How is your family going to handle Thanksgiving?

stevestojan

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Seriously?  You from WNY? 

2nd Monday in October for Canadians.

Yeah because i keep up with Canadian traditions. Did you know there are areas in WNY that arent close to Canada, no really there is.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As a society, no. We sort of have black Friday though now.... retailers not missing a trick. That's capitalism for ya. 

I normally join in and try and cook turkey during the Detroit game to eat during the Dallas game though. This year I have taken the day off (I am actually off the Amsterdam tomorrow) and will be cooking and eating earlier so that I can enjoy the Bills game. 

Like the effort and enjoy a Bills victory today !!

On 11/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, TigerJ said:

Our family is more "up in the air" with respect to Thanksgiving than we have ever been.  My daughter gave birth to her first yesterday.  My mother-in-law went in the hospital yesterday.  We don't have much room to host and we don't know yet who will come.  The only thing we do know is dinner would happen at 1 or 2 PM, if it happens and the TV will be on when the Bills are playing.

Congrats!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, Gordio said:

That sounds great.  I would love to do that.  

We go over my sisters every year.  When the schedule came out I told my wife my son & I are staying home this Thanksgiving as I hate watching the game with 20 people all talking.  My wife said "fine my daughter & I will go over my cousins this year."  So everything was set until my cousins decided to come in from Vegas for Thanksgiving this year.  So now, I can't stiff my sisters because my mom will be very upset so we are going over my sisters.  My BIL does have a pretty sweet setup in his basement so I will go down there when the game starts & hopefully everybody else will stay upstairs.  

At first I thought it was a typo but then it happened again and now I have to ask, not critically but out of curiosity. You say "going over my cousins" and "going over my sisters." Wouldn't this mean you are reviewing them or actually running them over with something (?)? Is omitting the "to" (going over TO my sister's) a regional thing? Where are you from?

On 11/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or do I serve the bottle with dinner and likely have it consumed well before kickoff?  Dinner will be the traditional Thanksgiving lasagna (red tomato sauce) and garlic bread with veg sides, so it would be suitable.  Dessert will be pumpkin pie, the traditional cheesecake my MIL made, and brownies, so a bit heavy to consume the full bottle after dessert.

How did your family adopt the lasagna tradition instead of turkey? What is your ethnic background? I used to know Italians who did this but I haven't seen it much in the mainstream.

I'll be honest in that I'm not a huge fan of a Bills game on Thanksgiving.  We go to my wife's sister's house every year so I don't have to do any work which is fantastic.  I just want to eat, drink, relax, and make fun of the Lions and Cowboys without worrying about the Bills.  We've got to shift our meals around (we'll be eating around 3:30 instead of 6:00) because of this game.  It's my tradition to drink on an empty stomach until mealtime as it makes me slightly more hungry.  I guess I'll have to start early and I hope it's at least another 25 years before we have to play on Thanksgiving.

in the last 24 years since my divorce (never remarried) I may of sat down at a table for thanksgiving twice.

what I do on this day is remind myself (aside from watching football) how thankful I am for those memories of thanksgiving day and the smell of good food throughout the house with family are cherished memories for sure.

...today is my daughter and I (wife passed away 4 years ago)....I let her pick the menu as she hates turkey......been prepping since 5:30.......son and daughter-in-law went out of town to her parents....then we do Thanksgiving Sunday at their house.....probably will be asleep before half time....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2