Would you rather? (A super hypothetical)

whatdrought

Would you Rather:  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worse:

• Losing one score AFC Championship (not to Pats.)
    • Getting Blown out and Embarrassed in SB

This likely won't be an issue this year, but in general: would you rather lose a close AFC Championship on a last second FG to a team that isn't the Patriots, or win said game and get blown out/embarrassed in the SB ala Seahawks-Broncos, Broncos-Panthers, Falcons-Pats (not a blow out, but def. embarrassing) Bills-Cowboys.

Which is preferable, and why?

This is purely a thought exercise based on a random thought I had today. Not saying either is likely or desirable. 

Edited by whatdrought

People have asked me over the last 20 years what I would do if the Bills got to and lost a 5th Superbowl.  I've always said SIGN ME UP.  After surviving the drought I could deal with it.  The sting of a close loss with the SB on the line would hurt a lot more than 0-5 jokes.  Plus I could pick up some new AFC champs swag.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

People have asked me over the last 20 years what I would do if the Bills got to and lost a 5th Superbowl.  I've always said SIGN ME UP.  After surviving the drought I could deal with it.  The sting of a close loss with the SB on the line would hurt a lot more than 0-5 jokes.  Plus I could pick up some new AFC champs sawg.

Re-thinking my answer after reading your post. 

I'm with you!

2 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

People have asked me over the last 20 years what I would do if the Bills got to and lost a 5th Superbowl.  I've always said SIGN ME UP.  After surviving the drought I could deal with it.  The sting of a close loss with the SB on the line would hurt a lot more than 0-5 jokes.  Plus I could pick up some new AFC champs sawg.

I guess I just wonder which of the two springboards into the next season better? After getting blown out in the SB it's like, what now? What did we do wrong?... I honestly don't know what I prefer. 

4 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I’m with you here. Losing close games rips me apart emotionally. I always think “what if ....” When you get beat like the Rams did last night you just kind of go “welp.” Plus it would be a blast leading up to the Super Bowl just like it was in Jax. The anticipation and party was unreal.

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I guess I just wonder which of the two springboards into the next season better? After getting blown out in the SB it's like, what now? What did we do wrong?... I honestly don't know what I prefer. 

I am old enough that I remember all four Superbowl losses, I was in highschool and it sucked.  But Superbowl week is such a special thing to be a part of.  The Media is all about you, the local send off, the excitement.  I want to be a part of that again.  Now the 88 AFC championship game loss to Cincinnati?  It left me feeling so empty.  Like we missed out on the national party that is SB week.....Cool topic btw.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 2

Give me a SB lose any time.  Who remembers who lost the AFC championship?  Plus, as other posters have pointed out, its a pretty fun week.  And I think, because of the Bills history, many folks would be pulling for them much like they did for Denver when they went to their 5th SB.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

i watched the Bills get blown out and embarrassed in a SB 3 times, that wasn't much fun

it was even worse than the first one where they should have won by 21 points but were totally outcoached and out-hustled and out-desired the whole game

Edited by row_33

48 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

People have asked me over the last 20 years what I would do if the Bills got to and lost a 5th Superbowl.  I've always said SIGN ME UP.  After surviving the drought I could deal with it.  The sting of a close loss with the SB on the line would hurt a lot more than 0-5 jokes.  Plus I could pick up some new AFC champs swag.

Bingo. I could deal with it too, if for no other reason than to say we are replacing NE’s run of AFC championships—and it would be fun to daydream for 2 weeks thereafter on this board! ;)

7 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

A Super Bowl blowout is pretty demoralizing to a team. I think a close afc championship loss is a much better fate. Keeps the team hungry and angry 

for the 3rd and 4th SB time leading up to the bad losses, the media rolled its collective eyes, knowing the Bills had no prayer

not sure if this went on for the usual two weeks or if they were a one-week situation back then

it was very anti-climatic

SB loss easily with a QB this young that has time to correct it. 

Let him, all players and staff learn how big a media spotlight moment it is. SB games in their own are a learning curve with all the distractions that come with them for a team. 

Edited by Real McCoy