Men Who Wear Vests

Jauronimo

Why?  Defend yourselves.  What situation have you encountered where your core was somehow cold and your extremities too hot in a normal coat?  

Fact: 50% of when who wear vests are wannabe midtown finance douche bros who take their fashion cues from fictional tech nerds and the other 50% think Cabela's is formal wear.

• Haha (+1) 3

I occasionally wear a vest because sometimes my back feels cold but the rest of my body feels fine. I’m talking about a lightweight sweater or fleece vest, not a heavy winter vest.  It’s a fairly recent phenomenon. I get accused of dressing like an old man when I wear it. If the shoe fits....

I don't understand the utility of a puffy winter vest. 

The style that I can never understand is women who wear turtle neck shirts that are short sleeved (or sleeveless).  But once you enter into the realm of confusing female fashion choices, you’re on a slippery slope. 

I’m also a little confused by short sleeve shirts that are made of heavyweight material.

Edited by Gray Beard

Every day I see junior bankers, normally travelling in packs of 5 or more, dressed exactly the same. Blue dress pants, tan loafers, white dress shirt, fleece vest.  You can tell the first year kids from the second year kids because the more senior ones spring for Patagonia.  Zero individuality.

This sums it up  https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a22089261/midtown-uniform-vest-business-style/

Now I'm seeing them everywhere and not just among finance bros.  This is the male equivalent of Uggs and a pumpkin spiced latte.

I used to wear either a sport coat or a lightweight vest to work, mainly so I'd have pockets for my phone and wallet. (I'd rather not have them in my pants pockets.)

Now that I work from home, I wear them occasionally when we go out.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Old Navy is largely responsible for this silliness.  Vests are like those visor hats.  Go back to the damn store and get the rest of your coat!  lmao

The visor hat serves a practical purpose at least. You don't want to wear a hat on top of your eyes, but you want something to shade the sun from your eyes.  

51 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Why?  Defend yourselves.  What situation have you encountered where your core was somehow cold and your extremities too hot in a normal coat?  

I moved to San Francisco.  I never wore a vest in my life before that happened, but they do actually make sense here given the climate.

I see the fleece vests all around when I visit HQ. 

It's a dorky old man look that I will never get behind.

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I moved to San Francisco.  I never wore a vest in my life before that happened, but they do actually make sense here given the climate.

What unique part of SF's typical maritime climate makes fleece vests sensible?

Ouch,

• I work in midtown,
  • I work in finance, 
  • I have 7-8 fleece/nylon vests
  • As soon as the weather turns cold, I wear them
  • I'm well over 50 (almost 60)
  • I love the extra pockets
  • I don't travel in packs of 2 or more
  • Sorry for offending you
  • Your opinion does not affect me

Edited by Guffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

You wanna talk about useless items of clothing? Let's talk neckties.

They started out as essentially a bib to protect your shirt when eating messy foods like spaghetti. But it turned into just something you have to wear to show that you're formal, or something. I never  got it either.