MNF: Baltimore at LA Rams

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

he also didn't have an offense dedicated to him. Jackson was no super passer in college but funny how good you get when its your offense. Tebow was a good passer in college but the NFL didn't like his throwing motion and proceeded to make him a terrible passer by changing it. Tebow won with a offense not suited for him and and a new worse throwing motion, guarantee he would have won more with his offense.

Wasnt Tebow throwing to wide open guys in college.  You can’t compare his college games to those in NFL

MNF reflections:

- Lamar Jackson. Wow. I am genuinely not sure how you try and defend him. It certainly isn't with the 1990s 3-4 defense that Wade tried to use (never been a great D against genuinely mobile QBs) but I think it is really hard. 

- one way to start might be to make him throw to the outside. The question for the Bills is how they use Edmunds in that game. They will have to commit guys to the box to stop the run but I sure like the idea of Edmunds's frame clogging Lamar's favourite passing lanes over the middle.

- Greg Roman is going to get a HC job. I have always resisted going there to this point because I am just not sure he looks or sounds like a HC. But teams will not ignore his results. He is like the NFL cheat sheet to having a successful run game. 

- the one thing the Ravens lack at the moment is a true #1 pass rusher.... well don't look now but Jaylon Ferguson is starting to come on here down the stretch. If he develops into that guy (and the talent is there) then I don't see a weakness. 

- okay the Rams..... I know people might think I am a broken record on this point but McVay is the biggest problem with the offense. The scheme has been worked out, the playcalling is predictable and teams are not falling for any of the window dressing. Remember when they used to have receivers running open all over the field? Well now they can't get anyone open. 

- Goff had a bad throw on the 1st pick trying to lay that in over the top of Peters. But otherwise I thought he actually played a solid enough game. The 2nd INT was not on him and he made the throws for the most part that were there. The much bigger problem is the construct of the offense. 

- When you spend on stars the thing that suffers is depth. You can see that at the moment with the Rams. They are starting guys who should be backups and have backups who should be practice squad players. 

- Did anyone see Ramsey? Can anyone really see him sticking around?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

he also didn't have an offense dedicated to him. Jackson was no super passer in college but funny how good you get when its your offense. Tebow was a good passer in college but the NFL didn't like his throwing motion and proceeded to make him a terrible passer by changing it. Tebow won with a offense not suited for him and and a new worse throwing motion, guarantee he would have won more with his offense.

He kinda was though. Certainly far better than Tebow. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Turn the Rams over, they are done.  Man, these NFC Super Bowl representatives have really crashed and burned lately (Atlanta, Philly, Rams).

Baltimore looks unstoppable right now.

The NFC is a much more competitive conference right now. Even look at the last 4 NFCCG:

Panthers over Cardinals

Falcons over Packers

Eagles over Vikings

Rams over Saints

8 teams in four years. You have to go back nine years to find 8 AFC Championship teams. The eighth, counting backwards, is Rex's Jets. 

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Wasnt Tebow throwing to wide open guys in college.  You can’t compare his college games to those in NFL

Yeah, Tebow was throwing mostly screen passes to Cooper and Hernandez between running guys over on option plays. He could never throw the ball down field, and wasn’t really an elusive runner. You can’t be runner whose game relies solely on power in the pros. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, mannc said:

We’ve got four first-round picks on our d-line. And one second.

So?   What does that say about the guy who assembled the defensive line?

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

you need both ideally.   I think McD and Bean got Oliver to solve pass rushing, but that seems like its taking longer than expected.  We need a DE rusher next year and I bet Oliver is better with another year in NFL and not at Houston. 

Yeah, I agree.  I think if you have to place emphasis on one, I'm going with the line -- that is where games are won and lost.  We do need a couple of DE/edge next year for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree, I think you need DEs like Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa types.  It will be interesting to see how San Francisco approaches this.  I think they have the athletic DL that may be effective.

I'm thinking faster Secondary and fast LBS. I think Bill's match well with them better than 49ers. But I could be wrong

That was a complete beat down of the Rams. Ravens are a nightmare to defend right now with Jackson playing the way he is. They are so physical up front and with their rbs. Ingram runs violently and Edwards is a power back in every sense. If your defense goes with speed to defend Jackson and the perimeter players (malcom Brown) then you more than likely will get run over with their 3 tight ends and physical rbs. If you go bigger to counteract the physicality, then Lamar keeps it and beats you with speed. If you completely stack the box to sell out and stop the run, they can go over the top with Malcom Brown or run him on crossers where he can use his speed to separate. They also have solid tight ends that can block and get down the field to make plays in the the passing game. Add in the fact they are well coached and playing very aggressively on both offense and defense and this is a tough matchup for any team. They consistently go for it on 4th down and short and because of the style of their offense they are tough to defend on 3rd and 4th and short situations. They control the ball and the clock. The Bills have the talent and coaching to at least present problems to the Ravens offense but the Bills have not displayed the "killer instinct" that that the Ravens have showed. They get opponents down to the ground and don't just try and lay on them, but rather they get on top and continue to drop bombs on their opponents looking to knock them out. 

20 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

So?   What does that say about the guy who assembled the defensive line?

I’m not sure what your point is.  SF has devoted a ton of high picks to their D-line in the past four years, but until they got Bosa with the second overall pick and Garoppolo got healthy, it wasn’t really working out for them.  Plenty of other teams have gone bust by using a ton of draft capital on the D-line (Jets, Redskins).  It’s not necessarily a sure path to success just because one team has done it.  

McDermott is really good at finding DB talent and he hasn’t needed top 5 picks to do it.  That’s every bit as valid a way to build a top defense.  

If the Bills have a chance to draft the next Nick Bosa, should they?  Of course, but that’s going to be pretty unlikely, picking in the 20s.  It’s always nice to have a great edge rusher, but anyone watching the Bills this year knows that probably shouldn’t be their top priority come April.

8 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

That was a complete beat down of the Rams. Ravens are a nightmare to defend right now with Jackson playing the way he is. They are so physical up front and with their rbs. Ingram runs violently and Edwards is a power back in every sense. If your defense goes with speed to defend Jackson and the perimeter players (malcom Brown) then you more than likely will get run over with their 3 tight ends and physical rbs. If you go bigger to counteract the physicality, then Lamar keeps it and beats you with speed. If you completely stack the box to sell out and stop the run, they can go over the top with Malcom Brown or run him on crossers where he can use his speed to separate. They also have solid tight ends that can block and get down the field to make plays in the the passing game. Add in the fact they are well coached and playing very aggressively on both offense and defense and this is a tough matchup for any team. They consistently go for it on 4th down and short and because of the style of their offense they are tough to defend on 3rd and 4th and short situations. They control the ball and the clock. The Bills have the talent and coaching to at least present problems to the Ravens offense but the Bills have not displayed the "killer instinct" that that the Ravens have showed. They get opponents down to the ground and don't just try and lay on them, but rather they get on top and continue to drop bombs on their opponents looking to knock them out. 

Ingram is an underrated part of that offense.  I still have nightmares about the way he shredded the Bills’ defense a couple years ago.  Having three good TEs is also huge for Jackson; he’s always got an open safety valve with those guys.  I would love the Bills to develop something like that for Josh.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Can someone explain to me what happen to the super genius and the next great HC McVay this year? That had to be the most predictable offense I have seen all year.  Absolutely horrid play calling and execution.

on a side note, everyone says how bad the Pats O is, but yet they have scored more than the Texans, Rams  Combined against the Ravens.. hell the Pats v Ravens game was close until Edelmans fumble in the third quarter. (The Pats were down by 4 when that happened)

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Can someone explain to me what happen to the super genius and the next great HC McVay this year? That had to be the most predictable offense I have seen all year.  Absolutely horrid play calling and execution.

on a side note, everyone says how bad the Pats O is, but yet they have scored more than the Texans, Rams  Combined against the Ravens.. hell the Pats v Ravens game was close until Edelmans fumble in the third quarter. (The Pats were down by 4 when that happened)

After 11 games, I don't think any team is being judged by one of them.

Even Brady admits that they're winning because of special teams and defense.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, stuvian said:

Jalen Ramsey and Marcus Peters going at it 

For those who missed it.

Apparently Marcus Peters had more hard feelings about the Los Angeles Rams' decision to trade him to the Baltimore Ravens last month than the cornerback originally let on.

On Monday, after the Ravens embarrassed the Rams 45-6 on Monday Night Football, Peters engaged in a verbal altercation with cornerback Jalen Ramsey, whom the Rams acquired only hours after trading Peters away. Then, as Peters made his way up the L.A. Memorial Coliseum tunnel to the visitor's locker room, he hollered a choice phrase in the direction of his former team.

"Kicking the Rams' ass out of the playoffs," Peters yelled.

Edited by GG

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After 11 games, I don't think any team is being judged by one of them.

Even Brady admits that they're winning because of special teams and defense.

Good point Gugny!  But the Rams O has been so bad this year just look at stats wise. Could Gurley being on the downside be the reason? 

The Ravens IMO are the class of the AFC this year just like KC was last year.. be fun see how they do the second time around against teams in the playoffs.  (KC,NE,Pitt,Buff, Houston all be their second crack at then whoever it is)