Bills @ Cowboys, Thanksgiving Day - 4:30

whatdrought

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I've seen a handful of these comments, that the Bills are somehow better disciplined than the Cowboys. Some quick and possibly reliable (?) internet research reveals this claim to be only partially true. https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

Buffalo has 85 (9th) recorded penalties for 669 yards (15th), while Dallas has 82 (14th) for 773 (5th). 

Buffalo is second-worst for false starts AND Offside, behind only Houston and Oakland, respectively. Boneheaded pre-snap stuff. Just brutal. Offensive holding and roughing the passer (to a lesser extent) are statistically issues as well.

So Dallas has racked up more yards, and have a ton of penalties categorized as "other" (which I don't see an explanation of). But much cleaner offensive execution.

Seems like a push, depending on what those "other" penalties (Dallas is 4th-worst and Buffalo is 4th-best here) are.

I don't know the other posters meaning.. but I take discipline to mean more than just penalties.  I take it as do you job on the field playing sound football.  ie. making the tackles, not blowing assignments, etc.  Penalties play in there too and the Bills sometimes have way too many.  Especially some boneheaded ones.

Just now, CLTbills said:

I like the white helmets too. For me (I was a toddler during the Super Bowl years so I don't really remember that) the red helmets are a reminder of twenty years of Bills suckitude.

it was hard to get used to at first when they went from white to red but winning games and the run they had, I didn't really care much about the helmet color but thought it was cool when they went back to white again. broke the drought in white, maybe win a post season game or two or who knows, win a super bowl in all blue and white helmets?

it's why we get up everyday, to allow the day to bring it to us and just as many are feeling a loss, even a blowout on the national stage, I'm going in to thanksgiving day feeling there is that chance that they could make that statement, finally in front of the country in blue on blue and white helmets!

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

WGR ....just said VanderEsch OUT.

HUGE.

With their best nose tackle (Woods) and their co-best LB (Vander Esch) both out, I think the Bills run game is seriously open for business. Their replacements are below average (Joe Thomas) and/or inexperienced (Trystan Hill). I believe Dallas is ranked just 18th against the run and it's probably fair to say that they would be 6-7 spots farther back without these two starters. Heath might also miss this game (I wouldn't be surprised- did anyone else see the hit he put on Jakobi Meyers on Sunday???).

Keep running up-tempo with Daboll calling lots of play action and jet sweeps from the box and we should be able to put up 20+ points on these guys. 

As for our defensive gameplan, give Tre White the tape of how Gilmore covered Amari Cooper and we should be fine there. I'm actually more worried about Gallup and Cobb, but our entire secondary has raised their game lately including Wallace. The Cowboys O-line, while very talented, is banged up (just like Denver's was) and I'm optimistic that we can get pressure on Dak (just give Lawson 100% of Murphy's snaps already!).

I know the narrative seems to be that Dallas is more desperate, but doesn't that also mean that all the pressure is on them? If we stay loose, don't beat ourselves, and play fearless like the last two weeks, we can absolutely win this game. Go Bills!

Also, NFL Network just tweeted that the Ravens have lost Matt Skura (their likely Pro Bowl center) for the season to a knee injury (sorry not sure how to link!). Hate to see players suffer serious injuries like that, but better believe that's going to have an impact on their rushing attack/overall offense and they won't have long to adjust before our match up with them. 

6 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Also, NFL Network just tweeted that the Ravens have lost Matt Skura (their likely Pro Bowl center) for the season to a knee injury (sorry not sure how to link!). Hate to see players suffer serious injuries like that, but better believe that's going to have an impact on their rushing attack/overall offense and they won't have long to adjust before our match up with them. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-challenges-against-the-bills

David: Having spent some time with the Bills’ tape, I’ve got to say I’m pretty concerned about rookie running back Devin Singletary. He’s quick, he’s shifty, he’s surprisingly powerful for a smaller back, and he’s got great contact balance. Doesn’t that sound like the type of back that has given the Cowboys fits this season? Thankfully, the Bills don’t throw him the ball much, but they probably should. Still, he’s averaging about 13 touches per game and the Cowboys will have to account for him.

Rob: I’m with Dave on Singletary. He’s a sturdy back with good vision and they’re giving him more and more work in a committee with Frank Gore. He got his first career 100-yard game last Sunday against Denver. Phillips is their leading sack guy and Brown their most featured receiver. I do think Allen’s mobility must be pointed out because Detroit’s Jeff Driskel was able to make a lot of plays with his feet two games ago.

This game will be a hard one for the fam. Pops was a diehard Bills fan and throughout my childhood we had season tickets and went to almost every game despite living in Atlanta. He in-turn made me and the rest of us diehard Bills fans. It will be the first big holiday without him, but I can’t help to think he’s pulling some strings with Poncho up there this year. Go Bills let’s get this W and shock the world!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just flip the love/hate parts, and then we totally agree!:thumbsup:

The red helmet, in my opinion obvs, looks so dated. Frankly the unis/helmets we have now are the best we've ever had. I really dislike just about the entire history of our uniforms with one exception being our current throwbacks which seem much more modern than what they are supposed to resemble.

My fandom started in the 80s so I'm using that as my starting point.

And I love a white helmet. Such a clean, classy look.

Edited by gregor7777
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rull interested to see how he matches up this week with covering Zeke out of the backfield on screens and checkdowns to the flats. Not an open field tackle match-up that anyone wants to see, but given how a resurgent Taron has been playing, I think he is the key piece in handling Zeke out of the backfield on screens/flat coverage and delayed short routes. 

That and I wonder how our rather newly implemented run blitzes and stunts fair against this OL - these to me are the two big pieces to the match-up game on a short week. This game will likely go the way of whoever can dominate the LOS on a shortened week - fortunately, our Def played a lot less on Sunday than Dallas' had to.

Edited by ctk232

16 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

The red helmet, in my opinion obvs, looks so dated. Frankly the unis/helmets we have now are the best we've ever had. I really dislike just about the entire history of our uniforms with one exception being our current throwbacks which seem much more modern than what they are supposed to resemble.

My fandom started in the 80s so I'm using that as my starting point.

And I love a white helmet. Such a clean, classy look.

At the end of the day we all bleed Buffalo, that’s what counts! 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I've seen a handful of these comments, that the Bills are somehow better disciplined than the Cowboys. Some quick and possibly reliable (?) internet research reveals this claim to be only partially true. https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

Buffalo has 85 (9th) recorded penalties for 669 yards (15th), while Dallas has 82 (14th) for 773 (5th). 

Buffalo is second-worst for false starts AND Offside, behind only Houston and Oakland, respectively. Boneheaded pre-snap stuff. Just brutal. Offensive holding and roughing the passer (to a lesser extent) are statistically issues as well.

So Dallas has racked up more yards, and have a ton of penalties categorized as "other" (which I don't see an explanation of). But much cleaner offensive execution.

Seems like a push, depending on what those "other" penalties (Dallas is 4th-worst and Buffalo is 4th-best here) are.

Discipline in my mind goes beyond penalties (although penalties are a factor into how disciplined a team plays.) The Bills in my opinion don't take super critical penalties in crunch situations. Yes they have had some in critical situations however the Cowboys have committed many bad penalties in crunch situations. I also think that the Cowboys seem to make some boneheaded plays that result in bad situations and costing them games or chances to win games. Whereas the Bills don't seem to make those type of plays as much. Maybe it is bias but I feel like the Cowboys at 6-5 are chronically underachieving. 

They obviously dropped a game against the Jets that of course they should have won, they then lost one possession games against the Saints (sans Brees), the Pats, and Vikings. I don't think you get to 6-5 with their level of talent without coaching being an issue.