deep frying a turkey: tell me what not to do

teef

Butterball XL countertop fryer.  Electric and used indoors.  Works amazing.  

Did the outdoor one for years.  Never had an issue, but this one is much easier!  Safe and easy to keep the temperature constant.

6D7A1EE4-58CB-4CFD-BA00-FD1DFB40DF72.jpeg

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/butterball-xl-electric-fryer-by-masterbuilt?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs-Kp57OG5gIVQbDtCh3A1g91EAAYASAAEgIO-_D_BwE

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Not just max fill level, you need to know how high you should put the oil, depending on the size of your bird.  and DO NOT do it on your new stone patio.  Throw a piece of plywood down on the lawn or something. 

@Tenhigh is correct. Def need to do a displacement test with some water and mark it. 

I’ve done a couple and will be doing another one this year. It’s definitely good!

4 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

@Tenhigh is correct. Def need to do a displacement test with some water and mark it. 

I’ve done a couple and will be doing another one this year. It’s definitely good!

While keeping in mind that oil expands considerably after heating so you will need to reduce the amount of oil relative to water in your experiment.

2 hours ago, teef said:

ok.  i'm keeping it off the stone.  i was going back and forth with that.

someone told me since it's peanut oil, you can just throw out in the lawn.  it may be an issue for deer, fox, coyotes, etc., which we have.  i'm also super paranoid about my dog finding it, and rolling in it.  he likes to do that with deer *****, so i think he would love the oil.

A) we have a newer bluestone patio. No way on earth I’d risk it on there. 

B) Your dog apparently hates you. Why might that be?  ?

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't know if I would put tarps or anything underneath that could melt or catch fire.

Use sand.  It will not burn and it makes cleanup easier.

My mother-in-law never saw a turkey before and cooked in the wok.   One of the best deep fried turkey I have ever had.

10 hours ago, Gordio said:

About 10 years go or so we were tailgating for a Monday night football against the Browns.  We decided to deep fry a turkey.  Seemed like a good idea.  The tailgate & the deep frying went pretty well.  I had my FIL's pickup truck.  When we were done, before we were going into the game I was going to dump the oil out by this trash bin but one of the girls we were with started yelling at me, saying that is disgusting so I loaded the deep fryer with the oil back in the truck.  I remember Cleveland beat us on like a 55 yard FG & I was really ticked off.  Edwards threw a few picks that game.  I remember pulling out of the lot & thinking to myself, your upset right now, just leave the deep fryer in the truck & worry about it in the morning when you get home.  Well I didn't follow my own advice, tried to take the deep fryer out of the truck(I had a few drinks in me that night) & of course I spilled the deep fryer & all the oil went all over my driveway.  Of course my friends were laughing their asses off & drove off.  So I took the hose out from the garage & was spraying like crazy hoping this comes off.  My wife comes out(it was 12:30 at night) & says what are you doing?  & of course I told her to mind her own business & get the f*ck back in the house.  So of course she ended up locking me out of the house.  I had to sleep in my FIL truck.  It was like 20 degrees that night too.  Since then I have never brought a deep fryer to the Bills game.  

Is this why we lost to Cleveland this year?  Maybe the beginnings of a new "curse."

I've never tried this because WTF do you do with the used oil?

11 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Did the outdoor one for years.  Never had an issue, but this one is much easier!  Safe and easy to keep the temperature constant.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/butterball-xl-electric-fryer-by-masterbuilt?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs-Kp57OG5gIVQbDtCh3A1g91EAAYASAAEgIO-_D_BwE

That's what I use. It's boss mode

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Is this why we lost to Cleveland this year?  Maybe the beginnings of a new "curse."

It's a cooking oil, if your worried about dumping it in your yard, just poor it over the other side of the fence.....

Just don't pour it down the drain.....

Seriously though, you would do the same as you would with the oil after deep frying anything

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Do a brine, the rub may (probably will) come off in the oil. 

this was my wife's concern as well.  i don't think i'll have the time to get my act in order for a brine, so i'll try the rub this year, and get into the brining next year.

16 hours ago, davefan66 said:

if this becomes a regular thing, i could definitely see this as an option.

Deep frying a turkey is nothing to be afraid of if you’re not a moron.

1. Don’t use too much oil.  IIRC, the last time I did one I used about 4 or 5 gallons of peanut oil.  My turkey fryer “pot” has a fill mark that makes this easy.  Bought it at Bass Pro.

2.  Keep your fryer set up on a stable surface and far away from any structures.  Keep the kids inside while you’re doing it.

3.  Of course, make sure the turkey is completely thawed and dry.  Water + hot oil= YouTube video.

4.  Make sure you use a thermometer to maintain the oil temp at around 350.

It’s really not that hard.  I’ve never done the seasoning rubs or injections, so I can’t speak to that.  I typically just season liberally with kosher salt and pepper.  Enjoy!!  You’ll be fine.

36 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Deep frying a turkey is nothing to be afraid of if you’re not a moron.

1. Don’t use too much oil.  IIRC, the last time I did one I used about 4 or 5 gallons of peanut oil.  My turkey fryer “pot” has a fill mark that makes this easy.  Bought it at Bass Pro.

2.  Keep your fryer set up on a stable surface and far away from any structures.  Keep the kids inside while you’re doing it.

3.  Of course, make sure the turkey is completely thawed and dry.  Water + hot oil= YouTube video.

4.  Make sure you use a thermometer to maintain the oil temp at around 350.

It’s really not that hard.  I’ve never done the seasoning rubs or injections, so I can’t speak to that.  I typically just season liberally with kosher salt and pepper.  Enjoy!!  You’ll be fine.

from everything i've read, these are the steps.  i have 6 gallons of peanut oil, so i should be good there.  the pot has a maximum/minimum fill line, so i'm good there too.  my rub is going to be salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a random cajun spice i found.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've done a couple.  Couple of lessons learned (along with those already posted):

Don't oversize the turkey with respect to the fryer "pot".

Use the rack and hook to get the turkey in and out of the "pot".  I used a wooden paint stick and a second set of hands to manage this.

Have your chair and beverage of choice ready to go when starting the process.

Sit back, enjoy the time outside.

14 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You dump it in the back of your neighbors yard when he is not home.

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

To find the volume of the turkey and how much oil to use, take the turkey in the bathtub with you. Subtract your volume when you and the turkey get in the water, and now you know how much oil to use. 

Maybe it's just me, but I normally get a separate turkey for the tub.

• Haha (+1) 3