Joe B. All-22 from Broncos game - pump the brakes on Cody Ford vs Von Miller love

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

and yet we are talking about the Grades of an All-22 on this ONE game.  See how asinine you sound

I'm talking about how that projects on his season and what kinda of player he will be in the future.  You're talking about 1 game in the context of a season.  See how asinine that is?  We can go back and talk about good games Demetrius bell and Kirk Chambers had too if you want.  

I think the overall review is fine, for the most part. I guess one issue I have is the "pump the breaks" comment. Breaks on what? Have people been proclaiming Ford an All-Pro T based on that performance? Maybe Pro Bowl? How about Offensive Rookie of the Year? Has there been a general agreement Ford is now legit, every play starting RT in the NFL? Well, if so I haven't heard or seen anything to that effect.

So I ask again, what exactly do we need to "pump the breaks" on? Acknowledging a solid game against one of the NFL's best (yes with help)? Noticing he is improving as he learns the NFL game?  I don't know.  I've never had to pump the breaks when I was only traveling 15 MPH--even if I sped up from 5 MPH. 

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I'm talking about how that projects on his season and what kinda of player he will be in the future.  You're talking about 1 game in the context of a season.  See how asinine that is?  We can go back and talk about good games Demetrius bell and Kirk Chambers had too if you want.  

Spin it however you want.  fact remains Ford had a very good game against an all pro pass rusher

15 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think the overall review is fine, for the most part. I guess one issue I have is the "pump the breaks" comment. Breaks on what? Have people been proclaiming Ford an All-Pro T based on that performance? Maybe Pro Bowl? How about Offensive Rookie of the Year? Has there been a general agreement Ford is now legit, every play starting RT in the NFL? Well, if so I haven't heard or seen anything to that effect.

So I ask again, what exactly do we need to "pump the breaks" on? Acknowledging a solid game against one of the NFL's best (yes with help)? Noticing he is improving as he learns the NFL game?  I don't know.  I've never had to pump the breaks when I was only traveling 15 MPH--even if I sped up from 5 MPH. 

The exact quote that Joe tweeted was "Lets pump the brakes on the Ford v. Von Miller love".  As a reporter, I'm sure he may also look at this forum and analyze social media posts.  This forum had a thread right after the game title "Put Down the Pitchforks (Specifically those sharpened for Cody Ford)" which focused on how Ford handled Miller.  And I'm sure Twitter had plenty of commentary declaring Ford's battles against Miller a rousing success.  So as he promotes his story, which is normal for a reporter, he highlighted what he found on the All-22 putting the match-up into perspective.  That's all it is, I believe.  

The subsequent article does not disparage Ford, it simply points out that he didn't single-handedly shut down Miller.  There was lots of help.  As I've stated in replies above, there's nothing wrong with that.  But the reporters' analysis is helpful in understanding where Ford is at this point in his rookie season.

Edited by cage

I'm just here to say that this wave of "no one is allowed to say anything even REMOTELY negative about the Bills!" stuff is beyond lame. People are being overly sensitive to a comical degree.

I agree that over-the-top pessimism or negativity about the Bills is obnoxious. But folks...Joe B's article? IT AIN'T THAT!

I'm not sure when it became unacceptable to offer reasonable, review-based critiques of Bills players and their performance in games. Do people really ONLY want to read head-over-hells boot-licking of the Bills?

People saying Joe B is just like Jerry Sullivan now? REALLY?!

I'm as optimistic a Bills fan as you'll find anywhere. My Bills-colored glasses are always on. Even I, though, find the over-sensitivity to any type of critique whatsoever to be absolutely ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just here to say that this wave of "no one is allowed to say anything even REMOTELY negative about the Bills!" stuff is beyond lame. People are being overly sensitive to a comical degree.

I agree that over-the-top pessimism or negativity about the Bills is obnoxious. But folks...Joe B's article? IT AIN'T THAT!

I'm not sure when it became unacceptable to offer reasonable, review-based critiques of Bills players and their performance in games. Do people really ONLY want to read head-over-hells boot-licking of the Bills?

People saying Joe B is just like Jerry Sullivan now? REALLY?!

I'm as optimistic a Bills fan as you'll find anywhere. My Bills-colored glasses are always on. Even I, though, find the over-sensitivity to any type of critique whatsoever to be absolutely ridiculous.

I can still like the Cody Ford pick AND say that Joe B. is entitled to his opinion

What gets missed here is (if the team is smart) ALL rookies will get chip help when facing a premier pass rusher.....so I dont really look at it as negative on Ford....I look at it as the team was smart.

Cody Ford is gonna be a good player

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I can still like the Cody Ford pick AND say that Joe B. is entitled to his opinion

What gets missed here is (if the team is smart) ALL rookies will get chip help when facing a premier pass rusher.....so I dont really look at it as negative on Ford....I look at it as the team was smart.

Cody Ford is gonna be a good player

I hear ya.

I like Ford.

I had no problem with Joe B's article or comments.

I think what he said was completely accurate and fair. Basically, he said that Ford certainly did pretty well, but the "he completely shut down Miller, he was a beast!" proclamations were a bit over the top. That, to me, seems like a factually correct assessment in light of the All-22 Review.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess I'm wondering what is the definition of "attacked relentlessly"?

I see one post slinging a mild insult "tool", maybe two if "enjoy the game" counts as an attack?

The rest appear to be differing opinions and a few questioning Joe's film breakdown chops, which I think is fair it's not like he's a former OL coach. 

Where are the relentless attacks?

My definition of an attack is those times when someone, fan or media type, documents objective criticism of a personnel decision, game result, etc. and then are criticized for not being supportive of the team.  It's as if their analysis is tossed out because it's not "pro-team."  Much of the time, the individual is marginalized, particularly with media types.  

Numerous times over the years I've seen more objective fans who aren't in lock step with the team simply leave or just post a lot less.  My memory is good, but I cannot summarize years of experiences here in a single post.  We both know that it happens and the discussion about this team has suffered from it.    

11 hours ago, cage said:

The exact quote that Joe tweeted was "Lets pump the brakes on the Ford v. Von Miller love".  As a reporter, I'm sure he may also look at this forum and analyze social media posts.  This forum had a thread right after the game title "Put Down the Pitchforks (Specifically those sharpened for Cody Ford)" which focused on how Ford handled Miller.  And I'm sure Twitter had plenty of commentary declaring Ford's battles against Miller a rousing success.  So as he promotes his story, which is normal for a reporter, he highlighted what he found on the All-22 putting the match-up into perspective.  That's all it is, I believe.  

The subsequent article does not disparage Ford, it simply points out that he didn't single-handedly shut down Miller.  There was lots of help.  As I've stated in replies above, there's nothing wrong with that.  But the reporters' analysis is helpful in understanding where Ford is at this point in his rookie season.

Nice explanation. But if that's the case, I still mostly disagree with that statement. Ford (and the defense) did an excellent of job of handling Miller. Maybe he didn't handle it all by himself (as he and others have noted) but very few tackles handle Von by himself (as he and others have noted).  He did was he was asked to do. Held up and allowed the help to assist. If he screws up bad enough, the help typically doesn't matter. Von torches veteran tackles (with help!) on a regular basis. So yes, you can pick apart the tape and say, well he didn't do it all by himself. So what? Who does, really? Maybe one or two tackles in the league? 

I think Sundays performance was a perfect opportunity to tell the "pitchfork crowd" to pump the breaks---while not at the same time going overboard. Because only the "pitchfork crowd" seemed to be going anywhere fast enough to need to pump the breaks.  But he seems to be saying the opposite. That's what I don't understand.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't follow that at all. 

As a matter of fact, I do do my own all-22 breakdown most weeks though I don't do it to "grade" and wouldn't want to pretend to

But why must one complete a task oneself to critique it or to question someone's qualifications to perform it? 

I don't have to be a roofer myself to look across the street and say that the guys roofing the neighbor's house are half-assing the flashing and using safety lines in a manner they shouldn't be used, do I?  I just need to understand how flashing is supposed to work, and that safety lines are supposed to be protection against a fall, not something you hang from while hammering instead of working off a scaffold or ladder.

Would you say a guy telling him to "enjoy the win", another saying he sounds like Sully, and a third pointing out that he may be casting as criticism something that's actually good play design qualifies as being "attacked relentlessly"? 

As an example of a relentless attack, I'd say it seems pretty weak sauce.

No, you don't have to be a roofer to "say that the guys roofing the neighbor's house are half-assing the flashing and using safety lines in a manner they shouldn't be used." But that's not what was being said. What you're doing there is a very specific critique, and your hypothetical guy is actually watching the roofers work. Do you have anybody here who was watching Joe do the work? Is the critique specific?

Your analogy doesn't hold up. The critiques were wildly general, come from zero watching of Joe work and are critiquing not the methods but the guy and the conclusions.

As for the relentless attacks being weak, did he say the attacks were strong, or did he say they were relentless? Relentless means they never stop, and as I follow both Joe's work and the responses, I'd argue that's true pretty much whenever Joe writes something that's below the unrealistically positive opinions most Bills fans want to hear about the Bills.

You leave out the fact that the guy who told him to enjoy the win crammed two irreligious references in his two-line post. And while Sully is a fine reporter, the people who refuse to hear anything negative about the Bills think Sully is wildly unfair to the Bills. And the guy pointing out that he's criticizing Ford for good results that came from play design is throwing up a straw man argument. Joe pointed out that there was no bad result of the play. Does the fact that the ball came out before a defender got there mean that ineffective blocking on the play is OK? It shouldn't, for anyone with a neutral attitude. Of course these are all attacks.

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

..  Your opinion ^^ 

I've been reading Bills beat reporters stuff for 40 years and post the SB era they all became cantankerous tools 

Enjoy the win and stop bitching  >> My opinion

I've been reading for the same length of time. And I totally disagree.

Yeah, they wrote a lot more critical stuff after the Super Bowl era. But that had an awful lot to do with the fact that the team was pretty poor. The best years were mediocre. When the team is poor, reporters should report that. This has been a poor team for a long long time. When we've had our occasional flashes, the reporters have been effusive. I'll always remember Sully saying six games in during the Trent Edwards 2008 campaign that Gailey should be among the faves for coach of the year thus far.

And Joe wasn't bitching. He's reporting his findings from watching the All-22. That's his job. I'd argue the one bitching here is you.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

How many players play well against Von Miller by themselves. Joe B discredits Ford. Ok fine so a rookie didn’t play well alone against a HoF. I look at it as credit to the coaching staff for a solid game plan and credit to the players for executing it. 

He's not "discrediting" Ford.

He's saying that people assuming that he'd been solely responsible for holding Miller out by himself were giving him too much credit. And there absolutely were people assuming that.

He's saying that some credit goes to double-teams, chip blocks and plays designed to get the ball out quickly being run as designed by Allen.

He's totally agreeing with your last sentence, saying that people giving no credit for other players and for good game plans and giving all the credit to Ford were missing a lot of the reason that Miller didn't get home against Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, boater said:

Cody done good.

Those who believe otherwise -- thank you for not being my parent in little league/

i had those too. " You're not good enough, you'll never make it, yada yada" and it wasn't some reverse psychology they really meant it. My dad used to laugh when ever i lost a wrestling match which was a lot my first year. I said to myself if he laughs again we are going to have a fight !!! But i won my next match which i believe was God keeping our relationship intact. after that i got pretty good so he quit laughing, being bigger stronger and a better wrestler didn't hurt either.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, TPS said:

Yeah, my untrained eye says Ed was a beast in that game. His sack was a perfect example of his skills.

I hope Tomorrow turns out to be his coming out party for a national audience. 

I'd say Ed, Josh, And the Boys had a nice party.