deep frying a turkey: tell me what not to do

teef

On 11/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, I am the egg man said:

So how did it go ? Inquiring minds want to know.....or not, but I am curious.

that sucker was a hit!  very easy as everyone mentioned.  i did a garlic sriracha rub and ended up cooking it perfectly.   i really only made one mistake.  i did a water displacement test with the turkey, and indicated where the oil needed to be.  now the pot already had a max/min fill line...there should be no thought.  just fill to the line.  well, my make was slightly over the line, (maybe by about an inch to inch and a half).  since i know better than the company that made the fryer, i filled it above the line a bit.  of course oil went everywhere, but tarps were down and not permanent mess made.  

thanks everyone for the input.  it came out so great and was easy enough, that i may make another depending how the bills playoffs scenario works out. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, teef said:

that sucker was a hit!  very easy as everyone mentioned.  i did a garlic sriracha rub and ended up cooking it perfectly.   i really only made one mistake.  i did a water displacement test with the turkey, and indicated where the oil needed to be.  now the pot already had a max/min fill line...there should be no thought.  just fill to the line.  well, my make was slightly over the line, (maybe by about an inch to inch and a half).  since i know better than the company that made the fryer, i filled it above the line a bit.  of course oil went everywhere, but tarps were down and not permanent mess made.  

thanks everyone for the input.  it came out so great and was easy enough, that i may make another depending how the bills playoffs scenario works out. 

Do oil displacement instead. It's what I did.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, teef said:

This is ***** boring.   I waited a week for this *****????

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:54 AM, teef said:

it came out so great and was easy enough, that i may make another depending how the bills playoffs scenario works out. 

Um, based on the scientific fact of "team wins, duplicate what you did previous week," you're going to be VERY busy with turkeys through February........

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Leftovers!

How does one deep fry stuffing?  Asbestos sage?  ?

i roll them up and drop them in.  stuffing balls.

46 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Um, based on the scientific fact of "team wins, duplicate what you did previous week," you're going to be VERY busy with turkeys through February........

maybe i try a different small animal every week.

10 minutes ago, teef said:

i roll them up and drop them in.  stuffing balls.

maybe i try a different small animal every week.

Serious question (no, really) ... did you stuff the bird, or is that not possible when frying?

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Serious question (no, really) ... did you stuff the bird, or is that not possible when frying?

i didn't.  most of what i read said make sure the turkey was empty.   now i'm curious if it can be done.

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I dont think that would work well. Best case, the stuffing would fry much faster than the bird and you'd end up with burnt/overcooked stuffing. Worst case, you ruin the whole thing since the hot oil isnt getting inside the bird so the outside is cooking much faster than the inside, and you end up with a turkey that is overcooked outside but raw in the middle..

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think that would work well. Best case, the stuffing would fry much faster than the bird and you'd end up with burnt/overcooked stuffing. Worst case, you ruin the whole thing since the hot oil isnt getting inside the bird so the outside is cooking much faster than the inside, and you end up with a turkey that is overcooked outside but raw in the middle..

Hmmmm .... I have a list of people I'd invite to eat that dinner.