Midway 2019 vs Midway 1976

RochesterRob

For those who care which version and why.  I'll take the 1976 version because of its general shlockyness and because it is a who's who of small screen action actors mixed in with a few big names.  Has "look real close or you'll miss it" moments such as Gary Busey in a PBY (plane).  Henry Fonda >>>>>>>>>>Woody Harrelson as Adm Nimitz.  CGI should normally have it over 1960's-1970's special effects but the models obviously moving in an olympic size swimming pool are better in my mind but not by much.  

I haven’t seen the new one, but I bet I won’t like it as much. Modern action movies tend to have too much emphasis on long CGI action sequences from different angles, switching between zoomed in and zoomed out, with witty dialog, and loud sound effects. It gets annoying. 

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I haven’t seen the new one, but I bet I won’t like it as much. Modern action movies tend to have too much emphasis on long CGI action sequences from different angles, switching between zoomed in and zoomed out, with witty dialog, and loud sound effects. It gets annoying. 

Plus, it's a Roland Emmerich film, who really only makes CGI demo mixes.  

Midway 2019 is the worst movie ever.  I haven't even seen it, and I know that.  Yes, I'll even say it's worse than ***** March of the Mother*****ing Penguins.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm with DC Tom here.... I have little faith in this movie.  Emmerich has given us such gems as 2012, The Day after Tomorrow, and 10,000 B.C..  His only movie which was decent was Independence Day (the original.)  Even this is pretty corny looking back on it without any of the nostalgia for when I saw it was I was a teen.

1 minute ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I'm with DC Tom here.... I have little faith in this movie.  Emmerich has given us such gems as 2012, The Day after Tomorrow, and 10,000 B.C..  His only movie which was decent was Independence Day (the original.)  Even this is pretty corny looking back on it without any of the nostalgia for when I saw it was I was a teen.

The "good" movie you listed ended with Randy Quaid flying up an aliens butt.

I have not seen the new one, but I have seen commercials for it about 10,000 times.  It looks f-ing horrible like the movie "Pearl Harbor." 

At least the movie from the '70s (which wasn't particularly good itself) filmed real aircraft, and it did have Chuck Heston after all.

20 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

This is why I've only seen like three Marvel movies, and wasn't impressed by any of them. And the witty dialog isn't actually that witty. Usually some washed up boomer insult meme with tweety bird or a minion, or a call back to one of the previous movies so the viewers think they're in on a joke.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, DC Tom said:

Plus, it's a Roland Emmerich film, who really only makes CGI demo mixes.  

I'll give him credit for Stargate, Independence Day, and The Patriot, but only because they appealed to me as a child.

I'm afraid to watch them through adult eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'll give him credit for Stargate, Independence Day, and The Patriot, but only because they appealed to me as a child.

I'm afraid to watch them through adult eyes.

Coincidentally enough, I re-watched Independence Day last weekend for the first time in well over a decade.  Its cheesy, but it was cheesy in the 90s.  The effects still look pretty good.  I think it holds up.

I saw it.

I'm kind of a student of that battle.

There are a number of story lines about individual people and the things they did, and its kind of like a checklist approach to getting those in, one by one.

I thought the special effects were good, and far more realistic than Dunkirk, ie., no dancing around with each other air to air combat.

Quick, violent encounters-the way it really is.

The biggest thing I thought was silly was the constant NY accents of various people, which weren't reality at all.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Coincidentally enough, I re-watched Independence Day last weekend for the first time in well over a decade.  Its cheesy, but it was cheesy in the 90s.  The effects still look pretty good.  I think it holds up.

And it has Jeff Goldblum, so there's that.