Joshua Patrick Allen, aka Mr 3rd down

Logic

Just now, Hebert19 said:

That's crazy.  Between his desire to throw it past the sticks or run it he does pick up a huge number of 3rd and longs. 

For the past 20 years, 3rd and 8+ for the Bills basically felt like an automatic punt.

Ever since Allen came to town -- not so much.

They say a quarterback makes his money on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter. If that be the case, Allen has a bright future.

• Like (+1) 31
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

For the past 20 years, 3rd and 8+ for the Bills basically felt like an automatic punt.

They say a quarterback makes his money on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter. If that be the case, Allen has a bright future.

another reason he reminds me so much of a young big ben.... living on the outskirts of stiller country I've seen a ton of that guy and for years fans of that team were more confident in 3rd and long situations than there were on a typical 3rd and 3. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Dkollidas said:

I think what happens is a lot of defenses play a shallow zone, and they try to beat that zone by about 5yds or so. When they have 3rd-8 I feel like they usually hit a 12-15yd strike 

Good eye. Most defenders play for the sticks on 3rd and long.  Allen throws past it.

• Like (+1) 2

Ya just gotta like that, ?

Go Bills!!!

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

If that's where they make their money, he has a very rich future as well.

The exact OPPOSITE of Captain Checkdown.

He doesn't take what the defense gives him. There was a play where it was 3rd & long and we actually didn't convert it, but you could see Tyler Kroft wide open in the flat and Josh Allen look'd right at em and then immediately went to his third read which was Isaiah McKenzie who was deep down the field.

21 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

That's crazy.  Between his desire to throw it past the sticks or run it he does pick up a huge number of 3rd and longs. 

That's to me one of the biggest and most tangible improvements to our Bills team this year.

In previous years I felt as though if we were in 3rd and long we could bend over and kiss it goodbye.  Now it's like "OK, how will they make this go?"

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I made this comment after the last game and went back and looked at the stats. Against the Broncos, he converted 3rd and 9, 10, 11, and 12 (one was the TD to Beasley too). 

He got hit immediately after that TD throw to Beas.  Told the defender who hit him "That went for a TD, you know"

Apparently the reply was unprintable ?

6 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

The exact OPPOSITE of Captain Checkdown.

He doesn't take what the defense gives him. There was a play where it was 3rd & long and we actually didn't convert it, but you could see Tyler Kroft wide open in the flat and Josh Allen look'd right at em and then immediately went to his third read which was Isaiah McKenzie who was deep down the field.

TBH, he could sometimes stand to take the higher percentage throw and trust his guys with their feet, but he also hasn't really had guys he can trust that completely.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, he could sometimes stand to take the higher percentage throw and trust his guys with their feet, but he also hasn't really had guys he can trust that completely.

I think we're still on the lower end of playmakers on this offense.. Knox is coming along, Brown is a stud, Beasley gets the job done, and then guys like Foster and McKenzie are nice role players, but add in a another high 2/1b receiver and I think things really take off for him. 

• Like (+1) 4

There was a game early in the year.... may have been either Cincinnati or NYG, that we were in a third and long... like a 3rd and 15 or so. And I realized that for the first time in a LONG time, my initial reaction was, "OK, no problem. We'll pick this up." And sure enough, Josh picked it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

FFS...  why am I just now learning his initials are JP? 

"This kid JP, he's mobile and he's got a huge arm, but his accuracy could use a little work. Bills fans are just gonna love him!"

?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, CLTbills said:

There was a game early in the year.... may have been either Cincinnati or NYG, that we were in a third and long... like a 3rd and 15 or so. And I realized that for the first time in a LONG time, my initial reaction was, "OK, no problem. We'll pick this up." And sure enough, Josh picked it up. 

I had this moment against the Skins on our final, game sealing drive. They held us to like a 4th and 5, but they accepted a hold call making it like 3rd and 18 to try and take us out of field goal range. Josh dialed up a beautiful pass to Smoke on the sideline. Punished them for making that choice, then we got 6.

• Like (+1) 2