Is Ed Oliver Still a Bust?

H2o

As I said in the game day thread, I give a one season pass to all rookies, regardless of their draft position.

Oliver has tons of potential and ability.  He probably needs to pack on 15 lbs of muscle over the off-season to compete in the trenches at the pro level on a consistent basis.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

For those who have realistic expectations for a rookie DT, no, Ed Oliver is not a bust.  He needs time to acclimate to how NFL Olines block and how radically different it is from college.

For those harping on passing DK Metcalf for Ed Oliver, they'll never get it.

I'd also add that Oliver is McD's side of the ball. I just find it hard to believe that he whiffed there and won't be able to find a way to make it work. Same thing with Edmunds who's had his share of shaky games too. Besides, you sign vet players to play with your young QB which is what we did.

16 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

As I said in the game day thread, I give a one season pass to all rookies, regardless of their draft position.

Oliver has tons of potential and ability.  He probably needs to pack on 15 lbs of muscle over the off-season to compete in the trenches at the pro level on a consistent basis.

Realistically he will never add 15 pounds as a guy who lives on his quickness

He plays at 295 now and will never play at 310. Meatball was only 305 and Ed is built on speed and quickness

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Realistically he will never add 15 pounds as a guy who lives on his quickness

He plays at 295 now and will never play at 310. Meatball was only 305 and Ed is built on speed and quickness

He has more than a large enough frame to carry the extra weight.  As it currently stands he’s not strong enough to avoid getting bullied at the line of scrimmage, and is being taken out of the game too often.

Speed and quickness isn’t going to get it done while this is the case.  He needs to get stronger.  He may need to sacrifice some speed to do it, but it will improve him as a player.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

He has more than a large enough frame to carry the extra weight.  As it currently stands he’s not strong enough to avoid getting bullied at the line of scrimmage, and is being taken out of the game too often.

Speed and quickness isn’t going to get it done while this is the case.  He needs to get stronger.  He may need to sacrifice some speed to do it, but it will improve him as a player.

He will never play at 310, bank on it

1 hour ago, H2o said:

After seeing his snaps cut for a week or two the young man has responded. People are so quick to throw around the "bust" label just because a guy doesn't perform like an All Pro out of the gate. Pretty ridiculous. He's got a sack in each of his last two games now(I think he could have been credited for another .5 sack today as well) and you see him disrupting more on the interior. If he keeps up the trend, a sack per game for the rest of the year, he will finish his rookie season with 8. Whether he does continue the trend or not, I do think you can see flashes that the young man is gonna be a good player before it's all said and done. 

Most fans don't know the game of football they think if we draft a player and he doesn't look like a hall of famer right out of the gate he should be traded or cut. He appears to be getting the hang of things, he was Stout bull rushing his way to that sack almost for a safety. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He will never play at 310, bank on it

Then he won’t play, I don’t think, at least not beyond a minor rotational role.  As it is, his snap count had been cut.  If Harrison Phillips is healthy he’s not getting many snaps.

Given he had a solid day today, and I of course leave open the possibility that I’m wrong, but I really don’t think I am. 

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Then he won’t play, I don’t think, at least not beyond a minor rotational role.  As it is, his snap count had been cut.  If Harrison Phillips is healthy he’s not getting many snaps.

Given he had a solid day today, and I of course leave open the possibility that I’m wrong, but I really don’t think I am. 

Harrison Philips is only 305 pounds

You can get stronger without adding 15 pounds... Geno Atkins who is comparable in size to Oliver played 90% of his career under 300 pounds

Just got to like 305 last 2 years

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Harrison Philips is only 305 pounds

You can get stronger without adding 15 pounds... Geno Atkins who is comparable in size to Oliver played 90% of his career under 300 pounds

Just got to like 305 last 2 years

10 LBs is a big deal though, and as you just pointed out, Atkins, who is one of the very best, recognized that he needed to get bigger and stronger.

Again, I could be wrong.  Fortunately we’ll have the opportunity to see next season.

• Like (+1) 1