Still worried about the Bills' offense?

eball

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea not really understanding the thread.... solid game but they scored 20 points and hurt themselves with penalties several times throughout the game.

Yep.... and I still hate it. Gives teams opportunities to get back into the game..... they went with a different, more aggressive approach last week and then went back the conservative nature again this week. Don’t really understand it.

If the game was still going on right now, Denver still wouldn’t have more than 13 points...

Our staff knew it was game over, absent any major mistakes, after that first drive of the second half.   

This game was incredibly boring, but no need to throw the ball around in a windy stadium for no reason.  

I want to criticize McDermott and staff for being so run heavy and conservative, but I 100% get it.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

If the game was still going on right now, Denver still wouldn’t have more than 13 points...

Our staff knew it was game over, absent any major mistake, after that first drive of the second half.   

This game was incredibly boring, but no need to throw the ball around in a windy stadium for no reason.  

I want to criticize McDermott and staff for being so run heavy, but I 100% get it. 

To me, this is the game to do what they did and I have no problem with it. Our defense had the game in control. In other games, with similar scores, I think it's bad coaching to take your foot off the gas. It gives you less of a chance to win. And most all of the best coaches will try to bury teams. In today's game, I didn't mind the conservative nature. But it cuts down on stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh is improving every week. Just not at the lightning speed pace that impatient fans demand.  I'm very very encouraged by his progress. This is an offense that won't be fully ready till next year. This year reminds me of 1989. Next year might be our 1990.

I just don’t want a “Ronnie Harmon” moment in the playoffs!

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

Stay with the Running game. It does wonders.  We don't want to get carried away in Dallas.  Running the ball and stopping the Run keeps their best players on offense off the field. 

Spain is signed for two years and is a good quality backup.  I don't believe any of the OL players will be leaving.  

The Bills need to sign Dawkins, Poyer, Phillips and Lawson.

Nah Spain is a 1 year deal and is a good quality starter. 

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Denver doesn't have a good record but their defense is inarguably top 10. 9th in DVOA, 8th in yards per play, 4th in yards per game, 8th in points per game. Our offense figured something out the past 2 weeks. Daboll going to the booth and running the no huddle have given us life. Still in need of an elite talent but we know they can move the ball.

They are also #2 in red zone defense.

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, we scored less than league average points against a better than average defense. We scored essentially spot on what they allow. Relatively average day.

the defense pitched a heckuva game against a bad offense. 

it was a good day. I don’t know that anyone should be doing call out threads on behalf of the offense though.

It should be obvious that they could have scored more if they were actually trying.  This offense went in to shut down for most of the 4th quarter just trying to get Gore his yards and kill clock.  The Bills kneeled down the ball on the 22 yard line after running half the field.  If they wanted to put up more points they could have.

Last two opponents are 5-17, not convinced yet. Let's see how they do against the next two opponents where they potentially need to put up the same amount, if not more points, against higher quality opponents. They won the last two games like they were supposed to, convincingly, but let's be real the opponents sucked. It's like solving a 1+1 math problem and then turning around and saying your a mathematician now, let's pump the brakes.

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

it was a good day. I don’t know that anyone should be doing call out threads on behalf of the offense though.

Hey man, you start the threads you want to start and I'll start the threads I want to start.

Everyone has trashed the offense and in back to back weeks they've looked like a better-than-average NFL offense.  I don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that even when the team wasn't scoring they've been moving the ball, as evidenced by their overall yardage ranking.  They just won two NFL games in a row by 17 points, which is an anomaly in this league.

With so many new pieces and the limited amount of time the CBA allows for practice, it was only reasonable to suggest it would take them some time.  If you want to carry on with the "yeah, but I need to see it consistently" refrain be my guest, but I see an offense that is most definitely trending up and giving opponents multiple things to worry about.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Hey man, you start the threads you want to start and I'll start the threads I want to start.

Everyone has trashed the offense and in back to back weeks they've looked like a better-than-average NFL offense.  I don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing that even when the team wasn't scoring they've been moving the ball, as evidenced by their overall yardage ranking.  They just won two NFL games in a row by 17 points, which is an anomaly in this league.

With so many new pieces and the limited amount of time the CBA allows for practice, it was only reasonable to suggest it would take them some time.  If you want to carry on with the "yeah, but I need to see it consistently" refrain be my guest, but I see an offense that is most definitely trending up and giving opponents multiple things to worry about.

I think they looked like a better than average offense through 3 weeks too. Between the Pats week 4 and the Browns week 10 decidedly less so. This week was, as @HappyDays referred to above, the first time they did it against a genuinely good defense.

How can anyone be concerned? They scored 20 points (could have always scored more but just didn't feel like it). I bet KC and Baltimore are working right now to revamp their offences to copy the Bills juggernaut.

Does anyone really feel confident that if the Bills had to play KC, Baltimore, SF, NO, or another of the top teams in the league that this offence could get them a win right now if the defence doesn't play lights out perfect?

Come back in a few weeks with this post of the Bills shock the league and beat Dallas and Baltimore. Then you can start bragging and calling out all the people who doubted the offence.....

2 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Last two opponents are 5-17, not convinced yet. Let's see how they do against the next two opponents where they potentially need to put up the same amount, if not more points, against higher quality opponents. They won the last two games like they were supposed to, convincingly, but let's be real the opponents sucked. It's like solving a 1+1 math problem and then turning around and saying your a mathematician now, let's pump the brakes.

Here is the interesting thing about your comment .. the Bills have won 8 games and the Cowboys 6, but the Cowboys are a good team per your comment and we are not certain about the Bills because who they have beaten. Who exactly have the Cowboys beaten .. the murderer's row of Giants * 2, Redskins, Dolphins, Lions, and Eagles.  Since they beat the eagles and we lost .. does that make the difference? Then what about the jets who we beat and they lost to?  So if we beat the Cowboys do we say the Cowboys are not very good because they are a .500 team.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

If so you have my sympathies.  God forbid a team with 7-8 new starters be allowed to work things out and get better as the season progresses.

With back-to-back 17 point wins the Bills are ruining the "they only scrape by crappy opponents" narrative!

Yes they beat the last 2 sub .500 teams by the amount they should.  

But don't expect everyone to start drinking the koolaid until the Bills beat "someone".  If they manage to beat the cowgirls Thursday, then your post has merit. IMO.

Except for the horrific, head scratching, int yesterday, I thought Allen played extremely well.  Statistically not so much, but against bottom feeders he isn't being asked to be more than a game manager.  And even then, they still managed 20 points.  He will likely need to be more than a game manager Thursday to beat the cowgirls.

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

still needs weapons. 

Need a compliment to J Brown

Would love Tyler Boyd from Cincy

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Oh phooey, your brown eye is puckered!

Every week Allen shows up and and the team wins, haters always say, well yeah wait til the next 2 games, they are really going to be the test. The Bills and Allen dominate those 2 games and hates keep pushing the hate down the line with, yeah wait til the next 2 games.......blah blah blah. 

How about time to admit Allen is going to be special and this is a pretty good team. 

Edited by pop gun
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yes they beat the last 2 sub .500 teams by the amount they should.  

But don't expect everyone to start drinking the koolaid until the Bills beat "someone".  If they manage to beat the cowgirls Thursday, then your post has merit. IMO.

Except for the horrific, head scratching, int yesterday, I thought Allen played extremely well.  Statistically not so much, but against bottom feeders he isn't being asked to be more than a game manager.  And even then, they still managed 20 points.  He will likely need to be more than a game manager Thursday to beat the cowgirls.

Man, some of you guys are so afraid to feel good about the Bills it's heartbreaking.  Lighten up!  They put up 420+ yards in consecutive weeks and literally dominated a very good Broncos defense.  The Bills' offense is not bad now and only getting better.  Like I said in the original post, if you're still "worried" about the offense you have my sympathies!

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Here is the interesting thing about your comment .. the Bills have won 8 games and the Cowboys 6, but the Cowboys are a good team per your comment and we are not certain about the Bills because who they have beaten. Who exactly have the Cowboys beaten .. the murderer's row of Giants * 2, Redskins, Dolphins, Lions, and Eagles.  Since they beat the eagles and we lost .. does that make the difference? Then what about the jets who we beat and they lost to?  So if we beat the Cowboys do we say the Cowboys are not very good because they are a .500 team.

It's more that the Cowboys are better then any of the teams that the Bills have beat this season. Are people here really confident that when they need to start playing the better teams in the league when they have to score more then 20 points, that the Bills will not have a problem doing it? They scored what the Broncos defence has averaged giving up all season.

17 hours ago, eball said:

If so you have my sympathies.  God forbid a team with 7-8 new starters be allowed to work things out and get better as the season progresses.

With back-to-back 17 point wins the Bills are ruining the "they only scrape by crappy opponents" narrative!

There's still a LOT that needs to improve, I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Winning by 17 points when your opponent scores only 3 isn't a testament to the offense this week, it's a testament to the defense.

The offense had such amazing starting field position so many times throughout this game, yet wouldn't go anywhere with it. They also couldn't capitalize in the redzone, often going backwards instead of putting up any real threat of scoring TD's. 

If the offense was "figured out," they sure didn't look like it yesterday. When you consistently start around the 40 yard line (or in opponent's territory) and keep coming away having to punt, it's a sign there's a LOT of work to be done.

If you think this means the Bills have escaped the "scrape by crappy opponents" by putting up a whopping 20 points against a 3-8 team and 37 points against a 2-9 team then I'm happy for you. But if we're going to use those teams as measuring sticks, I guess the Jets are even more dominant having beat the 6-5 Raiders by 31 points and the 2-9 Redskins by 17 points (we only beat them by 16!)

The Browns also just blew out the Dolphins 41 to 24... I thought everyone was saying Baker Mayfield was trash? But since we're now claiming scoring 20 points against the Broncos & 37 against the Dolphins means we've arrived, I guess Mayfield & Darnold have arrived too! At least both of them have beaten teams with winning records.

32 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's more that the Cowboys are better then any of the teams that the Bills have beat this season. Are people here really confident that when they need to start playing the better teams in the league when they have to score more then 20 points, that the Bills will not have a problem doing it? They scored what the Broncos defence has averaged giving up all season.

Dallas also hasn't beat anyone with a winning record. 

It will be a really interesting match up. 

If Tre can lock down Cooper, and we can mostly keep Zeke contained, our offense shouldn't have to score a ton of points to win.