Is Offense Better and Defense Worse Than We Think?

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

And I get that. But even against Washington. I feel like we "take our foot off the gas." 

It's not about being the Patriots. It's about having the "finishing" mentality

With a 13 point lead and 5 minutes to go ....  Running out the clock is also a "finishing" mentality.  

lets not pretend the Donks Defense is horrid.    

If they had pressed the passing game they could risk turnovers 

I would LOVE to see the Bills win by 30 points every week.  I'ts just not necessary IMO 

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

With a 13 point lead and 5 minutes to go ....  Running out the clock is also a "finishing" mentality.  

Getting first downs is finishing. We did not get the first down there. There may have been more time left, I'd have to go back and look. 

40 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

How do you know I would blast McDermott? lol

I've never done that. 

AND the fact that our defense was playing that well absolutely allows you to be more aggressive. 

I guess based on your post:reputation ratio, coming off assuming and being directly negative instead of having a conversation is your forte.

Based on your knowledge of football— that giving an incompetent offense the ball back deep in their territory with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter down 3 scores- is somehow not a good strategy , I’ll take that as a compliment.  

Based on my knowledge of football? As if you know my football pedigree, where I played, coached, etc.

I never said that was not a good strategy. I'm just saying I'd like to be more aggressive in certain spots. If your defense is playing an inept offense, you can absolutely be more aggressive. Their QB was 2-10 or something like that in the second half. I'd like to see more than a 3 TE 2 RB set on 3rd and 3 there, that's all. 

24 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

Based on your knowledge of football— that giving an incompetent offense the ball back deep in their territory with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter down 3 scores- is somehow not a good strategy , I’ll take that as a compliment.  

The rush defense still is a weakness. The Broncos averaged 5 yds/carry yesterday. I was surprised by the Denver coaching-- every time they had a third and three or 2, they went empty backfield and threw the ball. Really did the Bills a favor, imo.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Offense and defense are worse than we think. I can't get over how incredibly easy the schedule has been. It's not that we've played losing teams it's that we've played so many teams that lack talent and haven't looked great doing so.

We're going to find out a lot about the Bills in the coming weeks. 

Oh hi.

How'd your prediction this week work out?

Do I feel this team is solid and a serious contender? Nope, not fully.

But do I think they can win the next 4 games, and mostly, win a playoff game? For sure. They are good, and when things align, some bad calls and plays by the other team... this a team that has a chance. Could they lose the next 4 games? Sure, that too.

Of course, as a fan I'm not super confident but damn it's exciting and fun. Meaningful football in December!!!

They COULD go far. I wouldn't bet the house on it, oh no, but they could. And I'll root for that. But it's exciting to think they are good enough to compete right now, and one more year of great salary cap space for signings and draft by Beane in 2020. The future is bright.

Disagree. Our Defense is dependable and can keep us in any game. The O is still leaving us vulnerable. Look at the Bronco game. The O did look good yet was only up 6-0. It took a huge interception by the D or this game could have went differently. The Broncos take a 7-6 lead there and who knows how the momentum goes. 

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Based on my knowledge of football? As if you know my football pedigree, where I played, coached, etc.

I never said that was not a good strategy. I'm just saying I'd like to be more aggressive in certain spots. If your defense is playing an inept offense, you can absolutely be more aggressive. Their QB was 2-10 or something like that in the second half. I'd like to see more than a 3 TE 2 RB set on 3rd and 3 there, that's all. 

W9 - if we were up by 7, I would agree with you. With 5-6 minutes to go & up by 3 scores however , you run out the time & get into the locker room and celebrate with a cold beer.

I dunno about the defense being worse...

I mean we sit and watch them and even when they are having a bad day,  it's like an average day for most teams.  On days they are average they are holding teams to like 300 yards of offense and 180 yards passing.

On days they are really good they are holding teams to under 200 yards of total offense.

We have been so spoiled watching them force 3 and out after 3 and out that when they have an off day we think its terrible but in reality they are still better than half the teams in the league on their worst days.

I don’t get it.  I honestly don’t get it.  Sure , the next few games should he good tests.  But why do fans of the team assume the sky is falling?  I get it from national pundits who know bupkus about the Biils, but the fans?

We can’t beat teams in a shoot out?  What makes you think we’ll get in a shootout?  That happens when teams can throw on you and score quickly.  Is there anything about the Bills pass defense that would suggest that?  

Run defense?  Maybe.  But what about them defending our running game?  Denver had a well ranked run defense and we had our way with them.

We’ll see what happens.  But let’s get psyched, stop with the worrying!