Shaq over Murphy, Right?

Dkollidas

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree on all counts. The draft is LOADED at WR. You’ll get a great player there.

I just don’t think Clowney leaves Seattle. I think we will chase him. I’m advocating Shaq AND an elite pass rusher. They have plenty of money and still have years before paying Allen. 

I’d sign Clowney, Shaq, Spain, extend Tre, extend Poyer, extend Milano, cut Murphy, cut Kroft, draft WR I think that team will be really good. They can do all of those things IMO. 

I like Spain, but do they leave Ford at RT or decide OG is his position going forward?  Feliciano only signed for two years and that dude, to me, is the soul of the O-line.  And he can play well at two positions.  I'd rather extend him over Spain.

Neither Trent or Shaq are on this team in 2020 folks...they are moving on for different reasons.. Trent has been disappointing and Shaq previously got the 5th year brush off..

I think Beane buys a big name DE in March  and they also draft a DE early as well to fill the gaps of Shaq and Murphy..

I also think an offer of around $18M for 3 years is made to Spain and I  hope he takes it..

They should probably keep Long in 2020 as he is solid OL depth, and whilst not bargain basement, they have bigger needs to fill..

Finally, re- sign J Phillips $38M for 4 years..half guaranteed...

Folks... the SB window is open for business in 2020 so let’s not be shy..

13 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I haven’t noticed Murphy doing good or bad things all season. Just seems to be a contributing player (although not living up to his contract). 
 Has Murphy really been as bad as some people mention on here? 

I will caveat that with the fact Shaq has performed better than Murphy all year

He has been atrocious in the run game. He gives up edges faster than a Christian gives up chocolate at lent. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And as for "the top teams," that do end up "signing the big name FA 'weapons'" for rushing the passer? How many of the teams that are consistently competitive (which is our FO's stated goal)  have done that? The Pats? Ravens? Steelers? Pack? Saints? Seahawks? How many have gotten their best pass rushers by paying out the nose for him in FA? Any of them?

Not the Seahawks. They traded for Clowney and got him for cheap for one year. They might then re-sign him, if he fits, but they didn't give him the huge contract without having had him on the roster.

The Packers did that this year with the two Smiths. They both account more than €15m cap hits every year after this year. I take the point that is not usually the way the top teams do it. But I would argue the Bills paying a top pass rusher in FA is more like Belichick paying Gilmore in FA. The Pats already had a good defense. What they lacked was a true #1 matchup and lockdown corner guy. They tried developing Butler into that but he wasn't quite there. They could take keeping draft shots and hope one developed or they could find that final piece right there available for them in FA. That is basically where I see the Bills at defensive end. 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Murphy has been OK, but was signed with the hopes that he'd get maybe 7 or 8 sacks a year. He hasn't lived up to that. He's been decent, but he's not really living up to his contract.

I just cannot agree with this. I don't see anything when I watch the game back each week that supports Murphy being decent. He is one of the worst edge setters I have ever seen in a defense that depends and is predicated on lane discipline. 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Star has done well, he's been a good pickup, consistently doing what he was signed for, eating double-teams and creating lanes for the LBs to run to the ball.

Murphy has been OK, but was signed with the hopes that he'd get maybe 7 or 8 sacks a year. He hasn't lived up to that. He's been decent, but he's not really living up to his contract.

All accept that review,  i am just saying that for their combined money we're better off signing a stud play maker.  If you watch close Murhpy is a brutal run defender and sack production is below expectations.  

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

I like Spain, but do they leave Ford at RT or decide OG is his position going forward?  Feliciano only signed for two years and that dude, to me, is the soul of the O-line.  And he can play well at two positions.  I'd rather extend him over Spain.

Just from what I can tell Spain seems to be holding his own esp in the run game.  I always see his number out there putting full effort and he's outstanding getting out and blocking in space.  I guess that's his strength.  I don't observe him enough on passing plays to give any kind of educated evaluation but the whole line seems to be giving Josh some clean pockets most of the time now.  You can really tell they're coming together down the stretch here. 

I totally agree with you on Feliciano.  I was skeptical of his signing but he's turned out to be pretty awesome.  I'm with you on the soul of the line area too.  I think his attitude has reset the tone of everyone on the line and the others are feeding off of that.  That is really fantastic to have.  Cody's weaknesses not withstanding, his attitude is extremely helpful too.  Seems like he's improving as the season goes on but he's had that tough, nasty streak since day one. 

As to the OP, Murphy is probably as good as gone with Shaq playing like he is now.  That's assuming he doesn't get big $$ and sign elsewhere.  Would be a shame.  I'm of the opinion that this being a contract year was probably the initial motivation, but I don't think he slows down after this season no matter where he is.  The guy is playing like he knows he'll be a bust if he doesn't kick up into high gear and produce.  He's finding his game now and that's not going to go away soon.  Too much pride in these guys.  Regardless it's clear to all of us that Trent is not living up the his contract.  We know Beane will cut bait with guys like that and take the hit and move on quickly.

One last note:  it is a real pleasure to have so few guys to talk about like this with all the crazy depth at so many positions right now.  I cannot recall a time like this in the last 20 years at least.  Maybe not the best personnel in the entire league, but some damn good quality at most positions with really good backups.  Nice to have finally.

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Neither Trent or Shaq are on this team in 2020 folks...they are moving on for different reasons.. Trent has been disappointing and Shaq previously got the 5th year brush off..

I think Beane buys a big name DE in March  and they also draft a DE early as well to fill the gaps of Shaq and Murphy..

I also think an offer of around $18M for 3 years is made to Spain and I  hope he takes it..

They should probably keep Long in 2020 as he is solid OL depth, and whilst not bargain basement, they have bigger needs to fill..

Good post.  Hope you're right.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, matter2003 said:

It gets old seeing people complaining about Star when the dude has done exactly what he has been asked to do on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Suffice to say they are happy with what he has done and they actually know what he is supposed to be doing.

They are so happy with what he has done, he has been getting less and less snaps every game this season. Give me a break. He was getting phased out by Harry, he got hurt. Then he started getting more snaps and now he is getting phased out by J. Phillips.

The dude is a entirely useless. His name could not be more inappropriate and unfitting. 

Edited by Elite Poster

7 hours ago, Distorted One said:

Just from what I can tell Spain seems to be holding his own esp in the run game.  I always see his number out there putting full effort and he's outstanding getting out and blocking in space.  I guess that's his strength.  I don't observe him enough on passing plays to give any kind of educated evaluation but the whole line seems to be giving Josh some clean pockets most of the time now.  You can really tell they're coming together down the stretch here. 

I totally agree with you on Feliciano.  I was skeptical of his signing but he's turned out to be pretty awesome.  I'm with you on the soul of the line area too.  I think his attitude has reset the tone of everyone on the line and the others are feeding off of that.  That is really fantastic to have.  Cody's weaknesses not withstanding, his attitude is extremely helpful too.  Seems like he's improving as the season goes on but he's had that tough, nasty streak since day one. 

As to the OP, Murphy is probably as good as gone with Shaq playing like he is now.  That's assuming he doesn't get big $$ and sign elsewhere.  Would be a shame.  I'm of the opinion that this being a contract year was probably the initial motivation, but I don't think he slows down after this season no matter where he is.  The guy is playing like he knows he'll be a bust if he doesn't kick up into high gear and produce.  He's finding his game now and that's not going to go away soon.  Too much pride in these guys.  Regardless it's clear to all of us that Trent is not living up the his contract.  We know Beane will cut bait with guys like that and take the hit and move on quickly.

One last note:  it is a real pleasure to have so few guys to talk about like this with all the crazy depth at so many positions right now.  I cannot recall a time like this in the last 20 years at least.  Maybe not the best personnel in the entire league, but some damn good quality at most positions with really good backups.  Nice to have finally.

Shaq was playing pretty well last season too. This year he's gotten even better.  I would love him to stick around and Murphy can go.  I barely notice him most games.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Murphy is one of worst signing in Beane era next to Star who combined rake in about 20million,  gas them both and use money on Shaq and another free agent.  Those two get destroyed on running plays

Leave Star alone.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, Dkollidas said:

Especially after this season, the way both have played, I assume they’ll try to re-sign Shaq, as long as he wants to be here, and cut ties with Murphy.

Shaq will basically take Murphy’s salary position on the team. 

Draft a DE in the 1st or 2nd round, and sign a lower priced UFA (Vic Beasley?).

Hughes/Draft-Pick

Lawson/UFA

seems like a much better way to have the defensive ends going forward. 

Agree Shaw is playing lights out Murphy I hardly notice much

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Agree Shaw is playing lights out Murphy I hardly notice much

Yeah, he didn't do anything at all today -- oh wait!

(but, yes, I would not bring Murphy back either, and Shaq has been a beast the last few weeks and seems to fit perfectly into their system)

On 11/27/2019 at 5:27 PM, Sundancer said:

Same with Star, though he's probably around for 2 years given his contract. 

Well, we still save money cutting Star, even if it's just $2M, it's still money in our pocket. If we cut Hughes, we'd end up spending more to cut him than to keep him and pay him.

That all said, after the last couple weeks (especially yesterday), and if they keep playing like they have been, both will be around next year and rightfully so.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, Aussie Joe said:

I agree with everything you say. We will draft a de early to eventually replace Jerry and sign a high end fa to replace Trent. The odds of keeping Shaq here are slim.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Thank you (+1) 1