second year.

By malcontent you mean not satisfied with his contract?

Funny how every great player the Bills had under Ralph from 1960-1990......including all of their recently inducted HOF'ers....... was at some point a "malcontent" then.

Ralph needed a perfect storm of belief that the talent could win a SB and a HC/GM who were good at kissing his ass to get him to be committed to winning.

2 hours ago, Stallions said:

I loved Ferguson's quick release, almost a wrist throw that was deadly accurate!

So true.  Money got in the way of his career.  And, Ralph didn't like that crap at all.

Ralph didn't like paying his employees what they were worth. This is the main reason why the Bills never accomplished much from the late 60's to the mid-80's. Saban and Knox had the competence to build teams that could have potentially competed with the Dolphins, Raiders, and Steelers of that era. They just needed the financial backing. And even if you disagree with that strong statement, you should concede that this franchise should not have fallen to FIVE 1-win or 2-win seasons in an 18-year time span (1968-85). That's all on miserly Ralph.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

Ralph didn't like paying his employees what they were worth. This is the main reason why the Bills never accomplished much from the late 60's to the mid-80's. Saban and Knox had the competence to build teams that could have potentially competed with the Dolphins, Raiders, and Steelers of that era. They just needed the financial backing. And even if you disagree with that strong statement, you should concede that this franchise should not have fallen to FIVE 1-win or 2-win seasons in an 18-year time span (1968-85). That's all on miserly Ralph.

I lived through those years and agree with your assessment.  It was embarrassing but the fans still showed up!

On 11/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, NewEra said:

I don’t see one similarity in their running style.  Literally not one 

And you’re serious?

Cribbs was pretty special.  More special than most of this threads contributors realize. Sad that this isn’t known on a Bills board. 

Yep. I see this all the time. We forget how good some former players were! We should be thrilled if we got the late 2019 version of Joe Cribbs in the 3rd round. He had about 1700 yards from scrimmage on 2 occasions in his Bills career.

Then again, I've seen people say that Josh Allen should be (not "could be") far better than Steve McNair or Donovan McNabb. If these people are too young to remember, I understand. But often they're not ...

On 11/26/2019 at 7:13 PM, DRA3196 said:

Motor is playing with a lot more talent around him and a competent coaching staff. Same thing can't be said for Cribbs.

Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis would like a word with you.  Chuck Knox wasn't competent?

On 11/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I feel like this thread has really set the bar low for Singletary.  He has much more potential than Joe Cribbs.  

Joe Cribbs could ball.  Low bar?  ???

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Cribbs was really special and for a few years the Bills were run to watch with Cribbs , Ferguson, Lewis and Butler.  Seems like a lifetime ago  Heck its been 25 years since we were on tv on Thanksgiving Day

They were fun to watch.........and it seems like a lifetime because it's nearly 2 generations ago.?

Our standards have been lowered to the point of pathetic offensively. 

Looking forward to hopefully many years of good/great offensive teams over the next decade or so.