Go on the record: The concern-o-meter!

A major concern is that our offense is totally predictable.  Very rarely is it anything but run on first down, very often on second down, and in short yardage situations no matter what the down.  That's the play calling concern.  Then there's the telegraphing of plays.  For instance, yesterday in the backfield is only Allen and McKenzie.  And McKenzie is right next to Allen.  Likely a sweep by McKenzie?  Sure enough.  And he gets stopped for no gain.  One of the things that made Johnny Unitas a great quarterback was, not so much that he called his own plays, which he did, but the fact that no one had a clue what was coming next.  Defenses had a clue how to prepare for him because there were frequently first down passes, third and very short passes, and plays no one would ever think of calling that worked.  Yes, he had lots of talent, but he also had a gift for making defenses look like chumps time and again.  Play calling can be an art.  We have nothing resembling an artist. 

21 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

OK, we all know that people around here just love to cling to their concern, so I've invented a method of measuring the pulse of TSW posters' concern.

Behold: THE CONCERN-O-METER!

Now's your chance to go on the record and let free your demons of concern by listing in this thread for all to see your concern level going into the last five games of the year! Without further ado, I ask you this:

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Genghis Khan and 10 is a doddering old woman afraid of everything she sees on her day filled with Cable TV news, how concerned are you about the final 5 games of this season?

Not to concerned at all. 

I see 2 wins (and that is all we need)

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

OK, we all know that people around here just love to cling to their concern, so I've invented a method of measuring the pulse of TSW posters' concern.

Now's your chance to go on the record and let free your demons of concern by listing in this thread for all to see your concern level going into the last five games of the year! Without further ado, I ask you this:

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Genghis Khan and 10 is a doddering old woman afraid of everything she sees on her day filled with Cable TV news, how concerned are you about the final 5 games of this season?

• Like (+1) 1

Not concerned at all.  We will win some.  We will lose some.  Then maybe we will win a playoff game too.  Either way, my expectations of this season are already exceeded.  I am super happy with this team right now.  I feel like we are moving in the direction of a continual contender.  We aren't quite there yet, but a few more pieces and a little more experience/improvement... and I believe we have a damn team again!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Image result for defcon 1 war game gif

26 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I think you overthunk this.

He lost me when he got all “mathy”. 

I’ll be 100% concerned one week at a time. It’s the NFL, anything can happen. On to Dallas and a great Thanksgiving Day celebration (I pray!). 

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

0. Being 8-3 in the last week of November with a tough run of games to come is mint.

I can think of way more concerning scenarios than this. 

Enjoy. 

Off the Chain! I like the enthusiasm, Yorkie! By the way, my favorite brewer's in your neck of the woods

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

1 and done. 

If they can beat the Cowboys, Jets and Pats. I can see this team being a real contender this year.

I’d probably throw in the Steelers before the Pats* (because, well,  I’ve been paying attention the last 20 years), but I think we CAN beat anyone left on the schedule. 

To not be concerned about the remaining five games on our schedule is just ignorance.

Some people seem to think that anyone who expresses just an ounce of concern is a Chicken Little. I've heard that same nonsense for so many years now, and it gets old.

Yeah, being a Bills fan IS TOUGH... It's HEARTBREAKING... it's ANXIETY because WE GIVE A DAMN ABOUT OUR TEAM, unlike places like Cleveland or Miami. 

My take- Dallas is the key to making the playoffs, regardless of NFC affiliation. Out of the five games, Dallas is the one I think we have the best chance at winning, albeit the way they lost in Foxboro could make it more difficult. Historically we don't do well against the Steelers or Ravens. So long as the Steelers have that defense, we're going to be in a huge dogfight. The Ravens are the most complete team in the AFC. The Cheatriots in Foxboro is an annual nightmare that knifes us in new ways like we're the pinata. To close, the Jets have gained momentum and are playing better and better- division rivalries are always dangerous.

So, I'm going to rate my concern at a chain smoking sailor in the Strait of Hormuz at an 8. All tough games, almost all AFC. It's honest.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not concerned at all

I think we make the playoffs

I think we are not ready for a deep playoff run this year

We are into YEAR ONE of the first major rebiuld I have seen the bills do in my lifetime (and I have been a bills fan for a long long time)

9 new starters on offense

2nd year very raw but high ceiling QB

Offense still have some holes

Offensive line completely retooled

NEXT year is the beginning of our deep playoff runs