How is your family going to handle Thanksgiving?

stevestojan

2 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

My sister, who is hosting this year and purportedly a Bills fan, didn't know the Bills are playing tomorrow and notified everyone that dinner will be served at 3:30pm (which means somewhere between 4:30pm and 5pm).  When I informed her the about the game she said the plan is to eat at the same time and to confiscate everyone's phones/iPads etc, record the game and watch it after we finish eating.

Did you pick on your sister as a kid?

I’m in Portland with the in laws and the wife’s siblings/nieces/nephews.  UNC-Michigan on at 10:30, Bills on at 1:30.  Safe to say, I won’t be cooking or spending any time with anyone not in front of the TV.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

We do American Thanksgiving in Canada. We always have a huge party. 
35 people coming at 630pm (it’s not a holiday up here). Timing sucks what with the game on at that time. But they will have to deal with my insane fandom. 
Just hoping the game is out of hand by then (31-7 Bills) and I can focus on being a good host. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Friends of ours have invited us over and no one, including my wife, cares much about football let alone the Bills. I am still trying to work out how to watch the game without annoying anyone. 

Fake an illness. No one will want you to be around b/c of the (fake) germs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We do Thanksgiving at our place, so I make the rules. We have 18-20 coming and will eat at 2:00. Since we started hosting more than a decade ago, this has never been a a game day, but I’m thrilled that it happened. And I’m thrilled that I get to call the shots. My wife gets it. She’s not a “Bills fan” so much as she “gets it”. Some things in life you just accept. Our first two years of marriage the Bills were 2-14 back to back. She asked “why do you do this to yourself?” Three decades later.....she gets it, or at least accepts it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A subtle reminder to my wife that it's a 4:30 game is all that needed to be said. She sent out the play call from there and the rest of the team, err family will execute. We'll be fattened up with a solid base before kickoff. I'm pretty fired up for this game, I can't wait! :beer:

4 minutes ago, babulator said:

A subtle reminder to my wife that it's a 4:30 game is all that needed to be said. She sent out the play call from there and the rest of the team, err family will execute. We'll be fattened up with a solid base before kickoff. I'm pretty fired up for this game, I can't wait! :beer:

Isn’t it great when people just accept and get with the program?

About a decade ago my niece walked into the room and turned off the TV during a Thanksgiving Day game. She felt we should spend more time talking and connecting as a family rather than watching some game on TV. I think the only thing that saved her from getting stuff thrown at her was she was standing in front of the TV, and people were afraid she just might duck! 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Isn’t it great when people just accept and get with the program?

About a decade ago my niece walked into the room and turned off the TV during a Thanksgiving Day game. She felt we should spend more time talking and connecting as a family rather than watching some game on TV. I think the only thing that saved her from getting stuff thrown at her was she was standing in front of the TV, and people were afraid she just might duck! 

It's great and a little bit funny. Everybody knows, the in-laws, siblings and families, they're all coming over and everybody knows. Bills.

I've quietly been telling them all how much I love this team. Top to bottom, soft spoken humble guys that are easy to root for. They have a good team vibe and some young guys that are playing well... upside.... playoffs etc... Thanksgiving! Go Bills!

11 minutes ago, babulator said:

It's great and a little bit funny. Everybody knows, the in-laws, siblings and families, they're all coming over and everybody knows. Bills.

I've quietly been telling them all how much I love this team. Top to bottom, soft spoken humble guys that are easy to root for. They have a good team vibe and some young guys that are playing well... upside.... playoffs etc... Thanksgiving! Go Bills!

Love this team! And their direction! About a dozen of tomorrow’s crowd was here Sunday for the Bills game and......oh.........my mom’s 92nd BDay. That meal was 95% on me, so I had to behave in the beverage department until after the game and dinner was served. Tomorrow? The wife does tomorrow! I did one cauliflower dish which you can do a day in advance. It is DONE! Pop in the oven done! 

I might scare some people tomorrow if this goes south. I’m MUCH better than I used to be, but sometimes I want to claim Tourette’s Syndrome! It just happened! I didn’t see that coming out of my mouth! 

• Like (+1) 1

Great thread!  I'm in California and the only die-hard Bills fan in the house... but I'm also the cook/host.  The main course will be homemade wings in honor of the boys in blue, fried and served after the game is over.  Fortunately my family "gets" me and thinks this is appropriate!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

I told my wife we were having dinner at our house this year so dinner will be by 3pm and football is on no matter what. She was surprisingly happy to hear we didn’t have to go to the In Laws and eat at the usual 530, which is god awful late for Thanksgiving. 

you spelled “I asked my wife if we could have” wrong. 

:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, UB2SF said:

Great thread!  I'm in California and the only die-hard Bills fan in the house... but I'm also the cook/host.  The main course will be homemade wings in honor of the boys in blue, fried and served after the game is over.  Fortunately my family "gets" me and thinks this is appropriate!

Thank goddess for the early west coast kickoff!  Guests will be arriving just about halftime with dinner scheduled for shortly after game ends.  :thumbsup:

p.s.   are you in the city?

Edited by KD in CA

On 11/24/2019 at 7:26 PM, Gray Beard said:

No football for me.  Family coming in from out of town. Four generations in one room. No way I’m going to be able to get free. 

I am happy to spend my day with my daughter, SIL, and granddaughter. It’s the MIL and FIL I can do without. Did I mention that they are Fox News junkies?

Dude, I respect your approach, however I have to say you can show the family you care about them AND love your team at the same time. 

Stream it on your phone or a nearby laptop w no sound, play some  music and keep the conversation going but also keep an eye on your game.

Non-sports people just need to be trained, this is something you're passionate about and it means a lot to you, just like family. Show em you can do both, which you can, the average NFL play takes 5 seconds.

Evolve dude.  Take em with u.  They'll understand and maybe even respect ur wishes more than they do now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bakin said:

We do American Thanksgiving in Canada. We always have a huge party. 
35 people coming at 630pm (it’s not a holiday up here). Timing sucks what with the game on at that time. But they will have to deal with my insane fandom. 
Just hoping the game is out of hand by then (31-7 Bills) and I can focus on being a good host. 

Why and when is Canadian thanksgiving?

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

@GunnerBill do you guys have thanksgiving across the pond?

As a society, no. We sort of have black Friday though now.... retailers not missing a trick. That's capitalism for ya. 

I normally join in and try and cook turkey during the Detroit game to eat during the Dallas game though. This year I have taken the day off (I am actually off the Amsterdam tomorrow) and will be cooking and eating earlier so that I can enjoy the Bills game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1