Is Ed Oliver Still a Bust?

H2o

After seeing his snaps cut for a week or two the young man has responded. People are so quick to throw around the "bust" label just because a guy doesn't perform like an All Pro out of the gate. Pretty ridiculous. He's got a sack in each of his last two games now(I think he could have been credited for another .5 sack today as well) and you see him disrupting more on the interior. If he keeps up the trend, a sack per game for the rest of the year, he will finish his rookie season with 8. Whether he does continue the trend or not, I do think you can see flashes that the young man is gonna be a good player before it's all said and done. 

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, H2o said:

After seeing his snaps cut for a week or two the young man has responded. People are so quick to throw around the "bust" label just because a guy doesn't perform like an All Pro out of the gate. Pretty ridiculous. He's got a sack in each of his last two games now(I think he could have been credited for another .5 sack today as well) and you see him disrupting more on the interior. If he keeps up the trend, a sack per game for the rest of the year, he will finish his rookie season with 8. Whether he does continue the trend or not, I do think you can see flashes that the young man is gonna be a good player before it's all said and done. 

He's had a decent couple of weeks. If he can keep it up, I'll eat my crow with a side of hot sauce.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Does worry me a bit if he's going to be one of these guys that always needs extra motivation.  Granted he's only a rookie who likely has had it easy all his life as he was always the best player on the field which now is no longer true.  So he could learn a life lesson or will this become a year to year thing with him?  We shall see.

Having said that, agree he has looked much better.  Also may simply be after 10 weeks, the game has finally started to slow down for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

I didn't know he was a bust.

For those who have realistic expectations for a rookie DT, no, Ed Oliver is not a bust.  He needs time to acclimate to how NFL Olines block and how radically different it is from college.

For those harping on passing DK Metcalf for Ed Oliver, they'll never get it.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

He was never a bust 1/2 way through the year.  Those who thought it show they have zero football IQ.

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I didn't know he was a bust.

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

When was he a bust?

This was for all of those talking about him being such because he wasn't the DPOY version of Aaron Donald from week 1 on. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

I believe it is spelled R.O.O.K I E.

• Like (+1) 1