Finally no PI overturned for Saints

Steve O

Unfortunately for the Saints, call went against them. Think the refs were trying to make a statement with this overturn. It was pass interference, but far worse violations have gone without an overturn. Cliche's got to be cliche's for a reason, most of them are true...Careful what you ask for Sean, you might get it.

Sorry if this has already been posted, searched 3 times and couldn't find it.

Edited by Steve O
grammatical error

4 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Unfortunately for the Saints, call went against them. Think the refs were trying to make a statement with this overturn. It was pass interference, but far worse violations have gone without an overturn. Cliche's got to be cliche's for a reason, most of them are true...Careful what you ask for Sean, you might get it.

None of this stuff is coming from the refs. It’s coming from the NFL and New York. They didn’t want this rule used except in a playoff game. This overturn may have been a little backlash to Payton. It was the right call, in a critical 2 minute situation at the end of the game. We’ve all seen other calls not overturned, and that was directly coming from the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, Steve O said:

And their statement was...........***** you Sean Payton?   :blink:

As easily predicted during the off season, this has become yet another officiating mess for the NFL in their never ending quest to dig themselves into a deeper hole.

• Like (+1) 2

I am in favor of using reviews to get the call right.  In fact, I would support making everything reviewable with a coaches challenge, as long as the coaches are limited to 2 or 3 challenges per game.  I don't really like the automatic reviews for TD's and turnovers, as the judicious use of challenges should be part of the coach's decision-making process.

I can't stand the calls still being wrong after video review.  This is what is driving people crazy.  Everyone understood that the purpose of video replay was to get the important game-changing calls right.  Instead, Riveron is using this as a forum to demonstrate to his officials that he has their back, no matter what.  The PI reviews this season are a joke and coaches have stopped challenging, because the standard for overturn is different than every other challenge.

Riveron has become the second most hated member of the NFL Corporate Structure (behind Goodell) and I look forward to him moving on from this role.

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is very, very petty about this. It was obviously payback toward Payton, and Riveron should be ashamed of his pettiness. He is a fool as far as I can tell. 

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

And their statement was...........***** you Sean Payton?   :blink:

As easily predicted during the off season, this has become yet another officiating mess for the NFL in their never ending quest to dig themselves into a deeper hole.

It's partly because they empower fools like Riveron. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I am in favor of using reviews to get the call right.  In fact, I would support making everything reviewable with a coaches challenge, as long as the coaches are limited to 2 or 3 challenges per game.  I don't really like the automatic reviews for TD's and turnovers, as the judicious use of challenges should be part of the coach's decision-making process.

I can't stand the calls still being wrong after video review.  This is what is driving people crazy.  Everyone understood that the purpose of video replay was to get the important game-changing calls right.  Instead, Riveron is using this as a forum to demonstrate to his officials that he has their back, no matter what.  The PI reviews this season are a joke and coaches have stopped challenging, because the standard for overturn is different than every other challenge.

Riveron has become the second most hated member of the NFL Corporate Structure (behind Goodell) and I look forward to him moving on from this role.

doesn't work that way

if you are convinced your team is getting screwed over, then NOTHING will help in this matter

(and every fanbase is convinced they are screwed over the worst....)

Yes, it was pass interference, but the failure of the league to overturn bad calls and no-calls on the pass interference issue all season long calls the integrity of the league into question. Why this one, and not the dozens of other bad calls that were left to stand.  Fortunately, the Saints won this game anyway.  I'm not particularly a Sean Payton fan, but he's been screwed over a lot on officiating.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Yes, it was pass interference, but the failure of the league to overturn bad calls and no-calls on the pass interference issue all season long calls the integrity of the league into question. Why this one, and not the dozens of other bad calls that were left to stand.  Fortunately, the Saints won this game anyway.  I'm not particularly a Sean Payton fan, but he's been screwed over a lot on officiating.

He’s also been about the most outspoken against the league office of any coach I recall. The saints vs the nfl narrative has been an interesting story

Local writer did an interesting piece on the saints and penalties that was a bit eye opening...calls in their favor vs against. Could be discipline, could be a little ill will. 

hands to the face - called 7 times on the (most in league) and 0 on opponents 

defensive holding - 9 on them (2nd in league), and only 1 on opponents 

DPI - 6 against them (10th) opponents 2 (28th)

Offensive holding- 22 (1st) vs 8 (fewest)

their +33 ratio is more than 2nd and 3rd combined. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Local writer did an interesting piece on the saints and penalties that was a bit eye opening...calls in their favor vs against. Could be discipline, could be a little ill will. 

Interesting stats. Not a big believer in coincidence, thinking ill will. 

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

thanks

how about tripping?

32 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Interesting stats. Not a big believer in coincidence, thinking ill will. 

the flip side is it could be a coaching/discipline issue on them committing penalties but it’s pretty darn skewed towards opponents never committing them too.

paired with the overturned PI going against them... fans have some feelings going.

Edited by NoSaint

8 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I think that went out in the 70s.   :unsure:

you didn't miss all that tripping on Sunday, i hope...  :(

the Saints and their Bounty Fun f. Gregg Williams may play a part in this...