I CAN'T WAIT til the Ravens come to Buffalo

JerseyBills

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We need to keep running our up-tempo offense and similar play calling. If we slow down and run all the time we are toast against their defense.

I was going to say we need to run 8-9 in the box and we may on occasion but doing so frequently will compromise our defense. We still need to crowd the box and crush the pocket around Jackson but i think we should run a 7 man front instead of our usual 6 man front consisting of  4-2-5.

However instead of a 4-3, to which the LBs outside of Milano and Edmunds are so-so, we should run a 5-2-4. By putting an extra lineman on the line this will clog up their lanes more and put bigger and more importantly better players on the field and keep lineman off our LBs to flow freely to the ball and pass defend like they normally do.

Hard to say if this or what McDermott has in store will work but hopefully they come up with something to stop the Ravens because as it is right now it doesn't look good.

Copy the Chiefs and Browns game plan.  

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm saying it now, Lamar and Roman are going to struggle heavily with our back 7.  

Look, I'm not going to take anything away from Lamar right now but once their scheme is figured out, ala vs SD Wildcard weekend last year , I don't see him being able to recover from that and I'm certain our defensive personnel is their kryptonite. 

That's when you'll see Poyer/Hyde/Tre/Edmunds/Milano at their best, our back 7 is phenomenal and after we handle them at home , they'll be praying they don't cross our paths in the playoffs. We have the personnel to shut them down on a consistent basis. 

And like alot of Bills fans , I'm taking the Lamar love and Josh snub a little personal. I think we have the superior QB , I think when the 4th quarter hits and we wrecked Lamars running ability, he's going to FOLD like a lounge chair and I truly believe Allen is going to rise. I respect Baltimore heavily but I truly think Buffalo is their antedote. We are built to shut them down. And if the offense keeps progressing to the level I think it's capable of, sky is the limit.

SB or Bust, ya I said it!!!

It’s a Ferrari O against a Pinto!

Good to see ya coming North to buy the Best Bud! Don’t inhale too much from the bong, though!  

32 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

The Ravens lost twice.  Review the hell out of it and use it to Buffalo's advantage.  

beyond that   It's Cowboy Week. 

In those 2 losses, the Ravens ran for 203 and 173 yards.  They scored 28 and 25 points.  This was 2 months ago.  The D was the problem.  Now that D has allowed  16 against the Seahawks, 7 vs the Texans and 6 vs the Rams.

This is a scary team on both sides of the ball.  They are blowing out good teams.

• Like (+1) 1

It's not a gimmick offense (like the Wildcat or other clear gimmicks) but the NFL will catch up to Jackson and this scheme soon enough. Happens to every hot out of the box QB. Mahomes this year is well behind his per/game pace from last year. The league has managed to spend an offseason figuring out how to adjust to Mahomes. He's still great but he's being slowed down. It'll happen to Jackson for sure. And injuries will get him too. A QB can't run that much and take the beating forever. 

The interesting thing for the NFL is that many are clamoring for college style offenses, I think to adjust for the lack of NFL-ready QBs who have played in a pro style offense. However, the reality is, those spread and air raid offenses work in college predominantly based on one premise: exploit a significant talent gap either across the entire defense or in spots. That just doesn't exist in the NFL on a week in and week out basis. 

Jackson looks like a nice player.... right now. 

41 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

So was Kapernick and RG3. Matter of fact, that's why he's on the Ravens. No other team has dedicated their roster to this kind of scheme. Whether it produces a SB is yet to be seen. IMO, It's not sustainable, 2 years maybe.

You may be right 

However what he’s doing right now is far superior to what Kap and RG3 did. 
The offensive output. The MVP award

Shoot to me even the eye test. 

But it could quickly pass as soon as one defense figures out how to slow them down. 

Yesterday was one of the worst defensive game plans against an option type team I've ever seen. 

The were continuously playing man with no spy. Routinely in 5 techs as opposed to being wide. A ton of nickel. It was odd to me to watch.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Do what the Chargers did last year.  Put Milano and Edmunds and 5 DBs on the field.  They played7 DBs but Edmunds and  Milano are fast enough to sub in for that.

The Chargers has Derwin James literally shadow Jackson. To beat the Ravens you NEED good safety play. I think we match up well with them due to the athletic ability of our linebackers. What they do really well is use their tight ends to seal edges when the lead for Lamar on the option plays. 

To beat the Ravens, 1.) good safety play 2.) Contain the edge. 

51 minutes ago, nucci said:

He is a quarterback...did you watch last night....he's also a very good one

He is definitely better than I expected, but he is not a VERY good QB.. he is a run first throw second QB.  It will be very interesting how well they do once the NFL figures them out which they will. This style will fool a HC once but if he has the right personnel it won’t fool him a second time. 

24 minutes ago, zonabb said:

It's not a gimmick offense (like the Wildcat or other clear gimmicks) but the NFL will catch up to Jackson and this scheme soon enough. Happens to every hot out of the box QB. Mahomes this year is well behind his per/game pace from last year. The league has managed to spend an offseason figuring out how to adjust to Mahomes. He's still great but he's being slowed down. It'll happen to Jackson for sure. And injuries will get him too. A QB can't run that much and take the beating forever. 

The interesting thing for the NFL is that many are clamoring for college style offenses, I think to adjust for the lack of NFL-ready QBs who have played in a pro style offense. However, the reality is, those spread and air raid offenses work in college predominantly based on one premise: exploit a significant talent gap either across the entire defense or in spots. That just doesn't exist in the NFL on a week in and week out basis. 

Jackson looks like a nice player.... right now. 

Great post.

Baltimore is running an offensive scheme that perfectly matches the talents of its players.  That's not the same as being a gimmick offense.

Lamar Jackson isn't picking teams apart with his arm.  But his running ability is possibly the best the NFL has ever seen for a QB, and teams are forced to stack the box to focus on stopping it.  When he does throw, he's certainly good enough to take advantage of the weak coverage in the secondary.

I'm sure that eventually, defensive coordinators will figure out how to slow-down/contain what they are doing.  (Will they do it before the Ravens win the Super Bowl, I don't know...)  Once defenses adjust, it will be on the Ravens players and coaches to formulate a counter-punch.  Look no further than the team they played last night.  The Rams were the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0 until running into Bill Belichick in the Super Bowl.  Suddenly Jared Goff looks below average, and Sean McVay doesn't look like such a genius.

So yeah.  Long-term, I can understand why people would be skeptical about Jackson and the Ravens.  But don't forget that he's developing just like our young QB, and he could still get better as a passer as time goes along.  And if they can get 2 more months out of this scheme, they just may be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

46 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Do what the Chargers did last year.  Put Milano and Edmunds and 5 DBs on the field.  They played7 DBs but Edmunds and  Milano are fast enough to sub in for that.

Go heavy to stop Ingram, and Lamar beats you with his arm or his legs. Go light to combat Lamar and they run it down your throat with Ingram. 

49 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thety tried that against the Eagles...not so successful.

Plus no Ingram last year for the Ravens

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

We just beat a couple of bad, beat up teams. 

The Bills simply cannot score enough points at this point in the process to beat either Dallas, Ravens or Pats, IMO.  It's coming, its just not this year.

Yeah, Dallas is 6-5 and beat one team that has more than 4 wins. 

Talk about beating up on bad teams, oh wait they have 2 less wins and 2 more losses than the Bills so maybe they are incapable of beating up on bad teams like the Bills are. IMO Dallas isn't as good as Buffalo and I've never thought Garrett was a good coach!

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm saying it now, Lamar and Roman are going to struggle heavily with our back 7.  

Look, I'm not going to take anything away from Lamar right now but once their scheme is figured out, ala vs SD Wildcard weekend last year , I don't see him being able to recover from that and I'm certain our defensive personnel is their kryptonite. 

That's when you'll see Poyer/Hyde/Tre/Edmunds/Milano at their best, our back 7 is phenomenal and after we handle them at home , they'll be praying they don't cross our paths in the playoffs. We have the personnel to shut them down on a consistent basis. 

And like alot of Bills fans , I'm taking the Lamar love and Josh snub a little personal. I think we have the superior QB , I think when the 4th quarter hits and we wrecked Lamars running ability, he's going to FOLD like a lounge chair and I truly believe Allen is going to rise. I respect Baltimore heavily but I truly think Buffalo is their antedote. We are built to shut them down. And if the offense keeps progressing to the level I think it's capable of, sky is the limit.

SB or Bust, ya I said it!!!

The chargers didn't figure out anything.  They just "made him a QB" and he wasn't ready.  He's shown he's more ready this year, better understanding of defenses and game speed.

They're basically running a ton of 2 TE stuff - they tend to head towards the sidelines (safe), or cross (man beater), and run a lot of PA.  The WRs have a lot of speed for big plays in PA game.  If you screw up they can make you pay deep, but they're perfectly content running it down your throat and picking up 3rd and 3's - over and over again.

13 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Go heavy to stop Ingram, and Lamar beats you with his arm or his legs. Go light to combat Lamar and they run it down your throat with Ingram. 

Yeah - Ingram was a huge upgrade over collins.  They still have Edwards to hammer you at 6 foot 240.  

Let's be real here.  You have to score a lot to beat this style of team.  I hope we have some tricks up our sleeves because its either going to need to be a windy sleet crap game where luck is in play, or we have to put up at least 30 points.