deep frying a turkey: tell me what not to do

teef

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe it's just me, but I normally get a separate turkey for the tub.

Yeah, if you get 2 identical turkeys one can be the bathtub turkey and the other can be the one you fry. Personally I dont care either way since I'm the one bathing with the turkey, so I know everything is clean.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

That touched off a few heated arguments with my one uncle many years ago.  He was never into the traditional Thanksgiving meal at all.  

I suggested to my wife that we do a prime rib this year instead of turkey.  She looked at me like I had worms crawling out of my eyeballs.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I suggested to my wife that we do a prime rib this year instead of turkey.  She looked at me like I had worms crawling out of my eyeballs.

My advice when people want to know how to cook the perfect turkey: "ask your butcher for a rib roast instead."

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, teef said:

from everything i've read, these are the steps.  i have 6 gallons of peanut oil, so i should be good there.  the pot has a maximum/minimum fill line, so i'm good there too.  my rub is going to be salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a random cajun spice i found.  

If you're going to use a rub - put it under the skin. You can get to the meat pretty easily in a turkey.

Brining is really easy. Do it overnight tonight. It'll be ready tomorrow in time for your rocket-inspired deep-fry lift-off. 

Alton's brining and deep frying instructions

12 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

To find the volume of the turkey and how much oil to use, take the turkey in the bathtub with you. Subtract your volume when you and the turkey get in the water, and now you know how much oil to use. 

I normally just use my old toaster which is about the same size and weight of a turkey.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, teef said:

for the first time this year i'll be deep frying a turkey.  i'm not going to get too elaborate...just a rub on it and into the fryer it goes.  i'm just looking for what not to do.

So how did it go ? Inquiring minds want to know.....or not, but I am curious.