Joshua Patrick Allen, aka Mr 3rd down

Logic

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He got hit immediately after that TD throw to Beas.  Told the defender who hit him "That went for a TD, you know"

Yeah, when I saw the play on replay, I thought it could have drew a flag. The defender hit after ball was out and then proceeded to drive Allen into ground with his full body weight on top of him. Allen is a big boy though and shook it right off. The defender was starring him down after too, and Allen had that look like, Bro! that just went for 6,  HAHA to late!!! ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

I had this moment against the Skins on our final, game sealing drive. They held us to like a 4th and 5, but they accepted a hold call making it like 3rd and 18 to try and take us out of field goal range. Josh dialed up a beautiful pass to Smoke on the sideline. Punished them for making that choice, then we got 6.

for me it was a 2 game stretch between a couple longer ones in the giants game and then, in person, real early in the home opener as he rolled to his right and delivered a laser down the sideline to convert a 3rd and 15 if I recall correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

I had this moment against the Skins on our final, game sealing drive. They held us to like a 4th and 5, but they accepted a hold call making it like 3rd and 18 to try and take us out of field goal range. Josh dialed up a beautiful pass to Smoke on the sideline. Punished them for making that choice, then we got 6.

It was crazy... I mean for my entire adult life, anything above 3rd and 7 was almost an automatic punt. And now all of a sudden, 3rd and 13 isn't really a big deal. 

I literally said, out loud, "We got our QB" after he put one on a rope to Beasley to convert it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

It was crazy... I mean for my entire adult life, anything above 3rd and 7 was almost an automatic punt. And now all of a sudden, 3rd and 13 isn't really a big deal

I literally said, out loud, "We got our QB" after he put one on a rope to Beasley to convert it.

same. i'm 34 so this is all new to me as an invested fan. My best buddy is a "stillers" fan and always chuckled at how excited I always got in previous years over a 3rd and long conversion. that whole fan base has been spoiled for 15 years now and I always told him to brace for when ben is gone because he'll be in the same boat...... he finally admitted this year how lucky he's had it after watching the garbage they've put on the field at qb this year.

48 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think we're still on the lower end of playmakers on this offense.. Knox is coming along, Brown is a stud, Beasley gets the job done, and then guys like Foster and McKenzie are nice role players, but add in a another high 2/1b receiver and I think things really take off for him. 

This is where I am also, I really want to see a big fast WR brought in during the off season as well as a big RB to compliment Singletary. That along with Allens continued development an I believe sky's the limit

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chris from Rochester said:

This is where I am also, I really want to see a big fast WR brought in during the off season as well as a big RB to compliment Singletary. That along with Allens continued development an I believe sky's the limit

One guy I've been thinking about lately is Chase Claypool from Notre Dame. I saw someone say he had a bit of Mike Evans to his game, but who knows if that's legit. I also wouldn't hate trading a first rounder for Mike Evans... 

One guy I've been thinking about lately is Chase Claypool from Notre Dame. I saw someone say he had a bit of Mike Evans to his game, but who knows if that's legit. I also wouldn't hate trading a first rounder for Mike Evans... 

I don't watch enough college football to give an educated opinion, but if he is like Mike Evans sign me up!

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was starting to get a little concerned with Allen after the Browns game.  It looks like the light bulb is starting to come on now.

I'm starting to feel like this.

Related image

As much as I hated watching the Pats and Browns game, they both appear to have been crucial to his development as a quarterback. It was after the Browns game that he started figuring out how to beat Cover Zero pressures and that the offense finally got a kick in the ass and upped their points output a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He got hit immediately after that TD throw to Beas.  Told the defender who hit him "That went for a TD, you know"

That hit could've/should've drawn a roughing the passer penalty and, on top of that, the defender looked like he taunted Josh afterward. But we got the last laugh, so I didn't care too much.

6 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That hit could've/should've drawn a roughing the passer penalty and, on top of that, the defender looked like he taunted Josh afterward. But we got the last laugh, so I didn't care too much.

I'm not sure about the roughing?  He gets two steps.  He pretty much had his hands on Josh just as he threw, Singletary blocked him just long enough to give Josh time.

But then what I love is Singletary came over and gave the guy a shove, pushed him off Josh and helped Josh up while facing him down.

That's a 6'2" 250 lb linebacker.  Singletary is listed at 5'7" 203 lbs in his draft profile.

Seems Singletary has a bit of a Honey Badger gene

• Like (+1) 2

Wait so these numbers are before considering 3rd & long conversions on rushes? Because he’s definitely had some of those too. Anyone know where he ranks on 3rd down in general?

When you see stats like this it really makes you wonder why this offense hasn’t scored more points.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure about the roughing?  He gets two steps.  He pretty much had his hands on Josh just as he threw, Singletary blocked him just long enough to give Josh time.

I know the hit was unavoidable, but he seemed to drive Josh into the ground. Using the TB12 standard, that's egregious RtP.