A Few Thoughts about the Broncos Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Nice Work Virgil! As mentioned by others you kind of neglected Matt Milano's game.

I thought this game was our most complete. It's an improvement over last week because of the special team improvement in coverage. We had to settle for 2 FGs early, but out side of that this was our best game this year. That's 2 in a row and let's all have a great turkey day while watching the 3rd.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

When Allen doesn't need to put the team on his shoulder to win, good things happen as evidenced in the last 5 weeks.   As long as McD keeps the Running Game and Defense as the priority, the passing attack will continue to surprise people. We would have won the game against the Browns if Singletary was used more to run the football.

I agree with you- I am still of mindset that Allen is not ready to be top 10 yet because hosistakrs came in bunches but this was another step for him

We are all beginning to see now why the mountain of a man in Josh Allen was considered by many to be the QB with the highest possible ceiling in a very good draft class.  Top of the class intelligence, great wheels and comes equipped with the highest velocity cannnon the NFL has ever seen.  At 8 - 3 Allen/Bills have accomplished more with less this season then counterpart and 1st pick overall, Baker Mayfield/Browns. (5 - 6) Mayfield holding the 1 - 0 lead in head to head play. Lamar Jackson drafted at the rear of the 1st round pack has perhaps shined the brightest so far in his second season. At 8 - 2 Jackson/Ravens currently hold the highest team record in the draft class.  Lamar Jackson has also distinguished himself as being the only QB in the NFL this season that has defeated the defending champion Patriots and GOAT Tom Brady.( Mayfield 1 - 0 lead in head to head play vs Jackson) Sam Darnold even got into the action Sunday knocking Derek Carr and the Raiders out of the last AFC wild card spot available.

Josh Allen is still standing tall in a very good draft class.  We got our guy.

Thanks OP for a nice game summary.

Well done Buffalo...

Edited by Figster

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Kinda brings me back to my point from a few weeks ago that McKenzie should be the one inactive, let Foster run the sweeps and use Duke as an end zone threat or escape valve for Allen in addition to Beasley 

Interesting point.

I think Foster could be for the Bills what they wanted Zay Jones to be.

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

5 - Allen - Josh threw an interception and I could not have cared any less.  The ball came out of his hands weird and just sailed on him.  Interceptions are going to happen, but not for Josh in the past few games and this wasn't a poor decision.  This was a play that randomly will happen and the Josh did what makes most of us love him, not care about it going forward.  Josh played fantastic to me today.  I'd go so far as to say it might have been a better performance than last week.  Yes, he got a big help by having the defense need to respect our running attack, but Allen made some amazing throws today that many have been asking to see.  And yes, he hit a BEAUTIFUL deep ball to Smoke which was deliciously over Harris' head.  Brown was taken away from Allen today and it didn't slow him down at all.  Beasley finally had a game where he was a focal point and responded in spades.  His TD pass to Beasley was one I hope other teams take note of and think twice when sending zero blitzes against Allen. 

I agree here. Obviously, picks are never good, but this wasn't the "terrible decison" or "hero ball" pick he was throwing early in the year. The one he threw yesterday isn't the kind of pick that makes you just pull your hair out and scream. 

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

@Virgil, thanks for not taking a vacation. As always great read. From my seat you can get some much needed time off after the Superbowl! Lets go Bills!

I agree, a game without Virgil's thoughts in no particular order to help summarize the madness would leave one out of sorts and feeling lost and hopeless.

Play fearless Buffalo!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

It's not very often the Bills play a game where you never feel worried about a loss from the moment of kick off.  The Bills did that twice in consecutive weeks in a game where they always seemed in control.  So much in control, I was a little annoyed when they called a time-out to allow 3 points, preventing the shutout.  I was that confident in our guys that they wouldn't have scored against without it.  With that being said....

1 - Gore - The future HOFer was a change of pace back today, and did well doing it.  When he finally came into the game, he was a battering ram up the middle, just punishing a Broncos defense that was already on the field a lot.  You had to laugh at the Billsy moment of Gore losing yards on the first play he could have eclipsed the #3 spot, but he put the record away and then some, a few plays later.  I just want to acknowledge how rare this accomplishment is in a league where running backs are a throw-away position and careers end as players fade out in free agency.  Gore has bounced around from team to team, finding productivity and bringing leadership.  Every single week I read an article about Gore getting other players involved and being a phenomenal role model.  As the media was interviewing Singletary post game, asking him what it was like playing along side Gore, Gore overheard them and told the media to instead ask Singletary about getting his first 10 yard game as that's a big deal for the rookie.  Pure class and I'm glad he got the record while playing for the Bills.

I dunno man, i think its more Jetsy than Billsy;)

12 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Virg, how about Bill's and core vs. corps ?

Good grief - someone just wrote Robert's in regard to our kick return guy. He must be on the Bill's...

I learned spelling and grammar from the Sisters of St Mary of Namur. I have worked with many engineers who can not spell or compose a proper sentence. I feel your pain, Virgil.

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Penalties - The only negative note I have about today's game was the insane amount of holding penalties that knocked us out of scoring position.  The holding call at the Broncos 1 yard was a killer.  More than that, we had multiple calls (none against Lee) that tried to slow the game down.   More frustrating was that the camera's never showed the replays.  There was one play where the commentators said they couldn't see why a hold was called and the players seemed frustrated.  The penalties kept quite a few more points off the board and absolutely killed a drive right before half.  I hope to hear more about these as people review the film and I hope they get this cleaned up as we have teams who will take better advantage of this going forward.

This was a pretty good post, you should think about making it a weekly segment!

WTH was up with no replays of penalties yesterday? 

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

Good grief - someone just wrote Robert's in regard to our kick return guy. He must be on the Bill's...

I learned spelling and grammar from the Sisters of St Mary of Namur. I have worked with many engineers who can not spell or compose a proper sentence. I feel your pain, Virgil.

I too am a stickler for proper punctuation and grammar. This board is so bereft with unnecessary apostrophes I have started to call this phenomenon "the Buffalo apostrophe"..... 

27 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I too am a stickler for proper punctuation and grammar. This board is so bereft with unnecessary apostrophes I have started to call this phenomenon "the Buffalo apostrophe"..... 

Come on. This is a forum for Bills fans to unwind and just talk. Grammar? Are you f......me? Are we we not judged enough in our everyday lives?  I have a f......Masters degree. Many members here are well educated. Do yourself a favor. Do not be a troll! Many of  us do not have time for that. 

Edited by Rocket94

22 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

A great game, I’m a happy guy.  However I want to point out a very, very, very small point of frustration for me...

First downs were almost always straight ahead runs. Nothing interesting until second down.

That’s better than past years, when first and second downs were always straight ahead runs. 

Those first down runs rarely gained much yardage.  I’ll be impressed if they ever do something else on first down. 

Not with Singletary

9 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Come on. This is a forum for Bills fans to unwind and just talk. Grammar? Are you f......me? Are we we not judged enough in our everyday lives?  I have a f......Masters degree. Many members here are well educated. Do yourself a favor. Do not be a troll! Many of  us do not have time for that. 

why don't you go after Poleshifter as well? I was merely responding to his post and agreeing with him. You really think this is about judgment? I haven't been the first to point out obvious mistakes and won't be the last.....and when people do call out someone's error, it's always done with humor, not a personal attack. I realize that most of the time these are simply keyboard errors and could care less. This does not make me a troll.

Congrats on your Masters degree .....