Nsekhe     2 yrs    $10mm

Ford          4 yrs    $7.5mm

Feliciano  2 yrs   $7.25mm

Dawkins   4 yrs   $4mm

Spain        1 yr     $2mm

Waddle     1 yr     $2mm

Bates        3 yrs   $1.7mm

Boettger   3yrs    $1.7mm

Beane hit it out of the park this offseason with retooling the O-Line.  Can anyone look at the names and numbers above and not believe that we have gotten incredible value for the amount of resources invested after watching the O-Line play this season?    We have had O-Lineman go down and the backup comes in and just picks up and continues to play at a very high level.  Nsekhe goes down and Ford shifts to R T.  Morse goes out today and Feliciano shifts to Center and Long comes in at RG and the line doesn't miss a beat.  The offense rushes for 244 yards against a solid Broncos defense.  The Broncos only had one sack today and Josh had plenty of time to go through his progressions and a clean pocket to throw from. What a difference a year makes.

I thought the #1 item on Beane's offseason list last year was to fix our horrendous O-Line.  He did that by bringing in players that were flying under the radar.  Who the Hell are Nsekhe, Feliciano, and Long?  They weren't big name free agents.  Then Beane trades a bag of marbles and a bologna sandwich for Bates who has looked solid when called upon bringing even more versatility to the O-Line.  Beane did his homework and went out with a bunch of money in his pocket and didn't blow it on flashy players, he brought in guys who were ready to take that next step and he got them on team friendly deals. 

We head into the 2020 season with the 4th most cap space in the league at $90mm.  The front office under Beane is killing it in the draft and in Free Agency.  So far so good with Allen.  I'm not even going to talk about Beasley and Brown, Knox and Singletary, and the defensive additions.  Beane is setting up this team for success for years to come.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 26
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Part of being an effective GM also involves cutting the right people: next year Kroft, Gore, DiMarco and Murphy should not be on this team. I agree 100% that he was masterful in upgrading our OL. I still think OL is the most important position on a football team--it protects your QB (even a HOF QB can look very average when he is under pressure), opens up holes for the run game, and by controlling the clock it wears down the opposing defense while keeping your defense fresh. That's why I think we have very little chance to beat the Cowboys Thursday: their OL can dominate, and I think they will be motivated coming off a loss. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jav said:

Part of being an effective GM also involves cutting the right people: next year Kroft, Gore, DiMarco and Murphy should not be on this team. I agree 100% that he was masterful in upgrading our OL. I still think OL is the most important position on a football team--it protects your QB (even a HOF QB can look very average when he is under pressure), opens up holes for the run game, and by controlling the clock it wears down the opposing defense while keeping your defense fresh. That's why I think we have very little chance to beat the Cowboys Thursday: their OL can dominate, and I think they will be motivated coming off a loss. 

It will be interesting to see which bills turns up in that game. If the performance is there I think there's a chance 

7 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Clappy and Beane have us set up well for a long time 

Its games like today that I look at what we have have done on the OL and we should go with what we have and start concentratng on offensive weapons.   A big physical fast wide receiver to go opposite Brown.......A upgrade big running back.......pass rush........corner

What of course you really want to see happen is a draft that you just let it come to you.....taking the best available player and magically they be at positions of need or needed depth.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone doubting Beane and McDermott have some kind of agenda. A winning season and playoffs right out of the gate, completely rebuilt the organization, and are on their way to another winning season and playoff appearance AT LEAST this year.

There isn't a Bills fan alive that wouldn't be begging for a team like this 5-10 years ago.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, I think that we benefited today from having Morse miss the preseason. Even though this was a “new” line configuration in season, this exact unit had over a month of playing and practicing together. They had unity which matters when they aren’t the most talented o line. 

Love the depth. I hope he can keep replenishing it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Morse        4 yrs   $44mm

Long          3 yrs    $12.6mm

Nsekhe     2 yrs    $10mm

Ford          4 yrs    $7.5mm

Feliciano  2 yrs   $7.25mm

Dawkins   4 yrs   $4mm

Spain        1 yr     $2mm

Waddle     1 yr     $2mm

Bates        3 yrs   $1.7mm

Boettger   3yrs    $1.7mm

We may need to consider signing some of these guys to extensions or new contracts soon. I definitely think we should like Feliciano up for another 2 years after next year as long as he stays productive. I wouldn’t mind seeing Spain back another year as well based on this season.

Is there anyone we need to target next year in FA that comes to mind as an immediate upgrade to the principal staters we have? I honestly can’t think of any that stand out as “must sign” players unlike last year with Morse.

• Like (+1) 1

People can and will criticize Beane, or any GM for that matter, by picking out the players that he missed on. I'm not sure that's the whole picture, although I think Beane seems to be above average in choosing players to build the roster.

I think the key to Beane is the way he maximizes value of assets. It's getting late in training camp and you have a guy who is roster worthy but buried on the depth chart and likely to be cut? Beane turns that guy into a late round pick instead of a late camp cut. He's also shown he has no qualms about moving around in the draft. What all this means is that, when making choices for the roster, he has more options than we have had in the past. He sees Cody Ford available early on day two? No problem, he's got the fifth rounder it takes to move up in his pocket. 

I think what makes Beane a keeper is his sense of getting the most out of his assets, giving himself the most options to choose from when spending capital, and  his confidence in pulling the trigger.

Edited by ocemur
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane did a good job on the OL so far.  One of the biggest issues for the Offense to overcome was the lack of time together, especially the OL with only 1 of 5 starters returning.  The entire offense has 9 new players in the starting 11.  

Not over spending is great.  Now I think they need to draft more good players and WR, OT,  and RB positions all need more help next year.  

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Beane did a good job on the OL so far.  One of the biggest issues for the Offense to overcome was the lack of time together, especially the OL with only 1 of 5 starters returning.  The entire offense has 9 new players in the starting 11.  

Not over spending is great.  Now I think they need to draft more good players and WR, OT,  and RB positions all need more help next year.  

He made Morse the highest paid center in the league when he was rated around 15th.  Murphy and Star were given very large contracts.  Long is getting 4 M per year to be a backup.  They have the money to spend so I really don't care. 

4 hours ago, jav said:

Gore?  He great as a 2nd back...

42 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Beane seems to do well with the depth guys but two of his bigger signings haven't been so great. Morse is not good. The line has played better both times he's been out this year. Kroft has also been a complete non-factor. 

What?!

Please explain.

Nice post OP...

On a related matter, can we agree that Spain is playing solid ?

He doesn’t get much love here, but I hope he gets retained...

The Super Bowl window is open for business, and if we can keep a solid vet like Spain on a reasonable deal the next 2-3 years then I’m all for that..

• Like (+1) 1