Cap Rollover

Dkollidas

So I have a question regarding the rollover from salary cap space. 

Hypithetically, Buffalo has 20M in cap space this year. That rolls over to next season, giving them 80M in total cap space.

after the 2020 season, if they have hypothetically 40M in cap space, does that entire 40 get rolled into 2021, or since 20M of it was from the 2019 rollover, does that “disappear” so to speak.

basically does the rollover work on a year to year basis, or can it accumulate so that eventually a team could have an exorbitant amount of cap space if they kept theirs low for say 2-3 years? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2020/

2019 Rollover Cap    $26,629,408   :o

Cap Space     $90,968,926 

Dead Cap:            $1,043,674

Est. Cap Space:       $90,968,926

Rollover is year to year,  Whats not used rolls over 

BUT teams must meet a spending limit 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

who is available to spend all this $$ on?

keep in mind, if we keep building a culture like we have now people will WANT to come here... what a great time to be alive!

1st got to re-sign/extend their own.  

2nd replace the FAs they don't re-sign.

3rd a DE and LB (best fit they can get).

Save 25 million or so for next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/        2020 FAs  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

keep in mind, if we keep building a culture like we have now people will WANT to come here... what a great time to be alive!

Possibly Vonnie B’VSean Miller I think there’s an option in his contract but I may be mistaken. AJ green. Few other good-decent DEs

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Hypithetically, Buffalo has 20M in cap space this year. That rolls over to next season, giving them 80M in total cap space.

after the 2020 season, if they have hypothetically 40M in cap space, does that entire 40 get rolled into 2021, or since 20M of it was from the 2019 rollover, does that “disappear” so to speak.

basically does the rollover work on a year to year basis, or can it accumulate so that eventually a team could have an exorbitant amount of cap space if they kept theirs low for say 2-3 years? 

The $20M rolled-over from 2019 into 2020 would be used first, of sorts.

43 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Re-sign Phillips, 8-10M AVV

Re-Sign Lawson, 7-9M AVV

Re-sign Spain 5-7M AVV

Look at one of these DEs could range from 13-18 AVV

Miller (if they cut him)

Clowney

Ngakoue

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Re-sign Phillips, 8-10M AVV

Re-Sign Lawson, 7-9M AVV

Re-sign Spain 5-7M AVV

Look at one of these DEs could range from 13-18 AVV

Miller (if they cut him)

Clowney

Ngakoue

I like what you have here. Spend big on the DE in FA and draft one fairly high too. 
I might let Phillips walk and keep Liuget. Not exactly the same player But with Harrison coming back next year we might be able to spend money elsewhere like an AJ Green.  If he is healthy I’d love him added to the mix. Any speculation on what he gets coming off the injury coupled with production and Julio’s contract?

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like what you have here. Spend big on the DE in FA and draft one fairly high too. 
I might let Phillips walk and keep Liuget. Not exactly the same player But with Harrison coming back next year we might be able to spend money elsewhere like an AJ Green.  If he is healthy I’d love him added to the mix. Any speculation on what he gets coming off the injury coupled with production and Julio’s contract?

WRs cost a lot in UFA.  I am thinking Green would get a 1 year 15M deal.  something similar to that. Because of the INJ History.

Also maybe like a 3 year deal might be around 17.5 AVV for him

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Shaq Barrett & Amari Cooper

I really would rather not go buy a NO1 WR.  The I would rather look to a strong draft in that position. 

DE is where I would go buy a talent.

29 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I am pretty sure that Tre White's new contract may eat up a portion of this cap space as well and a decision needs to be made on Dawkins as well. Shutdown corners and Left Tackles generally are two of the core building blocks of any team....

Neither need to be done next year either.

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

It accumulates.  The Browns basically did what you suggest.  It can only be built up so fast though.  That’s due to the minimum team spending requirements.

The rollover is added to the baseline league salary cap for each team.  Then that repeats every year.

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Trade for McCaffrey and Kuechly for when Lorax retires

Kuechly is a MLB, where Edmunds has been playing.  I've thought for a while that Edmunds might be better suited to SAM than MIKE so he can use his speed more.  So possibly Kuechly would fit, with Milano playing WILL.  But, Kuechly isn't young anymore, and he's expensive, so probably not.

McCaffrey with Singletary.  Whoo.  Yes please.

I think Beane is looking 3-5 years down range, as he should.  We have a lot of young, good and improving, players who will all be looking for big paychecks.  The extra cap space will come in handy. 

I think we might need to win whatever we're going to win, while Josh Allen is still on his rookie contract.  Once a QB proves himself and gets the first big contract, the team's entire salary structure goes sideways.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I really would rather not go buy a NO1 WR.  The I would rather look to a strong draft in that position. 

DE is where I would go buy a talent.

I figure we are going to buy one in FA and draft the other. Cooper is the only WR I would look at in FA, you might get me on AJ Green depending on the deal/length.

We had a chance to trade for Clowney and didn't I just don't see us going after him. Ngakoue fits a need and I see Barrett fitting a need as well. I would LOVE  me some Von Miller, he has a $26 million cap hit next year and dead cap of $11.8  million; I don't think the Broncos are tight against the cap though. 

I see 3 real needs for us - #1WR, Edge Rusher & LB (LorAx replacement)

What I like about Cooper is you can push the WR need down further (25 yrs old) and focus on an Edge Rusher in Rd1 & RD2 can be BPA. You could even think about sliding Edmunds into that role, if you can find a Kuechley. Whereas with Green (and his injury history & 31 yrs old), I need to prioritize WR a bit sooner and almost force myself to move in late RD1-early RD2 to grab a WR. Green buys you a season or 2 to get the rookie up to speed.  

What I like about Shaq Barrett, is that he can provide an edge rush and take over for LorAx who may retire or play one more year. This allows me to maneuver in RD1 for the WR want (and can realistically get). Seeing we play in nickel/dime frequently, I can line Barrett up to rush the passer opposite Hughes and deprioritize  the need of the other end position and spend the money on a DT who will be cheaper. Barrett essentially fills 2 needs at one salary for us.  

It obviously depends on our draft position, the tier rankings within the positional groups, perceived team needs whop draft before us and those who are willing to trade. 

57 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Kuechly is a MLB, where Edmunds has been playing.  I've thought for a while that Edmunds might be better suited to SAM than MIKE so he can use his speed more.  So possibly Kuechly would fit, with Milano playing WILL.  But, Kuechly isn't young anymore, and he's expensive, so probably not.

McCaffrey with Singletary.  Whoo.  Yes please.

I think Beane is looking 3-5 years down range, as he should.  We have a lot of young, good and improving, players who will all be looking for big paychecks.  The extra cap space will come in handy. 

I think we might need to win whatever we're going to win, while Josh Allen is still on his rookie contract.  Once a QB proves himself and gets the first big contract, the team's entire salary structure goes sideways.

One of Kuechly or Edmunds slides over.. probably Edmunds. 

45 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I figure we are going to buy one in FA and draft the other. Cooper is the only WR I would look at in FA, you might get me on AJ Green depending on the deal/length.

We had a chance to trade for Clowney and didn't I just don't see us going after him. Ngakoue fits a need and I see Barrett fitting a need as well. I would LOVE  me some Von Miller, he has a $26 million cap hit next year and dead cap of $11.8  million; I don't think the Broncos are tight against the cap though. 

I see 3 real needs for us - #1WR, Edge Rusher & LB (LorAx replacement)

What I like about Cooper is you can push the WR need down further (25 yrs old) and focus on an Edge Rusher in Rd1 & RD2 can be BPA. You could even think about sliding Edmunds into that role, if you can find a Kuechley. Whereas with Green (and his injury history & 31 yrs old), I need to prioritize WR a bit sooner and almost force myself to move in late RD1-early RD2 to grab a WR. Green buys you a season or 2 to get the rookie up to speed.  

What I like about Shaq Barrett, is that he can provide an edge rush and take over for LorAx who may retire or play one more year. This allows me to maneuver in RD1 for the WR want (and can realistically get). Seeing we play in nickel/dime frequently, I can line Barrett up to rush the passer opposite Hughes and deprioritize  the need of the other end position and spend the money on a DT who will be cheaper. Barrett essentially fills 2 needs at one salary for us.  

It obviously depends on our draft position, the tier rankings within the positional groups, perceived team needs whop draft before us and those who are willing to trade. 

You need to find Kuechly for sure... in a trade