Joe Cribbs = Devin Singeltary

Stallions

I know Cribbs played in the 80's.  He was 5-11 and 190 lbs.  His career average rushing after 8 years in the NFL was 4.1 Y/A.  He also caught 224 passes and averaged 9.5 yards per reception.  BUT - during his 5 years with the Bills he fumbled 44 times with only 6 recovered.

Devin is 5'7" and 203 lbs.  He is now averaging 5.8 yards per rushing attempt.  He's caught 17 passes for a 7.2 Y/R.

I see the similarities in their running styles.  Quick, tough to bring down and great moves to avoid tackles. 

10 minutes ago, Stallions said:

I know Cribbs played in the 80's.  He was 5-11 and 190 lbs.  His career average rushing after 8 years in the NFL was 4.1 Y/A.  He also caught 224 passes and averaged 9.5 yards per reception.  BUT - during his 5 years with the Bills he fumbled 44 times with only 6 recovered.

Devin is 5'7" and 203 lbs.  He is now averaging 5.8 yards per rushing attempt.  He's caught 17 passes for a 7.2 Y/R.

I see the similarities in their running styles.  Quick, tough to bring down and great moves to avoid tackles. 

I do not remember him fumbling that much. That's an absurd amount.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure what this thread is trying to convey. Are you just comparing the skill sets and didn’t mean to make the fumble thing stand out as much as it did or what? 

Kinda started one way and felt like there was a build up to something with zero payoff. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

Singletary reminds me more of Thurman Thomas. Same low center of gravity, shiftiness, patience, and knack for repositioning his feet under his body. Neither had/have breakaway speed, both adept catching the ball, although Thurman probably was better in that respect. He was also three inches taller. Same weight, though. The coaches seem concerned Singletary can't handle a full load, but he had a million carries in college, and he has plenty of weight on that short body. Tough to tackle. A promising back. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

You never saw cribbs play then.

There were a lot of GREAT RB's in the NFL back then but Cribbs was a real star.

The second best RB in the AFC behind Earl Campbell in the 4 years before he signed with the USFL as a free agent.     

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i think their talent level is similar.But they are nothing alike as far as RBs go. Cribbs  was smoother more fluid classic style RB.

Singletary is way lower to the ground and his style is more explosive.

Cribbs burned out by playing in the NFL then the USFL and then back to the NFL..in just a  couple years.He was never near the same.He looked exhausted.

he had 4 excellent yrs but was over the hill/burned out by age 27.

57 minutes ago, Stallions said:

I actually have thought the same thing while watching Singletary. Cribbs was a good football player, didn't have breakaway speed, but could catch and make people miss and cut on a dime like Devin. Good call!

1 minute ago, DRA3196 said:

Motor is playing with a lot more talent around him and a competent coaching staff. Same thing can't be said for Cribbs.

uhhh...not really true when he had his good seasons in Buffalo.

The Bills early 80s team was better than this present team.And he was coached by Chuck Knox.You think McDermott is a better coach than Chuck Knox??/-no sane person believes that.

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, finn said:

Singletary reminds me more of Thurman Thomas. Same low center of gravity, shiftiness, patience, and knack for repositioning his feet under his body. Neither had/have breakaway speed, both adept catching the ball, although Thurman probably was better in that respect. He was also three inches taller. Same weight, though. The coaches seem concerned Singletary can't handle a full load, but he had a million carries in college, and he has plenty of weight on that short body. Tough to tackle. A promising back. 

They also both use the jump cut.