Joe B. All-22 from Broncos game - pump the brakes on Cody Ford vs Von Miller love

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

..  Your opinion ^^ 

No kidding..

I've been reading Bills beat reporters stuff for 40 years and post the SB era they all became cantankerous tools 

What does that have to do with Joe’s article?

Enjoy the win and stop bitching  >> My opinion

Did you even read the article? The only one coming across as a tool is you. And before you say it, yes that’s my opinion.

• Sad 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Joe B said the same. 

Don’t get the Athletic, just voicing my thoughts on the snippets here, Good to see Joe is smart like me, ?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But it's just his opinion when all's said and done.  My only quarrel is with people who believe it's an objective analysis.  Even Joe B states "it is a subjective analysis and it's important to note we do not know the play calls and full responsibilities"

The problem there Hap, IMO is that the people that think the rookie Ford is bad, now have fuel added to their fire. 

I started out with a statement Enjoy the Win  ...  Is that too much to ask for???  

reading that Miller said Cody should feel good about the way he played today. To me says a lot 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

The problem there Hap, IMO is that the people that think the rookie Ford is bad, now have fuel added to their fire. 

I started out with a statement Enjoy the Win  ...  Is that too much to ask for???  

Yeah, but is it really significant additional fuel?  Knee-jerk haters seem able to fuel themselves off of air, basically.

It is a point that Joe's job is not to enjoy the win, but to write about it, and since hearts and flowers are kind of boring to read about and not what Athletic readers subscribe for, he has to dig into it.  The Athletic's selling point is in-depth analysis for fairly serious sports fans, ones who want more than just "we won, yea!" on their teams.

I love it because it's helping to spur other publications  to also add depth and detail to their coverage so we get guys like Kubiak writing for TBN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, but is it really significant additional fuel?

It is a point that Joe's job is not to enjoy the win, but to write about it, and since hearts and flowers are kind of boring to read about and not what Athletic readers subscribe for, he has to dig into it.

I get controversy gets clicks ...  controversy also gets ridicule

(I should know  ;)

Against the Denver Defense I'd say that 1 sack and over 244 yards rushing was pretty darn good. 

17 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I've been reading Bills beat reporters stuff for 40 years and post the SB era they all became cantankerous tools

That's a very broad brush

1) there seems to have been a substantial changing of the guard in Bills beat reporters the last few years - Marcel Louis-Jacques, Jim Kubiak, Eric Turner, Ty Dunne when he was here etc

2) even the older guard like Vic Carruci, Tim Graham and Joe B seem to be writing in a different style to a different editorial direction, some at new publications.

Look at it this way: I would think you'd object if someone tags the current Bills coaches and FO with the sins of the previous 17 years.  They weren't here, so why hold them responsible?

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I get controversy gets clicks ...  controversy also gets ridicule

(I should know  ;)

Against the Denver Defense I'd say that 1 sack and over 244 yards rushing was pretty darn good.

Joe gives Ford his propers on run blocking, he just points out that he got a lot of help vs the pass.

We're starting to loop here so I'm out

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, cage said:

Amen brother!  People jump on JoeB's analysis regularly, but the reality is that it's the most comprehensive data that we have available to us.  Most everyone else's opinion is a 4th beer fly by from during the game and watching the select highlights.  I really doubt he has any favorites, but is just trying to give an objective grade to each player.  I'm not sure if he does this all himself or if there's anyone else working w/ him, who may have more football coaching experience?  However, I think its valuable input to the various discussions that happen on this board related to this or that player sucks, should be cut or should be immediately re-signed/extended

Cover 1 begs to differ

3 hours ago, cage said:

Fair enough and you're right.  Here is the disclaimer that he puts in each article as he dives into the grades.  He doesn't appear to be doing it by himself.  He probably should state who else is part of the grading.  I've bolded statements that acknowledge the potential shortcomings of the work.  However, I'll stand by that this has to be a more objective review of each player than people who just watched the TV broadcast (even re-watched it) and could only observe select highlights.

How the standards work

Every Tuesday, when the All-22 film becomes available, we’ll go through and watch every player on every play as many times as necessary to assess letter grades. It is a subjective analysis, and it’s important to note we do not know the play calls and full responsibilities. The grades stem from technique, effort and presumed liability.

The study accounts only for players who take a snap on offense or defense. Players with fewer than 15 snaps — unless they have a significant impact on the game — will not factor into weekly rankings.

Season-long grades will be tallied and documented, with a single game’s grade weighted based on how much the player was on the field in a given week.

So can someone tell me how an All 22 comes out on Tuesday and this has happened for roughly 40-45 players and He has it out less than 24 hours later?

I for example to grade an OL on one specific play it will take at least 3-4 reviews of that play.  Need to watch the entire offense to see what the play is, then the QB to see how Protection is set, then the OL to see what the blocking scheme is, Then Finally can get the look at the player...  (of course that only matters if you are truly breaking the film and the play down.

2 hours ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I think Joe's right.  Ford has a long way to go.  I'm glad he had help on Miller.  If left alone, it probably would have been a disaster.  This is the NFL.  It's constant critiquing. 

He was left alone 10 plays and gave up Zero Sacks.  1 Pressure.

Edited by MAJBobby

It’s all all-22 film review that Joe does every week. He’s just reporting what he sees on the tape, good or bad.

Personally, I enjoy his weekly game reviews and don’t really ever get the sense that he’s being negative for the sake of being negative (like Jerry, Bucky, Sal etc).

In fact, there’s been numerous times where he will report that a player everyone else was being negative about actually had a good game, or that a loss wasn’t as bad as it first looked. 

For a second consecutive week, the Buffalo Bills put together a complete effort during a win. Their eighth win of the season, this time a 20-3 result against the Denver Broncos, featured the youth of the organization in a prominent role.

The Bills claimed the victory and put themselves one step closer to securing a second playoff appearance in three seasons. Before the Bills begin their toughest stretch of the schedule, first is a look back at what we learned from their win over the Broncos.

Each week using the coaches’ film, The Athletic will grade every individual Bills player based on how they performed. You can find the full explanation for the grades at the end.

The Bills saw several standouts on both sides of the ball, including more progress from their young quarterback. To go along with the grades, here are some of the top takeaways from the film.

This is a description of the article. It’s not a negative article by any means. 

And a paragraph on Josh Allen -

Allen clearly is showing an introspective side, an element to his personality that has the Bills excited about how high he can climb. He’s also showing the signs of thinking through the play even during the high-pressure seconds within the pocket. Even on Allen’s interception that he appeared to airmail upon the initial viewing, it was a calculated decision. Allen thought he spotted no help to the safety over the top and lofted the pass to John Brown, expecting him to run a deep post. Allen didn’t see the safety, which he said disguised himself in the coverage, yet Brown did. As a result, Brown flattened the route into a crosser, which made the throw appear like a complete misfire. Allen will need to correct himself in looking for the backside safety on those looks, especially with that now on tape. However, with how often he’s learned from mistakes this season, you shouldn’t put it past him.

In addition to thinking through the game more effectively, Allen has also gradually quickened his processing. Over the last four games, Allen has improved upon what had been a flaw early in the season: making a decision quicker.

(chart on release times)

He’ll have to do so more consistently, though reducing his time to decision by .34 seconds is a lifetime in terms of how long a defense has to get to him. It also reduces the time and pressure that the offensive line faces in blocking for its quarterback. Allen continues to make strides in almost every area of his game, which sets up for a promising end to his season and higher expectations for his third year in 2020.

Edited by BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So can someone tell me how an All 22 comes out on Tuesday and this has happened for roughly 40-45 players and He has it out less than 24 hours later?

I for example to grade an OL on one specific play it will take at least 3-4 reviews of that play.  Need to watch the entire offense to see what the play is, then the QB to see how Protection is set, then the OL to see what the blocking scheme is, Then Finally can get the look at the player...  (of course that only matters if you are truly breaking the film and the play down.

He was left alone 10 plays and gave up Zero Sacks.  1 Pressure.

Ok and he had 20 passing snaps where he had help.   All it takes is getting beat 1 or 2 times and it can change a game.  How long did Josh hold the ball on those other 9 snaps?  Was Miller rushing the passer on all those snaps? Ford is a average to below average RT right now.  I'm glad he held his own in limited responsibility but that doesn't change that much.

1 minute ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Ok and he had 20 passing snaps where he had help.   All it takes is getting beat 1 or 2 times and it can change a game.  How long did Josh hold the ball on those other 9 snaps?  Was Miller rushing the passer on all those snaps? Ford is a average to below average RT right now.  I'm glad he held his own in limited responsibility but that doesn't change that much.

Ford faced Miller 10 times 1v1 and surrendered 1 Pressure.

Dawkins faced him 1v1 11 times and surrendered 1 pressure and 1 sack.

OOO No he had help as a rookie against an ALL PRO.  Yeah still did his job in those 20 2v1 as well.  

Love how we add hypothetical into an game that never happened.  Guess what he didnt get beat 1 or 2 times so what it the point of even saying that.  

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Ford faced Miller 10 times 1v1 and surrendered 1 Pressure.

Dawkins faced him 1v1 11 times and surrendered 1 pressure and 1 sack.

OOO No he had help as a rookie against an ALL PRO.  Yeah still did his job in those 20 2v1 as well.  

Ok great.  Is he better then Dawkins?  No, he absolutely is not. That's why we don't base how good a player is off 1 game.  

Just now, soflabillsfan1 said:

Ok great.  Is he better then Dawkins?  No, he absolutely is not. That's why we don't base how good a player is off 1 game.  

Did I say he was???

Let me guess you wanted to run Dawkins out of town last year too right?  Maybe make him an OG right?

Edited by MAJBobby

No, but using your reasoning he would be.  

Nope just showing 1v1 he played as well as our LT.

You take that how you want.

I am sure you are on of the ones that wanted Glenn kicked into OG, Wanted Dawkins kicked into OG or off the team last year as well.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Nope just showing 1v1 he played as well as our LT.

You take that how you want.

I am sure you are on of the ones that wanted Glenn kicked into OG, Wanted Dawkins kicked into OG or off the team last year as well.  

Now you're making stupid assumptions.  I never said any of that.  I do think Ford is a Guard and not a tackle though.  Dawkins is a superior player to Ford.  Because Dawkins gave up a sack to Miller and Ford didn't, in 1 game, is almost meaningless. Please realize that.

• Like (+1) 1

Now you're making stupid assumptions.  I never said any of that.  I do think Ford is a Guard and not a tackle though.  Dawkins is a superior player to Ford.  Because Dawkins gave up a sack to Miller and Ford didn't, in 1 game, is almost meaningless. Please realize that.

Again just showing you in this ONE game because that is what Matters in this discussion the grading of THIS game.

Ford did EXACTLY the same as Dawkins 1V1 against Miller, please realize that.

And I also know the QB has more of an impact on the OL than the OL themselves in pass pro

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Again just showing you in this ONE game because that is what Matters in this discussion the grading of THIS game.

Ford did EXACTLY the same as Dawkins 1V1 against Miller, please realize that.

In one game.  No one cares about one game. It's over.  It's about a season of work.