Offensive line starting to come around

Kind of typical of what happens when 4 new starters join a line...they start playing better and better as the season goes on and they start to gel.

Not sure why so many people didn't understand that it was going to take time playing in real games for them to start playing well and they expected them to just dominate from game 1. 

Just not how it usually works.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Seamless transition for long and feliciano when Morse went down. Not to mention we were already down a tackle. 

can’t remember this sort of depth up front and I don’t think many other teams can boast the same 

This. 

3/5ths of the OL got changed out early and they actually got better throughout the rest of the game.

Amazing really!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ford deserves a lot of credit too.  He was up against Von 1 on 1 a lot and did well.

Was really proud of Cody.   He did well, I felt like it was gonna be ugly but he Vonned up.  Nice job from a guy Ive been whining about all season, he showed em all what he's got.

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

This. 

3/5ths of the OL got changed out early and they actually got better throughout the rest of the game.

Amazing really!

Singletary rushes for over 100 yards, Gore slips into 3rd all time.

It was amazing...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Keep investing in it.  I don't think Morse is anything special and he has proven to be injury prone.  Spain will need to be replaced.  A C/G in the first four rounds would be wise.  Spain has been ok. In a perfect world they could sign him to a two year extension.  But he probably tests the market again.  

Adding two edge players and another interior DL will be the priority.

I think the line has really come along since about week 5 or 6. Spain has been one of our most consistent players since the bye, Cody is improving and Dion Dawkins who I was critical of through the first month of the season is playing as well as any left tackle in the league at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Was really proud of Cody.   He did well, I felt like it was gonna be ugly but he Vonned up.  Nice job from a guy Ive been whining about all season, he showed em all what he's got.

For the most part I didn’t hear Von’s name called. That tells me Ford did his job. Maybe he will be a solid RT after all. Or at least it temporarily shuts down the notion of him being moved to RG talk.

It's nice to see the unit growing as a team and I noticed too how much better Josh Allen has become as a pocket passer, the stepping up to avoid the rush and working through his progressions.  It's been a long time since the Bills had a line and a QB that looked like they belong in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a huge Morse supporter, all over his jock in free agency, but I have to admit I don't think he has played great. I think his pass protection has been excellent, his run game has been up and down. I think the run game was actually better with Feliciano at center and Long at guard. But I'm not complaining here. As others have mentioned, the seamless transition was great to see. That's why you use so many line combinations early on and in the preseason. Worrying about 5 guys gelling is overrated and overstated...you need the entire offensive line unit to gel and the staff here has done a masterful job in that regard. 

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Kind of typical of what happens when 4 new starters join a line...they start playing better and better as the season goes on and they start to gel.

Not sure why so many people didn't understand that it was going to take time playing in real games for them to start playing well and they expected them to just dominate from game 1. 

Just not how it usually works.

Agreed.  

You also have to consider the overhaul at WR (Brown, Beasley) and TE (Kroft, Knox) as weapons in the passing game.  If usually takes time for the QB to get timing down with his receiving weapons.

I was harping all offseason that our offense may start slow, and it would take some patience.  I'll admit that I was getting nervous after 7-8 games and we were still having the same problems though...  Hopefully the last two weeks is evidence we have gotten into a groove and turned the corner.

• Like (+1) 1