Is Ed Oliver Still a Bust?

H2o

who is likely defensive rookie of the year candidate?  I have no idea.  

As for Ed, he's produced less than I would like, but he's basically had 2+ years off by playing at Houston.  He seems to be acclimating to the NFL.  If he has this level of production next year I'll be worried. 

And I'd extend Phillips now.  Dude is a beast.  

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have added very good depth at this position over past 2 years with good draft picks and free agent signings: Oliver and Harry, and Star, Phillips, Taylor (he will be productive) and now Luiget. 

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Does worry me a bit if he's going to be one of these guys that always needs extra motivation.  Granted he's only a rookie who likely has had it easy all his life as he was always the best player on the field which now is no longer true.  So he could learn a life lesson or will this become a year to year thing with him?  We shall see.

Having said that, agree he has looked much better.  Also may simply be after 10 weeks, the game has finally started to slow down for him.

I don't think his issue is motivation, rather I think it's learning to play within McD's system.  The dude's motor is going every play.  

On a side note, it looked like Ed should get an assist for Shaq's second sack, as the C was looking to help the RG on that play when Shaq blew by him.

39 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

10 LBs is a big deal though, and as you just pointed out, Atkins, who is one of the very best, recognized that he needed to get bigger and stronger.

Again, I could be wrong.  Fortunately we’ll have the opportunity to see next season.

I could agree to that

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

who is likely defensive rookie of the year candidate?  I have no idea.  

As for Ed, he's produced less than I would like, but he's basically had 2+ years off by playing at Houston.  He seems to be acclimating to the NFL.  If he has this level of production next year I'll be worried. 

And I'd extend Phillips now.  Dude is a beast.  

Yeah, I’d agree. Oliver needed/needs time to adjust to the NFL like all rookies. But his time at Houston slowed his development. 

25 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I don’t remember anyone saying, “Ed Oliver is a bust,” on this board, but enjoy dunking on their fictional selves.

Okay buddy. :thumbsup: The search function is your friend. Pretty sure there was a thread recently, like within the last 3 weeks recent, about his reduced amount of snaps where numerous people were talking :censored:..... Maybe even yourself. 

He's been playing better of late, but I am guessing that they'll ask him to bulk up a bit this offseason. Hopefully he can do that without losing too much of that quick first step. Hopefully his best days are still ahead. The real question is, how high is his ceiling.

57 minutes ago, H2o said:

Okay buddy. :thumbsup: The search function is your friend. Pretty sure there was a thread recently, like within the last 3 weeks recent, about his reduced amount of snaps where numerous people were talking :censored:..... Maybe even yourself. 

Yeah I’m sure there was a thread about how his snaps got cut, that doesn’t mean he was called a bust. 

This is pretty simple.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Harrison Philips is only 305 pounds

You can get stronger without adding 15 pounds... Geno Atkins who is comparable in size to Oliver played 90% of his career under 300 pounds

Just got to like 305 last 2 years

I think you are right, as he was brought in as a one-gap DT not a two-gap DT or NT. 

His build, style of play, his burst, low pad level, and pursuit reminded scouts of Aaron Donald sans all the success and proven ability:)

I think he is 10-15 lbs heavier than Donald, and I don't think the Bills want him much heavier. His game is speed and power leveraged to be a penetrating disruptive DT not a wide-bodied run-stuffer.

5 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah I’m sure there was a thread about how his snaps got cut, that doesn’t mean he was called a bust. 

This is pretty simple.

Like I said, the search function is your friend. :thumbsup: That wasn't the only one, thread where people have said it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Harrison Philips is only 305 pounds

You can get stronger without adding 15 pounds... Geno Atkins who is comparable in size to Oliver played 90% of his career under 300 pounds

Just got to like 305 last 2 years

And Kawaan Short. Came into the league under 300lbs. I know he is more like 310-315 now but he has added that weight gradually and some of his better seasons were right around that 305 mark.

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

This is pretty simple.

And as I said at the time... his snaps being cut was as much about the Bills desperately trying to get bigger bodies out there to clog up lanes in the run game than anything Oliver was doing "badly". Weeks when they wanted to use their heavy package a lot they had Star out there more. Last week against the Dolphins when they wanted to get after the passer Star's snaps were "cut" and Oliver was out there more. The fact is the Bills rotate their interior Dline a lot and while it is true that Oliver has lost that "starter" tag to Jordan Phillips he is still an important part of what they are doing defensively.

• Like (+1) 1