MNF: Baltimore at LA Rams

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Good point Gugny!  But the Rams O has been so bad this year just look at stats wise. Could Gurley being on the downside be the reason? 

The Ravens IMO are the class of the AFC this year just like KC was last year.. be fun see how they do the second time around against teams in the playoffs.  (KC,NE,Pitt,Buff, Houston all be their second crack at then whoever it is)

Rams O has been figured out and Gurley hasn't been Gurley for over a year.

Ravens look legit, for sure.  I was hoping Wade Phillips could dial up a D to stop them.  Ha.  That didn't happen.  They're fun to watch.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when they play Buffalo.

27 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Good point Gugny!  But the Rams O has been so bad this year just look at stats wise. Could Gurley being on the downside be the reason? 

The Ravens IMO are the class of the AFC this year just like KC was last year.. be fun see how they do the second time around against teams in the playoffs.  (KC,NE,Pitt,Buff, Houston all be their second crack at then whoever it is)

Pittsburgh ? 

Although I've been a BIG Lamar Jackson fan, defenses aren't attacking his weakness. Lamar has always been a great runner and thrower of the football in the middle of the field. His weakness has been throwing to the outside, especially to the left. Watch his tapes from Louisville, he's deadly throwing down the seams but erratic to the sidelines. His TDs last night and against the Patriots were, if I'm not mistaking, down the seams. I'm waiting to see if a coach recognize this and expose this. Make him throw from the pocket to the sidelines. If LJ improves on those throws, he's unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

True enough but really look weak this year esp at QB. I dont think Tomlin has the horses to scheme around that deficiency. 

They only lost by 3 to the Ravens the last time they met.. and that took OT and 2 missed FG for the Ravens pull out.. and we all know how conference teams are.. good or bad they are never an easy win.

10 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Why would they mention the Bills?  The Ravens played the Pats who stat wise is a better defense the Bills and they couldn't slow them down. What makes you think the Bills defense will?

Because on their remaining schedule the ONLY defenses that stand a chance of slowing down the Ravens on paper are Buffalo and San Fran.  And given that the game is in Buffalo, which has a strong home field advantage and the potential for lousy weather, KNOWLEDGEABLE football announcers would have pointed that out.

But let's be honest here most of the announcers are morons who add very little to the viewing experience.

Looking at Jackson's stat sheet the first thing I thought of was "those are the kind of numbers you see in high school".  15 completions AND 5 TD passes! 

Now I say this not to be disrespectful but to show just how unusual the Ravens offense really is.  As others have mentioned when was the last time a QB threw FIVE TD passes on 15 completions totaling about 150 yards? 

Baltimore is running the most exotic offense in the NFL by going OLD SCHOOL.  They are using NFL talent to run a high school offense and may win a Super Bowl doing it.  It's the coolest story in the NFL and an example of the type of out of the box thinking the NFL sorely needs. 

Jackson deserves a lot of credit here but the most important person in this story is coach Harbough.  There isn't another NFL team that would have done what he did.  If Jackson was drafted by any other team he would either been a back-up or struggling starter.  And not because he can't play - he clearly can play, but because the NFL is set in its ways and views innovation as the cooties.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The good news is there is no way New England is beating Baltimore and wont be in the Superbowl.

Bad news is, neither are the Bills.

sure they can, depends on who scores first, if NE, then Brady will manage to a win

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

- Did anyone see Ramsey? Can anyone really see him sticking around?

They gave up two firsts for him.

Two.

A cautionary tale for those who were clamoring near the trade deadline to go all in this year, and for the Bills to get their hamburger today for some draft picks next Thursday. I suspect that trade will haunt the Rams for many years.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Bad news is, neither are the Bills.

Good news is, I didn't expect the Bills to have a shot at the SB this year.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Looking at Jackson's stat sheet the first thing I thought of was "those are the kind of numbers you see in high school".  15 completions AND 5 TD passes! 

Now I say this not to be disrespectful but to show just how unusual the Ravens offense really is.  As others have mentioned when was the last time a QB threw FIVE TD passes on 15 completions totaling about 150 yards? 

Baltimore is running the most exotic offense in the NFL by going OLD SCHOOL.  They are using NFL talent to run a high school offense and may win a Super Bowl doing it.  It's the coolest story in the NFL and an example of the type of out of the box thinking the NFL sorely needs. 

Jackson deserves a lot of credit here but the most important person in this story is coach Harbough.  There isn't another NFL team that would have done what he did.  If Jackson was drafted by any other team he would either been a back-up or struggling starter.  And not because he can't play - he clearly can play, but because the NFL is set in its ways and views innovation as the cooties.

Think there is a lot of truth in that. The one thing I would say is the complexity and the variation of the run game is way beyond what you would see in High School or college. I has said since before he arrived here that Greg Roman is one of the true offensive innovators in the National Football League. The problem is when people here "innovator" they think "passing". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow, that was a show, but I think I got it figured out.  :)

Teams are going to have to sacrifice 5 down lineman no LB's, and the two safeties are going to have to fill the gap where the LB's should be.  That leaves you 5 D linemen with a true NT, 2 safeties up at the LOS, and 4 DB's in man.. To me, this is the way to at least try and slow the Ravens down.

But, man-o-man, Jackson is fun to watch isn't he?

Tim-

Edited by D521646

6 hours ago, GG said:

For those who missed it.

Yeah, see, this is why I see the Shaq thing as NBD.  Those guys are so amped up from giving and taking hits, asking their bodies to go full-bore for 60 minutes.

The final whistle blows and all those hormones are still roiling around through their bloodstreams, churning up their brains and sometimes it comes out their pie-holes.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

just as wide open as Jackson.

Jackson wasn't just throwing to wide open guys in college.  His passing game started out basic and matured during his time in college, but he was making real throws.  Tebow is just not a comparison.

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Because on their remaining schedule the ONLY defenses that stand a chance of slowing down the Ravens on paper are Buffalo and San Fran.  And given that the game is in Buffalo, which has a strong home field advantage and the potential for lousy weather, KNOWLEDGEABLE football announcers would have pointed that out.

But let's be honest here most of the announcers are morons who add very little to the viewing experience.

Steelers have a very good D. I'd say given their familiarity with Balt they might have the best shot at slowing them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ravens have a killer ground game no doubt about it. It's pretty obvious that to beat them you have to shut it down, or at least control it, or keep it off the field etc... Otherwise you are going to lose. Lamar is uber talented and fun to watch but what you do to him is what you do to any young player under centre - you force him to be a quarterback and beat you with his arm. Looks very much to me like there are things that Lamar can do, and do well, passing the football, and still things, lots of them, that he has yet to prove that he can do and really hasn't shown yet.  If they aren't running wild Lamar's assignment as far as throwing the football goes gets much more difficult. As others have said maybe stack the box, blitz selectively, have Tre man cover Brown, ask Hyde and Poyer to patrol the centre of the field to minimize the TEs and maybe you've got a chance. 

As good as they are (loved seeing their O-line destroy the Rams' front) Roman still has to gameplan and pick his spots. Had they tried running inside the tackles yesterday they would likely have met with much less success. I wonder where/how exactly they will choose to run at the Bills. 

Also worth mentioning that the Rams were hot garbage last night. Out coached on both sides of the ball and not ready to play. That's on the coaches. I've never seen AD look so ineffectual. Just standing around all night not doing anything.

Really looking forward to the Ravens-49rs matchup. It won't look anything like yesterday IMO.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I still remember a thread from maybe a month ago when @John from Riverside was laughing at me for suggesting Lamar was even a 2nd tier MVP candidate.

Well, Vegas now gives him an 80% chance of winning the award. He's proven both of us wrong I guess.

I did and it turns out you were right.

I liked Jackson before the draft and said then I would totally be ok taking him but he reminded people too much of Tyrod Taylor to be given a real chance.   I was also a Josh Allen fan and was fine with taking him.

• Like (+1) 1