Favorite ZZTop song? Bear in mind there are no wrong answers here.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You ever see the video of Keith inducting ZZ Top into the rock and roll hall of fame? It's just incoherent rambling, and it was beautiful. 

No, but thanks, I will check it out later, lunch is almost over.

Can't calculate the number of times I cranked this song at extremely high volume as a young man.

By far my favorite band growing up - til they sold out and became cartoons.  It's a shame most people equate them with beards and the crappy commercial synth rock that came after - not the raw straight ahead rock/blues that defined the original band.

Jimi Hendrix once said Billy Gibbons was his favorite guitarist.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Can't calculate the number of times I cranked this song at extremely high volume as a young man.

By far my favorite band growing up - til they sold out and became cartoons.  It's a shame most people equate them with beards and the crappy commercial synth rock that came after - not the raw straight ahead rock/blues that defined the original band.

Jimi Hendrix once said Billy Gibbons was his favorite guitarist.

The irony is the Liner notes for ZZ TOP'S first album.

"In the days of homogenized rock, synthesized music, retakes, overdubbing, multi, multi-tracking, an honest recording by accomplished musicians is a rewarding pleasure.

ZZ TOP'S FIRST ALBUM is just such a recording. This is the way blues-rock is meant to be played; openly, honestly, and spontaneously. It takes an experienced sensitive group such as ZZ TOP to capture the abstract blues from within and combine it with the ability to feel and play good hard rock without losing their communication."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The irony is the Liner notes for ZZ TOP'S first album.

"In the days of homogenized rock, synthesized music, retakes, overdubbing, multi, multi-tracking, an honest recording by accomplished musicians is a rewarding pleasure.

ZZ TOP'S FIRST ALBUM is just such a recording. This is the way blues-rock is meant to be played; openly, honestly, and spontaneously. It takes an experienced sensitive group such as ZZ TOP to capture the abstract blues from within and combine it with the ability to feel and play good hard rock without losing their communication."

OMG - I swear to god I literally googled "ZZ Top's first album liner notes" and even took a short (unsucessful) look in the attic for my old box of LPs before posting - looking exactly for that note.  I always think of those liner notes when the subject of ZZ Top comes up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aireskoi said:

ZZ Top released a 6 Pack of their 1st 6 albums in '90.  I borrowed it from my uncle right before I moved to college, and all of the songs were new to me.  I played the 3 disc set over and over.  

So many great ones...

The 6 Pack was great, that's how I got introduced to those albums. 

But do yourself a favor and get a hold of the 2006 re-release of Tres Hombres with the original mix. It's noticeably better than the remixed version on 6 Pack.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Still has great tone to his voice.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Can't pick just one. Just saw them last week, but unfortunately it was huge package show with Brad Paisley, Sheryl Crow, Doobie Brothers and Joe Walsh, so then only played the hits.

Waitin' For the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.

Blue Jeans Blues.

Just got Paid.

La Grange

I Gotsta Get Paid which was their bluesy take on a popular rap song from the local Houston scene in the 90s. Their newest album from 2012 was produced by Ric Ruben and the best thing they've recorded since Degüello. 

thats because Rubin is an excellent producer and puts out some of the best Metal.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

kind of like lays chips, can't just have one. wasn't a real fan of anything after '79. once they got in to the '80's, like many bands they commercialized their music, mainly for air play.

if country music sounded like this then i could listen to it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1