Joe Cribbs = Devin Singeltary

Stallions

27 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

That's just it. Different era, different rules, different statistical expectations. Turnovers in general were more prolific in the old days. For example: look up the interception rates of Kemp, Ferguson, Kelly, etc... all QB busts, right?

Yup. In Cribbs' rookie year, NFL teams averaged 30.5 fumbles per season.

Whereas last year, teams averaged around 19.75 fumbles per season.

Those were different times. Defenders were allowed to do pretty much everything not involving automatic weapons.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DRA3196 said:

To answer your question regarding if I think That McDermott is better than Chuck Knox. I do. Simply by comparing their win/loss records after 2 full seasons and 11 games in Buffalo. Knox's record is 20 wins 23 losses no playoff appearance through the first two seasons. McDermott has a 23 wins and 20 loss record with 1 playoff appearance. Knox's body of work is greater than McDermott's up to this point, simply because he has been a HC longer and he had some great seasons with the Rams. But when comparing their time with the Bills. I believe that McDermott is a better coach.

as a side note. I also believe that we have more talent now on this team then what was on the team during Cribbs early years with the Bills. But that is comparing apples to oranges. Since The era's are so different. But for that time there was a lot of talent on the team when Joe was drafted.

McDermott is better than Ground Chuck?   How many title games did Knox take the Rams and Seahawks to?   The guy turned around 3 separate moribund franchises while never having a great QB.  And Knox succeeded in Buffalo despite a lousy, meddling owner in an era when it was harder to turn teams around.

McBeane took over a .500 franchise with a decent roster of talent and were given autonomy and a blank check in free agency to do whatever they wanted here.   By contrast the organization Knox inherited had the #1 overall pick in hand from the OJ trade and Ralph refused to pay the guy and he signed with Montreal LOL.   It was a constant struggle between Ralph and the FO.    IMO Knox is by far the best real football coach Buffalo has ever had.   Marv Levy was a student teacher compared to Knox.    I hope McD gets there but at this point it's an absurd comparison.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

How fantastic can you be if you fumbled 44 times?  Dude would have been out of the league in a year in today's era.

Umm...6 fumbles lost.  Different rules, no replay,.. and sorry, it was a much tougher game then.  Cribbs and Roger Craig kind of pioneered the dual threat running back idea.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Stallions said:

WOW - what a comment!  Absolutely dumb!

how so ?

Cribbs signed a contract with the USFL while under contract to the NFL

he was named Papermate Man of the Year by the equivalent of The Onion at the time.

read and learn a little before you call people dumb, doubles down on your lack of intelligence, kiddo...   :D

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Cribbs was a special running back and in another league than Singletary. Career NFL stats are little indication how good Cribbs was

Complete agreement with this.  Cribbs was an incredible back.  I like Singletary a lot.  Joe Cribbs was truly a special back.  Give me Cribbs any day.

• Like (+1) 2

I think that we have to realize that the emotional stress of Thanksgiving dinners can lead some to go on a days long bender to cope with the stress. In that light, let us be kind to the OP in this thread and just forget he ever wrote this and not hold it against him in the future. Let he who has not got through turkey day in an alcoholic stupor cast the first snarky reply.

Cribs and Singeltary have very different running styles. 

Cribbs was a glider with exceptional vision and speed. 

Singeltary is start  and stop, quick change of direction and acceleration, low center of gravity. 

His style is is actually reminiscent of Barry Sanders. Not quite as sudden as Sanders was. No one is. But the same running style. 

6 hours ago, Buftex said:

Umm...6 fumbles lost.  Different rules, no replay,.. and sorry, it was a much tougher game then.  Cribbs and Roger Craig kind of pioneered the dual threat running back idea.  

I looked at the stats and one year Cribbs averaged 15.1 yards per reception on 40 catches....that is unbelievable for a running back...many WRs don't even average that!

• Like (+1) 1

Cribbs also returned punts for the Bills. I remember him trying to fair catch one against the Jets his rookie year. With his head and hand up to catch the ball, the gunner from the Jets stuck his helmet right on his chinstrap at full spreed. For some reason he may have fumbled it. I can't remember if he there was a penalty called, but just for a stories sake lets just say it wasn't called.:D 

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

If you wanna compare DS to a RB from the 80’s............

Joe Morris is the better comparison.

Excellent comparison. 

11 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Cribs and Singeltary have very different running styles. 

Cribbs was a glider with exceptional vision and speed. 

Singeltary is start  and stop, quick change of direction and acceleration, low center of gravity. 

His style is is actually reminiscent of Barry Sanders. Not quite as sudden as Sanders was. No one is. But the same running style. 

Singletary is like Sanders in the same way that a single engine Cessna is like an F-16. Yes, they both fly and can carry a passenger. 

Don't get me wrong I like Singletary but let's not get carried away here. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think we're seeing a bit of generation divide here. To you young guys -- everybody in Bills-land loves Singletary; he could really develop into a special back. But Joe Cribbs was absolute dynamite. To my mind, he was the original dual-threat running back, presaging by a decade the Thurmon Thomas/Marshall Faulk hybrid backs. Cribbs was a shifty-smooth-strong runner with amazing hands and superb route-running skills.  If a defense was foolish enough to try to cover him with a linebacker, Cribbs would absolutely kill them. The Bills had a lot of great offensive weapons in the early 80s, but Cribbs was the original "motor". That said, keep it rolling, Devin!! ?  Quick edit  -- lest anybody think I was shortchanging Singletary -- check highlights for his fantastic blitz-pickup block on Josh's TD pass to Cole Beasley last Sunday. Singletary totally stones the full-tilt linebacker to give Josh the clean pocket; a real veteran-looking play there.

Edited by Stranded in Boston
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Locomark said:

He better be better than Cribbs!! Cribbs was hot for 3 years and than was pretty much a non factor after age 25.  We need Devin to be a factor for at least 7–10 years. 

Just wondering, how old are you?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stranded in Boston said:

I think we're seeing a bit of generation divide here. To you young guys -- everybody in Bills-land loves Singletary; he could really develop into a special back. But Joe Cribbs was absolute dynamite. To my mind, he was the original dual-threat running back, presaging by a decade the Thurmon Thomas/Marshall Faulk hybrid backs. Cribbs was a shifty-smooth-strong runner with amazing hands and superb route-running skills.  If a defense was foolish enough to try to cover him with a linebacker, Cribbs would absolutely kill them. The Bills had a lot of great offensive weapons in the early 80s, but Cribbs was the original "motor". That said, keep it rolling, Devin!! ?  Quick edit  -- lest anybody think I was shortchanging Singletary -- check highlights for his fantastic blitz-pickup block on Josh's TD pass to Cole Beasley last Sunday. Singletary totally stones the full-tilt linebacker to give Josh the clean pocket; a real veteran-looking play there.

It's hard to even compare RB's from then to now.   If you are a RB now you probably weren't going to be great anywhere else or your handlers would have moved you to defense or WR etc.. where the money is.   Back in Cribbs day the 3rd most talented player on the team might have been the 3rd string RB.   The talent gravitated toward the RB position because that's where the glory and the dollars were then.   Nowadays someone with Cribbs body and skillset would probably be a stud CB.      

• Like (+1) 2