Nsekhe     2 yrs    $10mm

Ford          4 yrs    $7.5mm

Feliciano  2 yrs   $7.25mm

Dawkins   4 yrs   $4mm

Spain        1 yr     $2mm

Waddle     1 yr     $2mm

Bates        3 yrs   $1.7mm

Boettger   3yrs    $1.7mm

Beane hit it out of the park this offseason with retooling the O-Line.  Can anyone look at the names and numbers above and not believe that we have gotten incredible value for the amount of resources invested after watching the O-Line play this season?    We have had O-Lineman go down and the backup comes in and just picks up and continues to play at a very high level.  Nsekhe goes down and Ford shifts to R T.  Morse goes out today and Feliciano shifts to Center and Long comes in at RG and the line doesn't miss a beat.  The offense rushes for 244 yards against a solid Broncos defense.  The Broncos only had one sack today and Josh had plenty of time to go through his progressions and a clean pocket to throw from. What a difference a year makes.

I thought the #1 item on Beane's offseason list last year was to fix our horrendous O-Line.  He did that by bringing in players that were flying under the radar.  Who the Hell are Nsekhe, Feliciano, and Long?  They weren't big name free agents.  Then Beane trades a bag of marbles and a bologna sandwich for Bates who has looked solid when called upon bringing even more versatility to the O-Line.  Beane did his homework and went out with a bunch of money in his pocket and didn't blow it on flashy players, he brought in guys who were ready to take that next step and he got them on team friendly deals. 

We head into the 2020 season with the 4th most cap space in the league at $90mm.  The front office under Beane is killing it in the draft and in Free Agency.  So far so good with Allen.  I'm not even going to talk about Beasley and Brown, Knox and Singletary, and the defensive additions.  Beane is setting up this team for success for years to come.  

Yeah, but we could have had Watson, Mahomes, or Jackson. Beane blew it. :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Anyone doubting Beane and McDermott have some kind of agenda. A winning season and playoffs right out of the gate, completely rebuilt the organization, and are on their way to another winning season and playoff appearance AT LEAST this year.

There isn't a Bills fan alive that wouldn't be begging for a team like this 5-10 years ago.

Agreed. I think most of the criticism stems from "are they the men (or specifically is McDermott the coach) to deliver a Championship?" My view is I kind of think that is not a question for now. They have made the team genuinely competitive. They have changed the culture. If they are a duo whose ceiling is making the playoffs and being bungled out early every year (think Marvin Lewis or Bill O'Brien) then yea, at some point the Bills will need to move on, but how about we cross that bridge when we come to it? So far they have done a really nice job here and from what I am told by people in the know they are very highly respected around the league and the Bills are seen for the first time in ages as a team doing it the right way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beane did a wonderful job in one offseason retooling the oline. I look for him to take another olineman or two in the draft while adding another couple Vets again this off season.

Morse doesn’t stink, he is awesome. Having him out there with Feliciano at guard is your best line.

not to get too off topic, my only fear about Beane is McDermott. Are the two tied together?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Then Beane trades a bag of marbles and a bologna sandwich for Bates who has looked solid when called upon bringing even more versatility to the O-Line. 

It was actually for Eli Apple, who I would tend to think of as a bag of apples, rather than marbles. I would also ask the Iggles, "How do you like 'dem Apples?"

I'm just Joshing ya, @Inigo Montoya. Great points!

(Also, in case you were wondering, yes: I have an advanced degree in Dad jokes)

• Haha (+1) 1

It kills people / fans / media sort, when a man in the NFL (and his team of professionals) have a plan, stick to it when the going gets rough, and then start to show their brilliance. Beane took a crap-load of scrutiny and unjustified insults during last year and everyone was losing their minds when he held the line and saw their way out of Cap jail. He and McD (since he ran the first Draft) have shown they can find and unearth talent at every level and so far (except for Drafting WR) at every position. Consider Foster and Wallace were Undrafted FAs and then Milano a 5th, T. Johnson a 4th and they traded Teller for a 5th who was starting for the Browns. Neal and J. Johnson in the 6th who are STs guys....just consider that except for Zay Jones, they've done a remarkable job in find talent. 

On a side note, I said except for WR due to not Drafting high in the Draft that has worked out so far - I noted Foster and of course Beasley and Smoke have been the difference makers in the receiving corps. So, FAs they know what they're doing as well. Also, not a knock on Beane et. al., they had solve the line problems first before you Draft WRs too high. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

It kills people / fans / media sort, when a man in the NFL (and his team of professionals) have a plan, stick to it when the going gets rough, and then start to show their brilliance. Beane took a crap-load of scrutiny and unjustified insults during last year and everyone was losing their minds when he held the line and saw their way out of Cap jail. He and McD (since he ran the first Draft) have shown they can find and unearth talent at every level and so far (except for Drafting WR) at every position. Consider Foster and Wallace were Undrafted FAs and then Milano a 5th, T. Johnson a 4th and they traded Teller for a 5th who was starting for the Browns. Neal and J. Johnson in the 6th who are STs guys....just consider that except for Zay Jones, they've done a remarkable job in find talent. 

On a side note, I said except for WR due to not Drafting high in the Draft that has worked out so far - I noted Foster and of course Beasley and Smoke have been the difference makers in the receiving corps. So, FAs they know what they're doing as well. Also, not a knock on Beane et. al., they had solve the line problems first before you Draft WRs too high. JMO.

Foster??   The legend continues.   sorry but Foster is NOT a reason for the Bills winning 

Let me first say, I agree OP.  Beane killed it.  

BUT...let me fix your thread title to be more TSW accurate.

“With every WIN, Beane looks better...and after every LOSS it shows Beane blew it and should be fired and we need a new QB”.

Because after every loss this board loses its mind and starts throwing Beane under the bus and looking for a new QB too.  See this board after Cleveland game and all the utterly stupid threads and comments for further evidence.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Foster??   The legend continues.   sorry but Foster is NOT a reason for the Bills winning 

Um, I don't think he was a "reason" for winning but if you missed his contribution yesterday - that's on you. Furthermore, he was Allen's best WR last year and helped him grow. Again, if you don't see that, then you've decided to ignore some aspects of what he brings to the Offense. Has he been great? No, of course not - he's been largely absent. But, as an UDFA and his first year contributions and how when used properly and he's healthy, you can see the speed value in yesterday's game. Two good plays that resulted in good gains on Offense. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me first say, I agree OP.  Beane killed it.  

BUT...let me fix your thread title to be more TSW accurate.

“With every WIN, Beane looks better...and after every LOSS it shows Beane blew it and should be fired and we need a new QB”.

Because after every loss this board loses its mind and starts throwing Beane under the bus and looking for a new QB too.  See this board after Cleveland game and all the utterly stupid threads and comments for further evidence.

I avoid TBD for a few days after a loss just because people here are so ridiculous.  If I told someone at the start of the season that the Bills would go 12-4 this year they would be thrilled.  Knowing that, they would still come here after each of the four loses and go crazy about how terrible the Bills are and how Josh Allen is a bust and Clappy McClapperton has no idea how to coach, and Beane needs to be fired.

Inconceivable...

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It is nice to know we aren’t talking of firing these two.

This organization appears to be in good hands.

Define “we”, and wait until we lose two in a row, or have another “unbearable blow out” loss. They are out there.....biding their time. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the important point is that Beane isn't done.  He will never be done.  Some of these guys we're talking about as free agent finds, will be gone a year from now.   I don't mean all of them or anything like that, but they're style (McDermott is completely in on this) is to move on from guys unless they are exactly what they want.  They want a leader in every position room, but if they have one, they don't need a second.  That's why McCoy is gone.  Singletary wasn't necessary better than LeSean when the cut was made, but Beane and McDermott are always looking to the futureso they want to always have a good developmental player, a guy who promises to be better than the guy they let you.  And they manage the cap to be able to do it.   By always having cap room, they can afford to eat some cap a little here or there to keep upgrading players. 

As for Morse, I don't know, at all, how he's doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if McDermott and Beane knowingly overpaid for him because he has the intangibles that they want in the center of the line.  He may be the best leader among the good centers in the league, for all I know.. 

They have they're approach.   They know what a great athlete is, and they will aggressively go the guys they think are the right great athletes, like Allen and Edmunds.  But at some positions they're looking for the right role player, like all the guys they added to the o line this year.   Some of those role players will be at risk next summer.   

Zay Jones was one of those guys.  Guy's got some talent, he could play the role the Bills wanted him to play, but the Bills were ready to move on from him pretty quickly.  

Whether they're copying Belichick, I don't know, but that's what the Patriots do.   It's a revolving door in Foxboro.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ocemur said:

People can and will criticize Beane, or any GM for that matter, by picking out the players that he missed on. I'm not sure that's the whole picture, although I think Beane seems to be above average in choosing players to build the roster.

I think the key to Beane is the way he maximizes value of assets. It's getting late in training camp and you have a guy who is roster worthy but buried on the depth chart and likely to be cut? Beane turns that guy into a late round pick instead of a late camp cut. He's also shown he has no qualms about moving around in the draft. What all this means is that, when making choices for the roster, he has more options than we have had in the past. He sees Cody Ford available early on day two? No problem, he's got the fifth rounder it takes to move up in his pocket. 

I think what makes Beane a keeper is his sense of getting the most out of his assets, giving himself the most options to choose from when spending capital, and  his confidence in pulling the trigger.

Ok I am all for the “asset maximization” approach to get a team to be competitive. BUT champions win because they have stars not good players but great players with some hefty salaries. We need some big time playmakers on the offense if we ever want to compete for a championship and a top notch Edge rusher. Maybe we have some of them in Singletary and Knox but we can’t just constantly hope on hitting gold while we sign value guys. At some point Josh’s, Tre’s, Milano’s, and Edmunds’ big deals are coming and we need to be challenging for a SB by then. We need to agin a major Edge and at least one or two weapons next year and then hit it out of the park with our picks to continue what they started or we could be back at 8-8. Great teams don’t have salary cap space because they have great players !!!!!

Edited by Locomark

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He made Morse the highest paid center in the league when he was rated around 15th.  Murphy and Star were given very large contracts.  Long is getting 4 M per year to be a backup.  They have the money to spend so I really don't care. 

Kinda sounds like you care.